The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Buchanan View Hall- is it far away from everything??

I’m staying at Buchanan View for Strathclyde and it looks like it’s in the middle of no where like no shops, restaurants etc. I haven’t been near that area and on Google maps it looks like it’s made for cars more than it’s walkable. There’s no public transportation going anywhere in the city from there and it’s worrying for me as I don’t want to walk everywhere esp. at night.
Everything else about it is fine but it seems so isolating in comparison to other uni halls as it’s far away from any civilisation.
Has anyone who’s visited/lived there give me some reassurance about this place? I don’t like to be stuck in my room all the time and hate long distances too so I’m feeling very anxious about it :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I’m staying at Buchanan View for Strathclyde and it looks like it’s in the middle of no where like no shops, restaurants etc. I haven’t been near that area and on Google maps it looks like it’s made for cars more than it’s walkable. There’s no public transportation going anywhere in the city from there and it’s worrying for me as I don’t want to walk everywhere esp. at night.
Everything else about it is fine but it seems so isolating in comparison to other uni halls as it’s far away from any civilisation.
Has anyone who’s visited/lived there give me some reassurance about this place? I don’t like to be stuck in my room all the time and hate long distances too so I’m feeling very anxious about it :frown:

Yes, I've visited it but not stayed there.

It's cheek by jowel to the city centre with hundreds of shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants, with around 4 or 5 other private halls of residence that form a hub nearby. So not a desert.

You are 10-15 mins walk to cineworld, McDonald's, Pret, Boots, Pound land, Argos, a mainline station, the bus station...

According to Google maps about 11 mins walk to the University library so I don't think your legs will fall off. To put this in context, it's the same distance to campus than one of the Unis largest halls, Andrew Ure.

At this time of year, hundreds of Uni and college students call their accommodation services each week begging for accommodation. There are virtually no vacant rooms left near them when 50,000 or so students all arrive in the city at the same time.
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2

Glasgow resident here.

You are about a ten minute walk from the start of the main shopping centre in the city centre of Glasgow.
You'll have access to plenty of shops and restaurants and clubs etc.
Buchanan Street bus station is ten minutes away from the accommodation you're asking about then you cross the road and you'll see the start of shops.

They are apparently scheduling to demolish the Buchanan Street galleries shopping complex to make way for a new mixed development of shops, offices and housing but no start date been mentioned yet.
The person in post #2 made a good point about things to you.

Enjoy your stay in Glasgow.

Hi,
Great to hear that you are coming to Strathclyde and have accommodation in the city!
Buchanan View is within walking distance to the uni, the bus and train stations and to the main city centre. I had friends who stayed in neighbouring private student accommodation and they never found it to be that far out and their flats were a good meet-up location before heading to events in the city centre. There are many students who stay all across Glasgow and many who commute in from home and really one of the only main differences is what time you have to get up to be at your class on time :smile:
Strathclyde is a city centre based campus and so you will find that everything really isn't that far from you at all! If you do feel it is far from the uni/civilization then there is plenty of spaces to study and socialize on campus, a large sports facility with gym and pool. Plus all across Glasgow there are places to study and eat and socialize.
Best wishes for moving to Glasgow and starting uni !
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Yes, I've visited it but not stayed there.

It's cheek by jowel to the city centre with hundreds of shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants, with around 4 or 5 other private halls of residence that form a hub nearby. So not a desert.

You are 10-15 mins walk to cineworld, McDonald's, Pret, Boots, Pound land, Argos, a mainline station, the bus station...

According to Google maps about 11 mins walk to the University library so I don't think your legs will fall off. To put this in context, it's the same distance to campus than one of the Unis largest halls, Andrew Ure.

At this time of year, hundreds of Uni and college students call their accommodation services each week begging for accommodation. There are virtually no vacant rooms left near them when 50,000 or so students all arrive in the city at the same time.

The Andrew Ure comparison actually put things into perspective and was very helpful- thank you!

I guess I’ll get used to it overtime as I live pretty much on the doorstep of my city centre so even tho this is close- i don’t know that life yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending