The Student Room Group

idk if i want to be a doctor

i feel like my parents have always projected their hopes of becoming doctors onto me and now idk if its something i want to do or something ive felt like i have to do. when i was younger, my grandparents would tell me how im gonna be a good doctor someday and ive had so many relatives bring doctor kits. im going to a levels in a bit and idk if this is what i want for MYSELF
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
i feel like my parents have always projected their hopes of becoming doctors onto me and now idk if its something i want to do or something ive felt like i have to do. when i was younger, my grandparents would tell me how im gonna be a good doctor someday and ive had so many relatives bring doctor kits. im going to a levels in a bit and idk if this is what i want for MYSELF

you might want to take a gapyear to figure out what you want because you dont want to be doing something like med half heartedly
Reply 2
you might want to take a gapyear to figure out what you want because you dont want to be doing something like med half heartedly

do u have any advice on how to choose a career in general?? cuz im so clueless and i dont really wanna take a gap year
do u have any advice on how to choose a career in general?? cuz im so clueless and i dont really wanna take a gap year

I think most people don't choose a career so much as fall into one. Outside of specific professional fields where you need particular qualifications to work in it (e.g. most healthcare fields, engineering at least in terms of engineering design roles, in some ways law although that is not even particularly a limitation; more generally "numerate" degrees being required for a lot of computing sector/"tech" roles) most will just do a degree in whatever area they find intellectually stimulating then apply to grad schemes and so on, the majority of which are generalist and have no requirements in terms of what degree you did. They will end up going with whatever they get offered a lot of the time, but might narrow things down based on general interest in the sector the company operates in, and perhaps also for personal/moral/other reasons (e.g. some might not feel comfortable working for an oil company or something).

You don't really need to "choose" a career when you are 18 anyway, much as it often feels like there is pressure to do so. Unless you definitely know you want to go down a specific route, don't worry about it overly much and just explore your options :smile:
Reply 4
I think the best thing to do is to find out what YOU like, what subjects do you like (sciences, social sciences, arts) and what things do you like to do after you've worked this out then you can start looking into careers you think would be suitable and that you would enjoy rather than what you're parents want.
Medicine is a huge commitment if you choose to do it and I wouldn't recommend going into it if you're going to regret it for the rest of your life. Ultimately it is you're decision and you shouldn't choose this route just to appease parents and family.
When going to uni the degree you choose will help you go into a variety of fields for example if you do psychology you could still get a job in marketing or teaching after wards, you don't need to be a psychologist, the degree you choose won't decide your career unless it is something like medicine which has a direct route so don't feel to much pressure and find something you enjoy. And there is always alternate routes too like apprenticeships :smile:
Reply 5
i think whats stressing me out is i want my future to be clear yk? ik thats asking too much but i like knowing where im going and i think thats what made being a doctor sound so good cuz its a stable job where i can earn well enough to support myself in the future. but i think for me, when i thought of the whole 'helping ppl' thing i always thought of it in a way where i cant make things like pace makers or biotic arms. but since these type of places arent there e v e r y w h e r e i go, im scared i wont be able to find a job easily in the future...

subjects wise, ive always loved math and im INTERESTED in bio but i dont think for me that directly latches onto working at a hospital.
Reply 6
i think whats stressing me out is i want my future to be clear yk? ik thats asking too much but i like knowing where im going and i think thats what made being a doctor sound so good cuz its a stable job where i can earn well enough to support myself in the future. but i think for me, when i thought of the whole 'helping ppl' thing i always thought of it in a way where i cant make things like pace makers or biotic arms. but since these type of places arent there e v e r y w h e r e i go, im scared i wont be able to find a job easily in the future...

subjects wise, ive always loved math and im INTERESTED in bio but i dont think for me that directly latches onto working at a hospital.

Are you currently in year 12? Maybe look into degrees like biochemistry, pharmacology, maths and there are also loads of unis that do maths and biology as a joint degree. Career wise there is loads of careers invoving maths and/ or biology that don't involve working in healthcare, you could be a research assistant or go into teaching and become a professor, If you want to make pace makers and stuff and be more hands on why don't you look into biomedical engineering which may be more suited to you
Reply 7

Pretty much same thing happened here maths and science is my love but they wanted me to become a doc and i did ALs and now 6th month in med school I never wanted to be here im going through a lot at the moment feel like a melt down, the workload annoying selfish colleagues cadavers lectures I ffeel like Im going to suiccide just do WHAT YOU LOVE dont give a **** about what others say cuz its gonna suck

look at multiple factors-
from finance to enjoyment
and then decide something linked to that to go into and u can specialize later--doesn't have to be now and if u really dont know what career to do just choose anything u like and do a degree in it...job opportunities will come for u dw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending