The Student Room Group
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London

Medicine GEM Question

Hi i am currently going into 3rd year at St George for biomedical science and was wondering is there any benefit or points given if you apply to GEM within the same university you done your undergraduate degree in. Thanks
(Moved to the St. George's forum, there might be a rep or someone else who has researched this here.)
Halls of residence, St George's, University of London
St George's Hospital Medical School
London
I think some universities operate guaranteed interview schemes for BMS students meeting certain requirements, but I believe those are more or less what you'd need to achieve to get an interview anyway so I'm not sure exactly how much benefit those are. Not sure if SGUL has one for BMS students not on the clinical BMS track for transferring to the GEM course (assuming that is still running).
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. I’ve always wondered if there’s any benefit when applying to the same uni you done your undergraduate in for GEM. My friends have the same questions in different universities. I guess I’ll find out soon when I see my tutor and ask him.
Forgot to add that in the limited experience I have with GEM admissions in the past, we did not prioritise returning students, they all got assessed the same.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Forgot to add that in the limited experience I have with GEM admissions in the past, we did not prioritise returning students, they all got assessed the same.

I see okay then thanks for the heads up. I’ll just try my best for 3rd year to get the highest grades possible.

One final question if you don’t mind would you say do just the UCAT exam or do GAMSAT etc as well. I’m kinda stuck on it.
Original post by Raymon157
I see okay then thanks for the heads up. I’ll just try my best for 3rd year to get the highest grades possible.

One final question if you don’t mind would you say do just the UCAT exam or do GAMSAT etc as well. I’m kinda stuck on it.

Unfortunately I have been away from med admissions for a while so cant answer that. You might be better starting a new thread in the general med forum, and outline your quals and current overall mark at undergrad.
Reply 7
Original post by Raymon157
Thanks for the reply. I’ve always wondered if there’s any benefit when applying to the same uni you done your undergraduate in for GEM. My friends have the same questions in different universities. I guess I’ll find out soon when I see my tutor and ask him.

As someone who is starting med at SGUL having done my first degree there, I think the one advantage that you could get in applying is that it's easier to answer questions like 'why do you want to study at x'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending