The Student Room Group

How do I become a counsellor with a conversion MSc Psychology

I am going to study a MSc Psychology Conversion course at Leeds Beckett University this September with the final goal of becoming a school counsellor. However, I still have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I already have 3 years of teaching experience, how relevant it is for me to find jobs or enrol in another more specific course like an MA in counselling?

I have read the BACP guide to become a registered therapist here https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/careers-in-counselling/training/ and am wondering where will my degree stand at one of their 3 stages.
Reply 1
Original post by highlight5
I am going to study a MSc Psychology Conversion course at Leeds Beckett University this September with the final goal of becoming a school counsellor. However, I still have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

I already have 3 years of teaching experience, how relevant it is for me to find jobs or enrol in another more specific course like an MA in counselling?

I have read the BACP guide to become a registered therapist here https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/careers-in-counselling/training/ and am wondering where will my degree stand at one of their 3 stages.

You will be at stage zero when you finish the conversion, it is not part of the pathway and very few counsellors i have ever worked with have any qualifications in psychology, unles there are doing doctoral level.

Hope that helps,

Greg
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
You will be at stage zero when you finish the conversion, it is not part of the pathway and very few counsellors i have ever worked with have any qualifications in psychology, unles there are doing doctoral level.

Hope that helps,

Greg

Thanks for replying, do you have any suggestions for what I can do while studying or even after the course to get closer to my goal?
Reply 4
Thanks for replying, do you have any suggestions for what I can do while studying or even after the course to get closer to my goal?

Personally, i would not do the conversion, unless you are considering going on to a doctorate or specific course (ed psych etc). I just use my time and money to get the level 1 counselling skills and go from there.

I assume with your great experience in schools already you know or have worked with school counsellors, so id draw on them for advice. They will be much more experienced with the intricacies then i will be.

Take care,

Greg
Reply 6

This is really helpful, thanks a lot for your help
Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

This is really helpful, thanks a lot for your help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending