The Student Room Group

advice

Hi there,
This probably sounds a little silly to be put on the student room but I wanted some other peoples thoughts.
I am in my first year at uni in halls, i have found living in halls quite difficult as i am very different to/dont really get on with my flatmates. In early november it got to the point where i now hardly ever go in the kitchen because my flatmates are in there alot. I go in the kitchen rarely in the early morning or when they've gone out on a night out.
I have looked into moving flats and got far into the process but i decided not to move as my room was nicer than what i was offered and i finish here in May so not too long.
I have tried really hard to bring myself to use the kitchen more when theyre either in the kitchen or all in their rooms but i found the stress its caused me not worth the hassle. I have adapted to this and still make sure i eat meals etc but I was wondering if i should get a travel kettle for my bedroom. This would allow me to do things like have a cup of tea stress free and if i really need have pot noodles etc in the evenings. Im not sure im allowed it in my accom but i think it would help me.
Is it something i should do/think about?
Hi, sorry to hear you’re having difficulties & social anxiety. I think a kettle sounds good, I wouldn’t bother asking your accoom officer. It’s not likely to cause a fire and if you didn’t know any different & it gets found out, just say it’s a mistake, sorry. I had a kettle & cupcake maker in my room. Our rooms were rarely inspected.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi there,
This probably sounds a little silly to be put on the student room but I wanted some other peoples thoughts.
I am in my first year at uni in halls, i have found living in halls quite difficult as i am very different to/dont really get on with my flatmates. In early november it got to the point where i now hardly ever go in the kitchen because my flatmates are in there alot. I go in the kitchen rarely in the early morning or when they've gone out on a night out.
I have looked into moving flats and got far into the process but i decided not to move as my room was nicer than what i was offered and i finish here in May so not too long.
I have tried really hard to bring myself to use the kitchen more when theyre either in the kitchen or all in their rooms but i found the stress its caused me not worth the hassle. I have adapted to this and still make sure i eat meals etc but I was wondering if i should get a travel kettle for my bedroom. This would allow me to do things like have a cup of tea stress free and if i really need have pot noodles etc in the evenings. Im not sure im allowed it in my accom but i think it would help me.
Is it something i should do/think about?

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you have been having a tough time with your flatmates. It's very random who you get put with and a lot of people find they don't get on with the flatmates they are put with in first year.

I think if you like your room where you are living it does sound like a good idea to stay as you know the place well and if you like your room then that helps a lot as you know you have that safe space to chill out in. May is not too far away and next year is a fresh start! Have you decided where you are living next year yet?

As for having a kettle in your room, I would read your contract and see if it mentions it and if it makes you feel more comfortable to ask then ask reception about it but if you can this sounds like a good idea to make you feel more at ease living there and helps your situation out a little bit! It sounds good for hot drinks, or pot noodles, soup etc.

I hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador
Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling anxious in your own accommodation.

Please don't force yourself and do anything you're uncomfortable with as that can put too much pressure on you and make sure anxiety only worse. So it's great that you came up with alternatives and routines which fit you and make you feel more at ease.

I am not sure if it applies to all university accommodations but sometimes they can do routine checks and see if anyone keeps a fire hazard item in their room (microwave, heaters or other potential fire starters). So it would be best if you checked the accommodation's health, safety and fire guidance just to check what kitchen items are you allowed to keep in your room.

I know that Semester 2 just started but it's going to pass so quickly! Soon there will be Easter Break as well as deadline and exam season so you won't see your flatmates occupying the kitchen too often.

Have you made any friends with whom you can move in for your 2nd year? If not there is still plenty of time for you.

Please remember to prioritise your well-being.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending