The Student Room Group

Summer Job Issue

Hi,
So I'm in year 13 doing my exams this year and after i'm hoping to get a job in the summer to save money for uni like most are doing but I have a problem which is I'm going on a 1.5 week holiday in the middle (late july - early august).
How would it be suggested I get a job around that like should I go for zero- hour contracts, agency work, should I just go to them and explain how I'm going on holiday between in the middle (like use of holiday days midway?) or just get a job before I go for the month, quit then get another starting after I get back. It's a family holiday and and already paid for so I can't back out (not that my parents would let me) but I get the lowest maintenance fee and I have no money saved as I didn't work at all through sixth form due to other issues.

Any thoughts or advice, anyone else been in the same situation?
Original post by MiriGyu
Hi,
So I'm in year 13 doing my exams this year and after i'm hoping to get a job in the summer to save money for uni like most are doing but I have a problem which is I'm going on a 1.5 week holiday in the middle (late july - early august).
How would it be suggested I get a job around that like should I go for zero- hour contracts, agency work, should I just go to them and explain how I'm going on holiday between in the middle (like use of holiday days midway?) or just get a job before I go for the month, quit then get another starting after I get back. It's a family holiday and and already paid for so I can't back out (not that my parents would let me) but I get the lowest maintenance fee and I have no money saved as I didn't work at all through sixth form due to other issues.

Hi @MiriGyu

I've been in the exact same situation over a year ago when I had a holiday planned in the middle of the summer of 2022 as I was applying for a job.

I will say there are benefits to finding zero-hour contract jobs, but I found them to be rather unfair towards the latter portion as I got busier with my uni work so I strongly suggest turning away from them. However, if those are the only available jobs that work best for you temporarily it would do no harm in applying, working a set period, and finding another one if you become unhappy with them.

My approach was to apply for jobs with contracted hours and just let them know beforehand regarding my holiday situation. I was fortunate enough to apply for one that did understand my situation and still gave me the job opportunity. Although I wasn't exactly paid for those hours that I was gone they were still willing to bring me on board and work the contracted hours upon my return from my holiday.

I hope this helps you!!

Derrick
Original post by MiriGyu
Hi,

Maybe you could get a job whilst at uni or try something remote? I found my job on the GiGL app and they were quite flexible with my needs but I think its only based in London :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending