The Student Room Group

Sudden change of circumstances from my guarantor

Hi everyone, I'm starting uni next month and I booked a private accom.

As a guarantor for the accom I put my dad but due to unforseen circumstances he has to leave the UK and won't have a permanent address from the ninth of September which is also when I move in to my accommodation.

My question is, can I get the guarantor changed even if the contracts have already been signed? I already have someone who can be nominated as my guarantor and have agreed to be one.

I didn't want to lie because it would be basically committing fraud even though someone actually recommended lying to the landlord. I sent an email as soon as I got the news and I'm still waiting on a reply
Original post by Succcc011
Hi everyone, I'm starting uni next month and I booked a private accom.

As a guarantor for the accom I put my dad but due to unforseen circumstances he has to leave the UK and won't have a permanent address from the ninth of September which is also when I move in to my accommodation.

My question is, can I get the guarantor changed even if the contracts have already been signed? I already have someone who can be nominated as my guarantor and have agreed to be one.

I didn't want to lie because it would be basically committing fraud even though someone actually recommended lying to the landlord. I sent an email as soon as I got the news and I'm still waiting on a reply

Hi there,

I'm sorry about the change of circumstances - this can be stressful. However, I would say that it's in the best interests of the private accommodation to let you change guarantors as it is not your fault and you already have a replacement I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if they charged you a small fee for changing the contract (I've faced this a few times).

I hope this helps!

Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending