The Student Room Group

Help me pick my 5 uni options - marine biology

xx
(edited 2 months ago)
Southampton or Bangor (soton has the NERC Oceanography centre, Bangor has the CEH centre). In terms of access to resources like aquariums, boats and the chance for scuba and ROV training etc they're by far the best.
Plymouth is worth a look too but don't have the NERC funded resources.
Swansea, Aberystwyth and Exeter might be worth a look.
Original post by georgenringo
Just wondering what you guys would reccommend. Some information:
I want to study marine biology, and would be very open to options with a year abroad- but this isn't a necessity.
Don't mind where.
Predicted grades are AAB (biology, geography, chemistry).
Just wondering what you think is the best course as its hard to find definitive rankings as marine bio is a pretty niche subject.

Something that might be useful is having a look through this page which has listings of what universities offer marine biology along with their rankings: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/search/undergraduate/marine-biology
There's also this page which looks like a pretty good run through of the degree subject: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/subject-guide/marine-biology#:~:text=Undergraduate%20Marine%20Biology%20degrees%20on%20offer%20in%20the,Science%20BSc%20Marine%20Science%20MSc%20Marine%20Zoology%20BSc

Could be worth having a read through, though I would definitely recommend considering more than just the rankings. It's good to have a think about other factors like what you're looking for in a city eg. big or small, close to or far away from home, does it have opportunities for you do do the hobbies you're interested in, that sort of thing too.

Hope this helps and all the best with thinking about your choices!

- Matthew, Enquiry Team
Reply 5
Southampton is the best by a miles, but Plymouth and Liverpool are also really good. I also looked at Newcastle, Bangor and Swansea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending