The Student Room Group

Change in circumstance but still still on contract for student room, what can I do?

Due to a sudden change in circumstance, I’ve had to suspend my studies. However, I’ve been told I’m still on contract for my room until someone is found to replace me. The payments are racking up and I’m unable to even pay a fraction of it. Is there anything I could do?
Original post by 910a109
Due to a sudden change in circumstance, I’ve had to suspend my studies. However, I’ve been told I’m still on contract for my room until someone is found to replace me. The payments are racking up and I’m unable to even pay a fraction of it. Is there anything I could do?

Yes. The phrase "until someone is found to replace me" is written in the passive voice. It implies that someone will just magically appear one day. Whoever you're renting from has absolutely zero incentive to actively seek a replacement - they get paid regardless.

It is therefore incumbent upon you to find a replacement tenant. So post details in the Student Accommodation forum on TSR, take advantage of any advertising opportunities at uni (on noticeboards, etc.), talk to other students to see if they know anyone who might be interested, if you're renting privately talk to the accommodation office to see if they know of anyone looking.

If you do nothing, nothing will happen.
Original post by 910a109

Hi there,
If you have not already, I would recommend speaking to your accommodation provider and checking the cancellation policy on your tenancy to see if you qualify in any way. It sounds like your accommodation provider does not currently have anybody interested in your room, therefore you will be expected to assist in finding a replacement tenant.

You can do this by posting on forums like TSR. Posting on social media and sites like SpareRoom can also help. Keep your accommodation provider informed as to what you're doing and ask if anybody does show interest in your room, that they be considered to takeover your tenancy.

If you are struggling to make your rent payments, they may also be able to advise on what to do. For example, any hardship funds that you could access.

Hope this helps.

-Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending