The Student Room Group

Why did you choose your degree?

Interested in hearing your reasons and your ambitions.
Reply 1
I needed to do a degree to get better jobs, so I figured that given I wasn't going to do a vocational on industry degree, it might as well be in something I liked.

Happily, I was unusually good at it and stuck around through to PhD, and now work as an academic. So my gamble on doing something cool to improve my meagre job prospects paid off.
Original post by Komodo772

I chose my degree because my mother had a vision in me and witnessed me have passion for ICT and Technology as a child especially how I was always techy and was able to fix hardware peripherals like routers setting up the family computer and routers. I’ve now successfully completed a degree in Computer Networks and Technology and I would love a job as a 1st/2nd line Technical Support. And I would love to start off low and build and earn my way up to promotion and management within IT before becoming a Tech Tycoon like Peter Jones
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
I originally planned to study medicine basically from as long as I can remember, during college I had the shocking realisation I actually would be a horrible doctor and have terrible people skills. I still loved the science behind medicine though and to the dismay of my parents and a lot of unnecessary arguments I chose to do biomed! I'm really loving it currently and I would love to have a job in lab research maybe in the genetics field :smile:

Hi @Komodo772,

Great Question! Its great to see and read through peoples' journeys and ambitions :smile:

Personally, I chose to study Photography at Chester University as I believe I wanted to succeed in an industry that I enjoy creating content for as well as, allowing me to balance lifestyle and hobbies away from my career. Studying a creative degree was always a daunting thought as its not as straightforward however, with extensive research and commitment to my aspirations I found Photography is a great way to express my creativity and passion for helping others capture precious moments.

Finding the university of Chester was infract the biggest blessing as it allowed me to build upon my ambitions comfortably - finding work experience in events, meeting new people/contacts and having the resources from the university itself to aid my studies and to build a great portfolio! I believe if I had studied anywhere else I wouldn't have had the opportunities to get my 'foot in the door' in this industry, where the future ahead of me is more exciting and less daunting! I now have a number of experiences and photographs under my belt that will either; help me apply to future jobs working for companies or, help me start up my own website working freelance.

All the best,
Ellie

Hey,

So I studied criminology, after studying Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A-Level. If I'm honest, those A levels made me realise that I was done with hard numbers, and considering my career ambitions didn't require a specific degree, I just went with what I was interested in, and I can't lie, it was the best choice for me! I've had so much fun studying something I actually enjoy.

Then I just had to choose a uni. And for me I knew I wanted a campus uni and the course at Lancaster looked like it suited my interest. I also liked the location and how well connected it is as a city, especially how close it is to the lake district.

Such a good question though!
Kat

Hey there @Komodo772 !
My degree is called 'Media' and I chose it because at the time I wasn't sure which area of the media I wanted to go into and the course felt like a broad overview into the industry. In hindsight, I should have held off and waited a year to find out what I wanted to do but I felt the pressure of other people and all my friends going so felt like I had to to catch up. However, I'm nearly at the end of my degree now and I really don't regret the opportunities its given me. I can also say I've got a degree (all being well with my results) which is a huge bonus on my CV. Overall I don't regret going to university at all because it's opened up a huge range of career paths for me but I do wish I'd waited until I knew fully what I wanted to do before making such a rash decision.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
for some reason, 3 years ago i thought History was a good subject to choose for uni. during a-levels i stuck with RE, history & english lit, bc i thought core subjects were more respected. so i chose history (even tho i didnt particularly enjoy it but i was good at it). dont make that mistake. a few weeks in i realised the lack of job prospects and tried changing to law. tbf i stuck with it bc i knew i could still do law if i wanted. now ive discovered my passion for psychology and im doing a conversion course. funnily enough, on open evening for my sixth form, i adored psychology but i said' everyone does it' so i didnt choose it - i thought it was a dumb subject bc it wasnt a core one. idk where this line of thinking came from but i wish i did law or psychology from the start.
I had a passion for specific areas of science & technology, which i actively explored as a hobby before university and the degree gave me the skills and professional scientific understanding to work on the same technology at a professional level.
Reply 9
Original post by epicgang432
for some reason, 3 years ago i thought History was a good subject to choose for uni. during a-levels i stuck with RE, history & english lit, bc i thought core subjects were more respected. so i chose history (even tho i didnt particularly enjoy it but i was good at it). dont make that mistake. a few weeks in i realised the lack of job prospects and tried changing to law. tbf i stuck with it bc i knew i could still do law if i wanted. now ive discovered my passion for psychology and im doing a conversion course. funnily enough, on open evening for my sixth form, i adored psychology but i said' everyone does it' so i didnt choose it - i thought it was a dumb subject bc it wasnt a core one. idk where this line of thinking came from but i wish i did law or psychology from the start.

It's good that you're now doing something that you care about, but it's quite sad that young ones with faulty lines of reasoning still don't have a corrective influence in school or at college to help guide a better initial choice. I think about this often. We (academics, teaching staff, support staff) could be doing better for young people in that situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending