The Student Room Group

Hello, has anybody studied the an online psychology masters in Uk

Hello
I’m interested in applying for a psychology online masters degree but I don’t know which one to choose.
Has anybody studied the Psychology and Neuroscience one at king college london and if yes? Was it worth it? What about the conversion psychology one at university of Exeter?
I’d really appreciate if you give me some information since I’m not from Uk and I don’t know much.
Thanks in advance !
Reply 1
Original post by elib44440
Hello
I’m interested in applying for a psychology online masters degree but I don’t know which one to choose.
Has anybody studied the Psychology and Neuroscience one at king college london and if yes? Was it worth it? What about the conversion psychology one at university of Exeter?
I’d really appreciate if you give me some information since I’m not from Uk and I don’t know much.
Thanks in advance !

Hi!
I can't help much when it comes to deciding on a university, but I just wanted to check you are aware of the difference between an MSc in Psychology (or related subjects), and an MSc conversion. The conversion courses are aimed at people who did not study psychology at undergraduate level and/or those who do not have graduate basis for chartered membership with the British Psychological Society (BPS) (something you will need if you wish to practice as a psychologist in the UK in future). To get this, you need to complete either a BSc in Psychology or a conversion MSc that is accredited by the BPS.
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
Hi!
I can't help much when it comes to deciding on a university, but I just wanted to check you are aware of the difference between an MSc in Psychology (or related subjects), and an MSc conversion. The conversion courses are aimed at people who did not study psychology at undergraduate level and/or those who do not have graduate basis for chartered membership with the British Psychological Society (BPS) (something you will need if you wish to practice as a psychologist in the UK in future). To get this, you need to complete either a BSc in Psychology or a conversion MSc that is accredited by the BPS.

Thank you so much for your answer. Yes I’m aware personally I didn’t study psychology in the undergraduate level that’s why I’m looking for conversion courses.
Yes I’m aware personally I didn’t study psychology in the undergraduate level that’s why I’m looking for conversion courses.

With regards to "the Psychology and Neuroscience one at king college london" can you confirm exactly what course you're talking about? Is it perhaps "Psychology & Neuroscience of Mental Health", here, which results in a PG Cert, a PG Dip or an MSc?

As @Nerol has mentioned above, if your ultimate aim is to practice as a Psychologist in the UK (which it may not be), and you don't have an undergraduate degree in Psychology, then the Master's you take must be a conversion course accredited by the BPS. The course description makes no claim that this course is so accredited and the course does not appear on the list of BPS accredited conversion courses here. In fact the are no accredited conversion courses offered by King's College London on the BPS list.

Perhaps you're not planning to practice in the UK, making accreditation of the course irrelevant. However, it's worth checking that there's not a similar requirement in your home country. It's also worth asking yourself why this particular course is not accredited and whether the BPS felt it was lacking in some way.
Hello
Thanks in advance !

@elib44440
I did my MSc in Psychology at Arden University and had a great time. The key thing is to choose one that is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS)

If you want a holistic picture of a University I would check two things. 1) their report with the QAA (who are a bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) review - both readily available online.

Here is a link to the Arden program - there are both 100% online and blended learning options

https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/postgraduate/masters/msc-psychology-bps

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
If you are just wanting to do a masters without the intent to do further study to practise as a psychologist in the UK, you could do any masters you meet the requirements for. Some may specify a degree (or joint honours) and some may not (or allow a related degree subject)
Reply 6
Hello
Thanks in advance !
Wondering as well

Quick Reply

Latest