The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow School of Art Interview

Hi everyone. I did my interview for Glasgow School of Art Painting and Printmaking two days ago and got an offer yesterday. I thought I'd post the questions they asked me here as I would have found it really helpful to prepare for before the interview. It was a bit of a blur so I am just paraphrasing what I can remember.

- Why do you want to go do Painting and Printmaking at Glasgow?
- Tell us about one of the pieces in your portfolio.
- How has your use of materials developed in your work?
- Have you read any books or films that have influenced you recently?
Reply 1
oh and they asked for some questions at the end, they left a lot of room for that so try think of some good ones
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I thought that place burned down under suspicious circumstances?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi everyone. I did my interview for Glasgow School of Art Painting and Printmaking two days ago and got an offer yesterday. I thought I'd post the questions they asked me here as I would have found it really helpful to prepare for before the interview. It was a bit of a blur so I am just paraphrasing what I can remember.

Hi, I’ve applied to GSA and I have my interview coming up. Do you have any advice? I’ve applied to do sculpture and environmental art but I assume that the interview’s will be quite similar.
Reply 4
@MoRD28 well what I did was prepare a page of all the things I wanted to say, not a script but just some of the stuff so that I got my head in order and talked through it with myself as if I was in the interview. Then in the actual interview I went completely off that script and said lots of things that I hadn't even thought of before the interview, and flowed with the conversation. It's nice because they're just interested in you, not anything else. I was very nervous so my mum sent me a bunch of hypnosis meditation podcasts to listen to as I went to sleep the day before, which I did, but I don't know if that helped at all. Really just try to tell the interviewers about things that add to the context of the work that you might not have said in the portfolio or portfolio statement. They seemed to really like it when I explained the context and the conceptual aspects of the work. If they ask you which films or books you have read/seen recently then try to make it very relevant to what you have been making. Also try to make your reasoning for going to Glasgow personal and unique to yourself, not a general answer, even if you haven't been there.
Hope this is helpful, good luck.

That's so exciting, congratulations! I'm surprised the turnaround was so fast, and I'm stressing a little since I haven't heard back from them about an interview yet.. I sent my portfolio for BA Interaction Design in 2 weeks ago, and was expecting to hear about an interview mid-Feb. I also thought they only gave offers in May but that's fantastic you already received one! I'm assuming it might vary between departments but fingers crossed I'll hear back soon..

Thank you for your help with the interview questions! I have a friend doing Sculpture and Environmental Art who applied there last year and was given an unconditional offer to second year, but she didn't have much advice for the interview.

Someone else I know has also applied for the same course as you, so I guess it would be useful to know - when did you submit your portfolio/statement and how quickly did they invite you for interview?

Well done on the offer!! I had my interview for painting and printmaking earlier today and they said it’d be three weeks until the got back to me, if I get an offer I’ll reply here and we can maybe keep in touch in case we both decide to go there :smile:
Original post by pinkapoppy
That's so exciting, congratulations! I'm surprised the turnaround was so fast, and I'm stressing a little since I haven't heard back from them about an interview yet.. I sent my portfolio for BA Interaction Design in 2 weeks ago, and was expecting to hear about an interview mid-Feb. I also thought they only gave offers in May but that's fantastic you already received one! I'm assuming it might vary between departments but fingers crossed I'll hear back soon..

Thank you for your help with the interview questions! I have a friend doing Sculpture and Environmental Art who applied there last year and was given an unconditional offer to second year, but she didn't have much advice for the interview.

Someone else I know has also applied for the same course as you, so I guess it would be useful to know - when did you submit your portfolio/statement and how quickly did they invite you for interview?

Hi, even though you weren’t asking me just thought I’d help by answering as I’ve applied to painting too! I sent my folio+statement away on the 22nd of jan and got an invite to interview on the 25th.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi, even though you weren’t asking me just thought I’d help by answering as I’ve applied to painting too! I sent my folio+statement away on the 22nd of jan and got an invite to interview on the 25th.

Is it the same 4 questions they ask for P&P interview?
Original post by Anonymous #3
Is it the same 4 questions they ask for P&P interview?

Yeah pretty much, they asked me the same stuff just worded differently to a way that suited my folio!
Reply 10

this is so helpful thank you! well done on your offer!! i have my interview in a week so very excited

Hi! Congrats! I was wondering if you had any advice of how you tackled the use of materials question?
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #3

Hi! Congrats! I was wondering if you had any advice of how you tackled the use of materials question?

I don't remember too well but I talked about how printing has helped me develop my painting style, how I use thick paint, how I built the panel I painted on, and the materials I used in some of my little sculptures. Basically talk about anything to do with some of your use of materials that they wouldn't be able to imply from just the image, and how you've developed how you use the materials. sorry if that's a bit convoluted but I hope it helps a bit
Original post by MoRD28
Hi, I’ve applied to GSA and I have my interview coming up. Do you have any advice? I’ve applied to do sculpture and environmental art but I assume that the interview’s will be quite similar.

Hiya, have you heard back after your SEA interview yet? Still awaiting my answer after my interview. Thanks :smile:
Anyone heard back yet for fashion design? Had an interview Monday 10th March and they said two weeks to hear but heard nothing yet :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending