The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Student accommodation glasgow

I’m looking for an accommodation in Glasgow under £200 pw but i can’t find any and i don’t like the one i was given by the university.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Stephanie112
Hi guys,

I’m currently so stressed out about my accommodation at Glasgow, so I just got my results and thankfully all went fine. Now the problem is my accommodation, the university offered me Blackfriars but I absolutely hate it, i only made it an option since my parents were paying for it and it was the most affordable ensuit on offer. The offer expires in two days and i still have no where to stay. I’m from Glasgow but i live in a two bedroom flat far from the university and there are five of us living here. The house is all packed and crammed, i got no room no desk and studying for advanced highers this year was a great struggle so i can’t imagine medicine 😭😭😭. The only ones available are over £200 and even if i worked and got loans, my pared contributed it would still be a lot as they also have to pay for where they live, bills and all that. I know what you are thinking, “just take Blackfriars” “be grateful” guys i’ve been in a situation where i had to be where i didn’t want and honestly it was the worst time of my life (no exaggeration). I just want to be in a comfortable place for once and be happy, i also think it would motivate me to do better and put more effort. My budget is <£190. What do you think I should do?

What do you have against Blackfriars? Looks like pretty standard student accommodation. Bear in mind last year that Glasgow uni told some students not to start their course as they couldn't guarantee accommodation. So your choice may be taking the offer you have or not going to uni.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by S1098
What do you have against Blackfriars? Looks like pretty standard student accommodation. Bear in mind last year that Glasgow uni told some students not to start their course as they couldn't guarantee accommodation. So your choice may be taking the offer you have or not going to uni.

I don’t have anything against it, i just don’t like it. simple as that.
Reply 3
Original post by S1098

It’s just what i was looking for, i wanted like a big ceiling to floor window so i can get lots of sunlight and i was looking for a MORE modern accommodation. Also have in mind so have a lot of clothes so I don’t know how i would fit it in there and the room is too small to fit a rack.
Reply 4
You will struggle to secure accommodation as you have described for <£200/week as Glasgow has a serious shortage of student accommodation. What’s more important, starting your degree or delaying it while you try and find accommodation which meets your quite frankly ridiculous expectations?
Original post by Stephanie112
I’m looking for an accommodation in Glasgow under £200 pw but i can’t find any and i don’t like the one i was given by the university.

You will struggle to find any alternative accommodation in Glasgow in the central and West end areas. Student purpose built accommodation sold out months ago.

You should be grateful to have an offer of accommodation, even if it doesn't meet your specific needs, because there are hundreds (if not thousands) of students arriving to the city with no accommodation. They won't be seeking floor to ceiling windows....

Glasgow has an influx in early September of easily 50,000 but perhaps up to 90000 students at Glasgow, Strathclyde, Cali, UWS, the Conservatoire, art school and mega colleges.

There are hundreds of begging ads on social media from students due to arrive in the city having been unable to secure a room.

Many private landlords withdrew from the market due to punitive legislation so there is less availability.

You could look at Rightmove to see if you can afford a studio or 1 bed flat for your budget. However, many private letting agents/landlords do not like letting to students because they want long term tenants, not those that leave after 9-12 months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending