The Student Room Group

Which vet schools allow you to retake a year if you fail?

Just curious, as I assumed all vet schools:

- allow exam retakes if you fail one or more exams along the way

- allow you to retake a year if you fail your retake exam

From what I have been told, not all Vet colleges allow you to retake a year - if you fail the retake you fail the degree - is that right?
(edited 7 months ago)
I’ve only heard of this from Nottingham and only in the last few days, I always assumed every vet schools allow a summer resit and a retake of a year. Liverpool certainly allows you both and some even resit multiple years.
Reply 2
I saw the same thread on TSR about Nottm. It worried me a bit, but I know in human medicine degree the rules on retakes are pretty tough.

This is what RVC Regs say (dated 2019/20):
"A student who is studying full time and has failed the year at the second attempt and has previously repeated a year of undergraduate study at the College (on any programme) will be required to withdraw from the course. S/he will have a right of appeal as described in College Regulations"

Found here - https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/About/Academic%20Quality,%20Regulations%20and%20Procedures/assessment-and-award-regs/2019-20/AA_Regs_2019-20_BVetMed_Year_1-2.pdf
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
deleted - was entry resits info

I did find the 2022 Nottingham Vet Med Student handbook online - https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studentservices/documents/welcome/vet-med-ug-handbook-sept2022-v6.pdf

Not sure if it is current, or has changed over time - and I don't fully understand the bit around resits - beyond being allowed to take them. I don't see any mention of repeating a year being okay though
(edited 7 months ago)
Yes, my point is I would assume all other vet schools except Nottingham allow at least 1 resit period in summer usually and then a retake year at least once, but if you wanted to check could always call or email the admissions team. I think it is an RCVS rule that you must finish the degree within 8 years of starting I believe (or 7? But think 8) and there may be some stipulations around student finance too as it’s usually length of your degree + 1 year they’ll fund. At Liverpool we get opportunity to resit in August (every year doesn’t matter if you also resat in August previous years before to my knowledge) and if you fail August you resit the year. If failing May resits the following year and no extenuating circumstances I believe usually that’s it, and if there are then can do August resits again. Usually resitting the year a third time isn’t allowed but I know people who have done so with extreme circumstances I assume. I think the majority of vet schools follow a similar scheme, I had no clue Nottingham didn’t and find it quite appalling they don’t, maybe it’s time for a change in that department… But I’ve not heard of this being the case elsewhere, from students I’ve spoken to in other unis retaking years is allowed as long as within the specifications although I guess I wouldn’t know about all of them. But as someone living with another vet student who resat first year I can definitely confirm Liverpool is safe with that :smile:
I can't claim to be familiar with Nottingham's rules unfortunately and don't have much to add to the excellent response above; but anecdotally (I know, of limited value from an anonymous person on an online forum :tongue: ) I was fairly sure that someone I knew at Notts resat a year.

Ultimately all of the vet schools *want* you to pass, it doesn't benefit them for students to drop out; so while I am grateful that I never had to navigate the appeals process myself, I like to think that they are fair and understanding of extenuating circumstances. You might have trouble if they could prove that you never show up to class, but from my knowledge of my friend's experiences, resitting resits and having to redo a year does trigger a sit down meeting to discuss how you can be better supported in future (for example if you may have an undiagnosed learning difference for which accommodations could be made).

Speaking for RVC specifically; being able to resit a year once is standard (i.e. four attempts at that year's exam; the final and the resit for two years) however I personally know people who resat more than one year each; completing their studies in eight and nine years respectively (one also took a year out).
(edited 7 months ago)
Nottingham student here - we can only resit a year if you obtain Extenuating Circumstances and get approved.

So you can fail, then everyone is entitled to a resit opportunity in the summer. If you fail this, I believe you have to leave the course. If you fail this but you have EC, then you can resit the year ONCE.

As far as I know this is quite strict compared to other vet schools, however I only know of two people having had this happen to them. Most people manage to pass the exams in the two chances they get, unless they have something else going on in life (hence the EC).
You get IMMENSE support from tutors, module convenors etc if you do end up having to resit an exam.

Hope this helps!
Original post by RambleAmple
Yes, my point is I would assume all other vet schools except Nottingham allow at least 1 resit period in summer usually and then a retake year at least once, but if you wanted to check could always call or email the admissions team. I think it is an RCVS rule that you must finish the degree within 8 years of starting I believe (or 7? But think 8) and there may be some stipulations around student finance too as it’s usually length of your degree + 1 year they’ll fund. At Liverpool we get opportunity to resit in August (every year doesn’t matter if you also resat in August previous years before to my knowledge) and if you fail August you resit the year. If failing May resits the following year and no extenuating circumstances I believe usually that’s it, and if there are then can do August resits again. Usually resitting the year a third time isn’t allowed but I know people who have done so with extreme circumstances I assume. I think the majority of vet schools follow a similar scheme, I had no clue Nottingham didn’t and find it quite appalling they don’t, maybe it’s time for a change in that department… But I’ve not heard of this being the case elsewhere, from students I’ve spoken to in other unis retaking years is allowed as long as within the specifications although I guess I wouldn’t know about all of them. But as someone living with another vet student who resat first year I can definitely confirm Liverpool is safe with that :smile:

Nottingham have 1 resit period available (per year) to all students who fail and then there is 1 additional one if you have an exceptional circumstance form. I know people who have resat years due to certain circumstances so Nottingham do allow it.
Original post by flamingolover
Nottingham have 1 resit period available (per year) to all students who fail and then there is 1 additional one if you have an exceptional circumstance form. I know people who have resat years due to certain circumstances so Nottingham do allow it.

This discussion is sparked by a recent event on the vet med parent thread on page 27. Personally I still think it’s harsh that you need extenuating circumstances to have more than 1 resit attempt, and think that should change with how difficult the degree is - sometimes it can just be down to luck or like a current short illness or something which you can’t predict in advance enough to put in an extenuating circumstances form or wouldn’t count for it. I don’t think that’s the case at other unis so maybe something that’s something that should be either standardised or reformed in the future, again just my take on it.
Original post by RambleAmple
This discussion is sparked by a recent event on the vet med parent thread on page 27. Personally I still think it’s harsh that you need extenuating circumstances to have more than 1 resit attempt, and think that should change with how difficult the degree is - sometimes it can just be down to luck or like a current short illness or something which you can’t predict in advance enough to put in an extenuating circumstances form or wouldn’t count for it. I don’t think that’s the case at other unis so maybe something that’s something that should be either standardised or reformed in the future, again just my take on it.

Yeah I agree. Nottingham is pretty good at giving ECs and I don’t actually know anyone who has ever been rejected from getting one (I myself have gotten one every year but haven’t used it yet. You can EC’s on the day for sudden things such as illnesses so that you aren’t disadvantaged. I do agree it seems harsh and I honestly thought this was the norm amongst vet schools! I would love more attempts at resists! It’s definitely something that needs to be looked at now after that but it does seem like an anomaly as the fail rates are normally significantly lower so there are definitely issues that need to be addressed
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending