The Student Room Group

Family keep booking holidays that I can’t afford

I’m 20- already owe my parents £1500 from when I was a student- which I’m going to pay back/ am paying back currently. In the last couple of months they’ve had two holidays, one for a hen do so I kind of had to go (the bride is a close relative) the second isn’t for any reason/ coincidently it happens on a birthday. The first I can pay gradually £240 and the second I’ve said I don’t want to go on because there’s no point and it’s a waste of money and now I’m being nagged into going because someone else was supposed to go but isn’t now. I really don’t want any more debt with my parents but they keep saying “oh we’ll just add that to your tab” but I really don’t want that I want to save money and leave home.

Idk what to do- if I don’t go it’ll cause an argument but at the same time I don’t want to be nagged into doing everything they say- I really want distance after i eventually move and will never borrow large amounts of money again because it’s been held over me a bit.

I have one job for 20hrs atm and earn £200 a week which isn’t much I know but I’m looking for a second job to get hrs up to 35. Really stressed and feel so miserable and pathetic for owing money I really regret not being careful with my money at uni. Which I take full responsibility for but feel depressed and like I’m stuck and will never pay them back in full if they keep booking things I can’t afford.

Thanks
Reply 1
I think you need a straight forward honest and open conversation with your parents. If they have booked it for you on your behalf and without any consultation I would say you have the right to say 'Mum, Dad, Whilst I appreciate your help and kindness I cannot pay for this holiday. I do not want this debt, and have enough debt owing to you both already. I do not wish to go on this holiday. The cost is making me feel unwell. If you had asked me I would have refused. I cannot afford to pay for this holiday and do not want the debt, either now or later"

You do not need to mention taking on extra jobs to pay for all of this, but this is unfair on you. You are an adult and can make your own decisions whether to go or not. You need to make sure your parents understand your dilemma and you need to make sure they understand they cannot keep making arrangements and payments on your behalf. Do not go on the holiday.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 20- already owe my parents £1500 from when I was a student- which I’m going to pay back/ am paying back currently. In the last couple of months they’ve had two holidays, one for a hen do so I kind of had to go (the bride is a close relative) the second isn’t for any reason/ coincidently it happens on a birthday. The first I can pay gradually £240 and the second I’ve said I don’t want to go on because there’s no point and it’s a waste of money and now I’m being nagged into going because someone else was supposed to go but isn’t now. I really don’t want any more debt with my parents but they keep saying “oh we’ll just add that to your tab” but I really don’t want that I want to save money and leave home.

Idk what to do- if I don’t go it’ll cause an argument but at the same time I don’t want to be nagged into doing everything they say- I really want distance after i eventually move and will never borrow large amounts of money again because it’s been held over me a bit.

I have one job for 20hrs atm and earn £200 a week which isn’t much I know but I’m looking for a second job to get hrs up to 35. Really stressed and feel so miserable and pathetic for owing money I really regret not being careful with my money at uni. Which I take full responsibility for but feel depressed and like I’m stuck and will never pay them back in full if they keep booking things I can’t afford.

Thanks

If they are organsing the holiday and making you go then they should pay.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttly
I think you need a straight forward honest and open conversation with your parents. If they have booked it for you on your behalf and without any consultation I would say you have the right to say 'Mum, Dad, Whilst I appreciate your help and kindness I cannot pay for this holiday. I do not want this debt, and have enough debt owing to you both already. I do not wish to go on this holiday. The cost is making me feel unwell. If you had asked me I would have refused. I cannot afford to pay for this holiday and do not want the debt, either now or later"

You do not need to mention taking on extra jobs to pay for all of this, but this is unfair on you. You are an adult and can make your own decisions whether to go or not. You need to make sure your parents understand your dilemma and you need to make sure they understand they cannot keep making arrangements and payments on your behalf. Do not go on the holiday.

Thank you- that sounds like a good idea :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending