The Student Room Group

University

Anyone got experience with university welcome week/university and not drinking alcohol?
Not personally, but ive seen plenty of others.

Universities over the past decade or so have made a lot of effort to be extremely welcoming to students who enjoy different things and now most universities have lots of activities during freshers designed to be an alternative to clubs & alcohol. In addition to this since covid, drinking culture at universities is not as big as it was beforehand (although it definitely is still a thing).

Additionally you would be more then welcome to attend any event involving alcohol you want and just have soft drinks.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply! That’s made me less worried, I agree about going to events and I could not drink but unfortunately I’m under 18 when I go to university! So I won’t be allowed into clubs/pubs
Original post by Blblblb101
Thank you for your reply! That’s made me less worried, I agree about going to events and I could not drink but unfortunately I’m under 18 when I go to university! So I won’t be allowed into clubs/pubs

I see, yes this is difficult as no official licensed premises will let you in (in theory).

University isn’t really geared towards minors as almost all people are 18+. I have known 17yo students who for a few weeks found ways in with their friends but you’ll be restricted to more seedy venues.

in my experience each person in your shoes forges slightly different routes at the start of uni, but it shouldn’t stop you enjoying yourself.

as an older perhaps wiser former student, just be sensible but have fun.
Original post by mnot
Not personally, but ive seen plenty of others.

Universities over the past decade or so have made a lot of effort to be extremely welcoming to students who enjoy different things and now most universities have lots of activities during freshers designed to be an alternative to clubs & alcohol. In addition to this since covid, drinking culture at universities is not as big as it was beforehand (although it definitely is still a thing).

Additionally you would be more then welcome to attend any event involving alcohol you want and just have soft drinks.

I was wondering about this too. I don't see the point in getting drunk with random strangers. I'm glad it won't be a total buzzkill.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I was wondering about this too. I don't see the point in getting drunk with random strangers. I'm glad it won't be a total buzzkill.

It won’t be, university is a diverse community and that includes lifestyles.

Although for “drinkers” who get merry, they wouldn’t frame it the same way you have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending