The Student Room Group

My flatmate is always loud and I cant sleep

So I started university in September and this ordeal has been going on for over a month now. Literally on the first day this flatmate brought over 50 people to our kitchen and every single day since then he brings his annoying friends to the kitchen and also has sex with this one girl every day and I am unfortunate enough to live next to him. I’ve tried to communicate like an adult- to which he replied saying he’s sorry but the moment he came back from reading week I was immediately disturbed yet again. It’s starting to affect my ability to get up and go to lectures now too as I’d be up until 5am after being disrupted by his noice. I don’t know what to do anymore and no one else in my flat seems to have an issue with this. What do I do?
Original post by Yuuuuuughh
So I started university in September and this ordeal has been going on for over a month now. Literally on the first day this flatmate brought over 50 people to our kitchen and every single day since then he brings his annoying friends to the kitchen and also has sex with this one girl every day and I am unfortunate enough to live next to him. I’ve tried to communicate like an adult- to which he replied saying he’s sorry but the moment he came back from reading week I was immediately disturbed yet again. It’s starting to affect my ability to get up and go to lectures now too as I’d be up until 5am after being disrupted by his noice. I don’t know what to do anymore and no one else in my flat seems to have an issue with this. What do I do?

Have you spoken to your accommodation office about switching flats? Many universities have flats or blocks which are supposed to be quieter. They may have a student in one of those quieter flats / blocks who's desperate for more of a party / social vibe, and who would be keen to swap.

Hi there,
It's good that you are trying to talk to your flatmate about how this is affecting you. If you are unable to come to a resolution between the two of you, I would suggest speaking to your accommodation team. Keep a log of when you are being disturbed. They may be able to mediate or move you to a different flat if there are rooms available.

Hope this helps.

-Sophie

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having a difficult time with your flatmate.

If speaking directly to your flatmate isn't working, I would recommend speaking to your accommodation office to see if they have any advice or if you can be moved to another flat. At the end of the day, you deserve the right to be able to have a good night's sleep so if your flatmate is preventing this then your accommodation team need to address that.

I hope this is of some assistance and that you get a resolution soon,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation you're experiencing with your flatmate. It can be really challenging when you're dealing with disruptive behavior that affects your ability to focus on your studies and get enough rest.

First, it's important to remember that you have the right to a peaceful and conducive living environment. It's understandable that you've tried to communicate with your flatmate, and it's unfortunate that the issue has not been resolved.

Here are a few suggestions that may help you address the situation:

Have a calm and honest conversation: Try speaking to your flatmate again, explaining how their behavior is impacting your ability to study and get enough sleep. Be clear about your concerns and emphasize that you want to find a solution that works for both of you.

Seek assistance from your accommodation office: Reach out to your accommodation office and explain the situation. They may be able to offer guidance or intervene on your behalf to address the issue. They have experience dealing with these types of conflicts and can provide support.

Talk to your other flatmates: While it seems that your other flatmates may not be bothered by the situation, it's worth discussing the issue with them. They may be able to offer advice or support, and together you might be able to find a resolution.

Remember, it's essential to take care of your well-being and prioritize your studies. If the situation becomes unbearable, you may want to explore the possibility of transferring to a different accommodation or speaking to a student support service at your university for additional guidance.

I hope these suggestions help you find a resolution to your current situation. Remember, you're not alone, and there are resources available to support you. Don't hesitate to reach out for assistance.

Best of luck, and I hope things improve soon.
Take care,
Ilya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending