The Student Room Group

Going on holiday

Shall I go on holiday next month right before my final year of my undergraduate starts?
Original post by luluwagland
Shall I go on holiday next month right before my final year of my undergraduate starts?

It's a personal choice and depend on what you are studying and how you feel about it.If you think you are all caught up with everything in your studies and have free time it's a good opportunity to go out and relax and start next year with a fresh mind.
Original post by luluwagland

Hi @luluwagland,
There are different things to consider about going on holiday right before a semester (some which spring to mind I have listed). Ultimately the decision falls down to you.
1. Your final year of UG is a busy and stressful one. You are therefore unlikely to have time to get away during the year and so it is a reason to go before. Personally I took a long weekend away in October to spend time away with family in my final year and whilst it was nice it was greatly impacted by assignment stress running up to going away and as soon as I returned.
2. Holidays, whilst they can be relaxing can make you exhausted. You want to feel ready and refreshed for starting your final year and so if you are likely to feel tired on your return then maybe it isn't adviseable.
3. Something to dream and look forward to. Going after you finish studying and having it planned could be a good motivator and reward for the end of year.
4. Something to kick-start you. A holiday may make you ready to ace your final year and put you in a good mindset.
5. Duration of the holiday - Is it worth considering a shorter or closer to home holiday to minimize any stress yet still give you a holiday you want. Also you don't want to feel rushed, both whilst away and also when you get back with needing to start any uni work.
Whatever you decide, I hope you feel ready and energized to do the best you can and have a great final year of Undergrad. Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Thank you very much for the advice
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @luluwagland,
There are different things to consider about going on holiday right before a semester (some which spring to mind I have listed). Ultimately the decision falls down to you.
1. Your final year of UG is a busy and stressful one. You are therefore unlikely to have time to get away during the year and so it is a reason to go before. Personally I took a long weekend away in October to spend time away with family in my final year and whilst it was nice it was greatly impacted by assignment stress running up to going away and as soon as I returned.
2. Holidays, whilst they can be relaxing can make you exhausted. You want to feel ready and refreshed for starting your final year and so if you are likely to feel tired on your return then maybe it isn't adviseable.
3. Something to dream and look forward to. Going after you finish studying and having it planned could be a good motivator and reward for the end of year.
4. Something to kick-start you. A holiday may make you ready to ace your final year and put you in a good mindset.
5. Duration of the holiday - Is it worth considering a shorter or closer to home holiday to minimize any stress yet still give you a holiday you want. Also you don't want to feel rushed, both whilst away and also when you get back with needing to start any uni work.
Whatever you decide, I hope you feel ready and energized to do the best you can and have a great final year of Undergrad. Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest