The Student Room Group

No Guarantor, No Co-Signer, Being Kicked Out, What Can I Do?

Every Guarantor I've been recommended, people haven't tried for themselves.

So I'm asking only those who have used a third party guarantor themselves or know of people who have used a third party guarantor for help.

So many of these guarantors seem like scammers and have horrendous reviews. Every third party guarantor I have found has asked for a co-signer.

A co-signer having literally the same definition as a guarantor, which - once again - I don't have.

This may seem like a surprise, but not everyone has a person to rely on, who would shoulder the weight of paying my rent if I for whatever reason cannot.

I'm living with my mother, who lives on benefits and who is still recovering from one too many injuries. I've seen her go from the hospital bed, to a wheelchair to a walking stick back into a hospital bed too many times.

The place we live in is not suitable for anyone to live in with the amount of mould, damp and leaks - that give the Niagara Falls a run for its money - in this property.

She can't afford to have me living here, and we both need to get out of this property anyway. But how on earth can I afford to move out if every property needs a guarantor or co-signer - when I'm estranged from my family and the one person I can rely on is a vulnerable person. Then what?

I can afford to pay 4 months in advanced, but for some arbitrary reason I must pay all 12.

Frustration aside,
What can I do?

There's no properties within 2 hours of my university that I can afford to move into.

I've finally received my student loan, but because it's paid in 3 instalments I don't have enough to outright pay for 12 months.

I'm studying an accelerated 2 year bachelors, so 5 days a week.
I'm working the other 2 days a week.
Before I started the course I was juggling 1 full time and 1 part time job.
How is any of this right?
I get we're in a cost of living crisis, but how am I about to go homeless after working so hard for so long in preparation for my course?

I've reached out to my local MP, whose team has yet to respond. I've asked my university which is relatively small scale and has also yet to respond.

I had horrid experiences every time my mum and I reached out to charities like Shelter.

If you know of anything that could possibly help, please help.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Is there a way to get the government to give me my full maintenance loan right now, so I can get on with my studies without worrying about where the heck I'm going to live, and how that will affect me being able to continue my course?

Not to mention worrying about being sick because of the property I'm currently in, my mothers health for the same reason and her already vulnerable state, corrupt and exploitative employers and housing agents. There's clearly too much on my plate, but I can't afford not to purse them all if I want to continue with my course, graduate and get a job that pays enough for me to actually take care of myself and the one other person who has done their damnedest to take care of me.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Does your University offer support for Carers? You may be able get extra funding which would help with paying advanced rent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending