The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Marine Biology and Uni of Liverpool

Does anyone study marine biology at Liverpool or has anyone gone on the open day who can give any feedback on the facilities?
I visited Liverpool once and loved the city, but there isn't much information on the facilities for marine biology there.
Original post by georgenringo
Does anyone study marine biology at Liverpool or has anyone gone on the open day who can give any feedback on the facilities?
I visited Liverpool once and loved the city, but there isn't much information on the facilities for marine biology there.

Hi there,

I haven't studied Marine Biology. However, the facilities are great at the University of Liverpool they have their own study boat which is used regularly for teaching modules and research. There is also many state of art laboratories within the Environmental Science and Life Science/Biology building. As a result, a huge range of different types of practical work can be undertaken within the University, making the most of the facilities of a range of University departments.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Hi! I'm also looking at studying Marine Biology (potentially with Oceanography) this coming year so maybe I can help by telling you some of what I saw and got told.

So most of the earth and ocean sciences was displayed in the Central Teaching Hub (I'm sure this was the name), and the room with the labs was huge! Definitely super sciency. The teachers and students were all super welcoming which I personally found great. The course is apparently super customisable, so two students on the same course can go on completely different pathways.

I had no idea but apparently they do day trips down to other places such as Wales, Plymouth and Scotland! They get to use boats from Plymouth's research facility, or something along the lines which I found super fascinating.

One thing that I didn't know is that if you're looking to study things like plankton within the ocean you'd do good looking at Marine Biology with Oceanography - I had no idea about this so I made sure to apply for both Marine Bio and Marine Bio + Oceanography.

The vibe was great and the building and facilities were pretty impressive to me, so safe to say Liverpool is going to be my first choice right now.

Hopefully some of this helps you! Though I'll still recommend that you find a way to speak to someone on the course and not just another prospective student.
Original post by rhythmhaven
Hi! I'm also looking at studying Marine Biology (potentially with Oceanography) this coming year so maybe I can help by telling you some of what I saw and got told.

So most of the earth and ocean sciences was displayed in the Central Teaching Hub (I'm sure this was the name), and the room with the labs was huge! Definitely super sciency. The teachers and students were all super welcoming which I personally found great. The course is apparently super customisable, so two students on the same course can go on completely different pathways.

I had no idea but apparently they do day trips down to other places such as Wales, Plymouth and Scotland! They get to use boats from Plymouth's research facility, or something along the lines which I found super fascinating.

One thing that I didn't know is that if you're looking to study things like plankton within the ocean you'd do good looking at Marine Biology with Oceanography - I had no idea about this so I made sure to apply for both Marine Bio and Marine Bio + Oceanography.

The vibe was great and the building and facilities were pretty impressive to me, so safe to say Liverpool is going to be my first choice right now.

Hopefully some of this helps you! Though I'll still recommend that you find a way to speak to someone on the course and not just another prospective student.

Thanks for adding all of this detail from your visits! I think your point about the flexibility of the pathways is a great point, I studied Environmental Sciences and there was a similar set up with many optional modules, so you could tailor your studies to exactly what you want.

We visited for MB last year and they told us they no longer had a research boat, as despite being close to the sea, there were logistical difficulties in getting g the boat out ( busy shipping lanes, weather etc) however they were able to use the docks and the local shoreline to support the course work.
Last year the course presentation was quite rushed- only 20 minutes- and my student actually preferred the structure of the Environmental science course.
Original post by MadMathsMum
We visited for MB last year and they told us they no longer had a research boat, as despite being close to the sea, there were logistical difficulties in getting g the boat out ( busy shipping lanes, weather etc) however they were able to use the docks and the local shoreline to support the course work.
Last year the course presentation was quite rushed- only 20 minutes- and my student actually preferred the structure of the Environmental science course.

Hi there,

That is a shame that they had issues with the research boat - but there are certainly many great locations along the coast which are great for visiting for all sorts of research activities! As you said, the Environmental Science course is another great choice, which you can also study marine biology courses on whilst having the flexibility for many other disciplines too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending