The Student Room Group

Flatmate wants to switch rooms

So we moved into our flat at the end of last year and we decided who got the bigger room from a random generator, we also share a bathroom. I got the bigger room which isn’t THAT much bigger I think 2/3s or 3/4s the size of mine but yesterday she brought up to me the idea of switching rooms which I completely understand was hard for her to bring up and that she'd been thinking about this for a while and it's hard for her because her boyfriends around a lot and we're both art students and need the space to work. I said I'd think about it, but honestly I don't want to l've just gotten new furniture for my room and have really made it feel like my own, I don't know if this is selfish or not but I realise we pay the same rent and if she's feeling this way I can understand if that's frustrating but I did say I wouldn't mind paying a bit more rent if it made things easier. And she's always welcome to work in the living room as well we have a lot more floor space but I just really don't want to move all my stuff out just as I've settled in if I'm being honest.

Also my work next year is going to require me to do a lot more projects at home that I'll need space for and l just don't know what to do.

How do I tell her I'm not willing to swap?

On top of this our third flatmate is saying I’m selfish for not wanting to swap even though this was literally sprung on me yesterday weeks after we renewed our contract. And I know this isn’t relevant but I have had such an awful past 6 months honestly I only just started to try and get back to feeling myself and now this is something I’m being pressured to do by one party. While the flatmate that wants to swap is away.
It's selfish of her to want to take your room.
Tell them no. It was a random chance and you like your room.
She has no right to it whatsoever, she has asked, you are allowed to say no. As you say, you've got settled there and used to the workspace, if she's presumptively got into her head a move is a done deal, that's on her.

Your 3rd can go suck eggs, their input isn't helpful to anyone - are they normally spoiling for a fight like this? or are they being put up to it?
If your friend needed a room with more space she should have offered to pay more in the first instance, not left it to chance. I would stick to your guns and just explain that you've put furniture in and made it your own, and that you're anticipating that you'll need more workspace going forward.

It's not up to you to jump through hoops to accomodate her BF. If it's that big of a deal, she should be looking for a bigger room next year.
Just flat out refuse. It's very cheeky of her to want your room, it was assigned to you randomly and you've made it your own now so just say no. You can't let people walk all over you.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
So we moved into our flat at the end of last year and we decided who got the bigger room from a random generator, we also share a bathroom. I got the bigger room which isn’t THAT much bigger I think 2/3s or 3/4s the size of mine but yesterday she brought up to me the idea of switching rooms which I completely understand was hard for her to bring up and that she'd been thinking about this for a while and it's hard for her because her boyfriends around a lot and we're both art students and need the space to work. I said I'd think about it, but honestly I don't want to l've just gotten new furniture for my room and have really made it feel like my own, I don't know if this is selfish or not but I realise we pay the same rent and if she's feeling this way I can understand if that's frustrating but I did say I wouldn't mind paying a bit more rent if it made things easier. And she's always welcome to work in the living room as well we have a lot more floor space but I just really don't want to move all my stuff out just as I've settled in if I'm being honest.

Also my work next year is going to require me to do a lot more projects at home that I'll need space for and l just don't know what to do.

How do I tell her I'm not willing to swap?

On top of this our third flatmate is saying I’m selfish for not wanting to swap even though this was literally sprung on me yesterday weeks after we renewed our contract. And I know this isn’t relevant but I have had such an awful past 6 months honestly I only just started to try and get back to feeling myself and now this is something I’m being pressured to do by one party. While the flatmate that wants to swap is away.

Just say you agreed to the random room allocation and I'm settled in now. They sound the selfish ones ... don't let them bully you.
Reply 7
Original post by ageshallnot
I think it’s fair enough she asked you know? But I think whats selfish is is just deciding and expecting that I should just give it up.
Reply 8
Just tell her that whilst you understand her motivations she should have expressed them earlier when everyone agreed to the random allocation. As you have now invested in items to make that particular room comfortable and homely for yourself, you are sorry but it’s too late.
Reply 9

It’s fair enough her asking, I understand seeing if it was a possibility but if she decided or expects that that’s the only way forwards it’s selfish right, it not giving me options.
Reply 10
Original post by Guru Jason
Tell them no. It was a random chance and you like your room.

it’s not even just the fact that the room is bigger, I had no reason to think I’d be asked to swap and it’s MY room now, MY space
Reply 11
It’s fair enough her asking, I understand seeing if it was a possibility but if she decided or expects that that’s the only way forwards it’s selfish right, it not giving me options.

You are under no obligation to give into her demands, and if she thinks otherwise then she’s wrong, and yes, she is selfish!
Reply 12
Original post by StriderHort
She has no right to it whatsoever, she has asked, you are allowed to say no. As you say, you've got settled there and used to the workspace, if she's presumptively got into her head a move is a done deal, that's on her.

Your 3rd can go suck eggs, their input isn't helpful to anyone - are they normally spoiling for a fight like this? or are they being put up to it?

It’s rich coming from the third one she has the biggest bedroom and an en-suite but is never home due to work and travel, she does pay more and offered it to my other flatmate but she can’t afford it, (which was said when we moved in). Plus the third is so incredibly messy, leaving dirty dishes everywhere, wrappers, cans she doesn’t contribute to the chores whatsoever, me and our other flatmate clean constantly and I’m the reason we have a tv, a microwave, a blender, a rice cooker, an air fryer and yet no it’s like **** me right?
Reply 13
Original post by Admit-One
If your friend needed a room with more space she should have offered to pay more in the first instance, not left it to chance. I would stick to your guns and just explain that you've put furniture in and made it your own, and that you're anticipating that you'll need more workspace going forward.

It's not up to you to jump through hoops to accomodate her BF. If it's that big of a deal, she should be looking for a bigger room next year.

Exactly, I’ve never complained about her boyfriend being around so much, not contributing at all to utility bills or the fact that I avoid the communal spaces when they’re having a fight or something. And yet again I’m being expected to compromise despite this coming completely from left field. If I had gotten the smaller room I would’ve gotten over it and settled, this isn’t musical chairs, people don’t do this in the real world.

The most I’ll budge is taking it for the rest of next year and then I can either move out or swap because at least it’ll be more on my terms and everyone at some point gets what they wants, because our plan was to stay three years anyways so either way she would’ve only gotten my bedroom for one year why does there have to be all this swapping? It’s completely silly?
Reply 14
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Just flat out refuse. It's very cheeky of her to want your room, it was assigned to you randomly and you've made it your own now so just say no. You can't let people walk all over you.

Again it is completely understandable her asking, but asking implies I can say yes or no. It would be a totally different situation if she’d asked earlier into our tenancy so it would give me time to come up with options. But that wasn’t the case. We allocated rooms randomly so I could have just as easily gotten the smaller rooms and honestly I’d just get on with it I wouldn’t even think about asking to swap “because it fair since you’ve already been there for a year”
Say you'll agree that she can have your room if your third housemate lets you have the biggest room?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 16
Say you'll agree that she can have your room if your third housemate lets you have the biggest room?

I wish I could but our rent is going up and I wouldn’t be able to afford hers. This is so frustrating because I feel like I’m being come at side ways and I’ve just seen the eviction notice on my door even though I pay my rent.
Reply 17
I wish I could but our rent is going up and I wouldn’t be able to afford hers. This is so frustrating because I feel like I’m being come at side ways and I’ve just seen the eviction notice on my door even though I pay my rent.

But also either way I don’t want to switch rooms because it was never something that was spoken about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending