The Student Room Group

QMUL - MSc Mental Health: Psychological Therapies - Worth it?

Hello everyone! I’m a third year psychology student, and I was looking at places to apply to since I want to eventually become a Counselling Psychologist. Since i’m an international student, I’m not sure if I can take on a part-time certificate or diploma in therapy, so i’m going for the next best thing! A masters degree in Psychological Therapies at QMUL.

That said, I can barely find any info on it about it’s course quality and module detail. I don’t want to waste time but QMUL is really affordable compared to KCL or UCL. Is the course worth it? What’s it like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BunnyBomb1999
Hello everyone! I’m a third year psychology student, and I was looking at places to apply to since I want to eventually become a Counselling Psychologist. Since i’m an international student, I’m not sure if I can take on a part-time certificate or diploma in therapy, so i’m going for the next best thing! A masters degree in Psychological Therapies at QMUL.

That said, I can barely find any info on it about it’s course quality and module detail. I don’t want to waste time but QMUL is really affordable compared to KCL or UCL. Is the course worth it? What’s it like?

Hello!
I'm in a similar position to you too, well I graduated about 3 years ago now and have spent the past few years gaining some experience in mental health but really trying to move forward career wise.
I have applied to other courses/posts like Trainee Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner but haven't made it past interview stage and getting frustrated with being stagnant.

I've looked in to doing the MSc Psychological Therapies at QMUL before too but just not sure if it will be worth it etc.
Reply 2
Original post by BunnyBomb1999

Hey!

I am also planning to train as a Counselling Psychologist. I don't know about that specific program, but it would surely help with getting you a place on a doctorate program. I did MSc Psychological Wellbeing in Clinical Practice at MMU, but dropped it after 60 credits, so left with a postgraduate certificate in Psychological Therapies. I decided to finish my training as a counsellor instead, which I am doing now! I realised I much prefer the practical training and think it will be more useful for me.

I did have an interview for a counselling psychology doctorate program at the University of Manchester after finishing my Psychology and Counselling BSc, so a postgraduate qualification isn't necessarily needed, but my feedback was that I didn't have enough practical work experience, so I'm working on that now!

Hopefully someone else will be able to tell you more about that specific course.
I graduated from the course back in 2013 so not sure if the information is still the same. It was pretty good, we spent one day online and we had to watch/listen to a pre recorded lecture and make notes. It was pretty good due to its distance learning approach which made it flexible for many. In terms of assignments there was a 10 minute presentation, 3 exams and a dissertation. If you have any other questions feel free to ask
Reply 4
Original post by Lozlozloz21
I graduated from the course back in 2013 so not sure if the information is still the same. It was pretty good, we spent one day online and we had to watch/listen to a pre recorded lecture and make notes. It was pretty good due to its distance learning approach which made it flexible for many. In terms of assignments there was a 10 minute presentation, 3 exams and a dissertation. If you have any other questions feel free to ask

I hope you dont mind me asking, seen as you graduated from this course quite a while back now, what opportunities/path have you taken up since?
I really want to progress with my career in Psychology, an MSc course is quite costly and requires time and effort so I am just intrigued to hear if it really worth it to do one?
Original post by han_a94
I hope you dont mind me asking, seen as you graduated from this course quite a while back now, what opportunities/path have you taken up since?
I really want to progress with my career in Psychology, an MSc course is quite costly and requires time and effort so I am just intrigued to hear if it really worth it to do one?

Sure I don't mind, it helped me secure a post with a mental health charity and I have facilitated groups for people with mental health, physical health, learning disabilities and at risk of social isolation.
I've worked with children and young people experiencing emotional mental health difficulties
It also helped me with becoming a volunteer counsellor
And I also went to college to learn about the practical skills when I'm with service users / clients.

Currently I'm a trainee PWP so I would say it opened a lot of doors for me, whilst I might not apply everything, it's always good to have that analytical mind and be used to theories and studies. HTH
Heyyy , I am actually facing a similar dilemma myself since the course isn’t accredited. I would love to know if it’s worth it. Does the course help get into doctoral level training. I’m also planning to take up doctorate in counselling psychology. I signed up for this course to gain an upper hand in my doctorate application. Also it’s so interesting that all of us were at the same point. International students and wanting to gain a doctorate in psychology. Did ya’ll end up taking the course.
Hello, I was wondering... did you do a placement when you were in the program? If yes, how many hours were required? I have a full-time job and am worried about the required placement.
Hello, I was wondering... did you do a placement when you were in the program? If yes, how many hours were required? I have a full-time job and am worried about the required placement.
Original post by Souuuummyaaaaaa
Heyyy , I am actually facing a similar dilemma myself since the course isn’t accredited. I would love to know if it’s worth it. Does the course help get into doctoral level training. I’m also planning to take up doctorate in counselling psychology. I signed up for this course to gain an upper hand in my doctorate application. Also it’s so interesting that all of us were at the same point. International students and wanting to gain a doctorate in psychology. Did ya’ll end up taking the course.

hi im wondering the same thing? did you figure it out? it’s also academically accredited but not clinically accredited

hi i have a questions in terms of clinical experience , i’m trying to become a clinical psychologist. how were you able to find clinical experience
Original post by Souuuummyaaaaaa

hi any update? i’m trying to see if i can get clinical experience since v it’s only academically accredited
Original post by livelaughhate
hi i have a questions in terms of clinical experience , i’m trying to become a clinical psychologist. how were you able to find clinical experience

heyyy i am deciding whether to do psychology degree and then become a clinical psychologist afterwards. I wanted to ask is it easy to do and get into uni and stuff
Original post by livelaughhate

Hey, I'd suggest looking into voluntary organisations, assistant Psychologist positions, anything where you're working with people in a clinical/therapeutic environment.

In terms of myself, I worked in a mental health charity and in my time there I worked in 3 roles. My first was delivering wellbeing groups to the local community. The second offered drop in services for young people, with a day helping clinicians in CAMHS triage referrals. My third role was originally to help people in the local community get back into employment, volunteering or education, however this was just before lockdown so we became a community support service offering befriending, signposting service users to other community services, organising food parcels.
I also went back to college and got my levels 2 and 3 counselling skills and I volunteered as a counsellor.

I'm not too sure about specifics for clinical psychology doctorate but I know it's highly competitive so it's all about you getting experience and reflecting on that to grow your skills.
What's your experience level like at the moment?
(edited 10 months ago)
Hey, I'd suggest looking into voluntary organisations, assistant Psychologist positions, anything where you're working with people in a clinical/therapeutic environment.

I'm not too sure about specifics for clinical psychology doctorate but I know it's highly competitive so it's all about you getting experience and reflecting on that to grow your skills.
What's your experience level like at the moment?

heyyy have you done a bachelors degree in psychology
Original post by ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy
heyyy have you done a bachelors degree in psychology

Yes, graduated 2012
(edited 10 months ago)
Yes, graduated 2012

Im deciding whether to do it at university or not. Do you think its worth it also what career has this psychology degree led you to if you dont mind me asking
In terms of ''ease'', no, it's not easy.
3 years undergrad
Potentially 1 year masters
3 years doctorate (and you may not be successful on your first attempt)
Look at clinpsy forum and look at the many threads of applicants who apply multiple times.

You have to learn a lot of theory, studies, names, dates. In psychology you learn about statistics and have to learn how to critically evaluate theory, then you do a dissertation. You may have to undertake voluntary work to build knowledge before obtaining a role where you become client facing. It's rewarding but tough
Original post by ashhhhhyyyyyyyyy
Im deciding whether to do it at university or not. Do you think its worth it also what career has this psychology degree led you to if you dont mind me asking

I can't tell you whether a course is for you or not, I'd suggest thinking about what interests you about psychology - is it human behaviour? Research? Providing therapy?

Are you studying this for A level?

I'm a psychological wellbeing practitioner BTW
I can't tell you whether a course is for you or not, I'd suggest thinking about what interests you about psychology - is it human behaviour? Research? Providing therapy?

Are you studying this for A level?

I'm a psychological wellbeing practitioner BTW

im not studying this for a levels im doing chemistry, biology and maths. my original plan was to do medicine to become psychiatric but then clinical psychologist is similar too and medicine seems really hard.

Quick Reply

Latest