The Student Room Group

Pathways to medicine

Hi, I am a year 12 student, who is interested in pursuing a medicine degree, yet haven’t got the specific A levels required, I am currently doing Law, Business and Statistics A levels.

In fact, i was homeschooled in years 10/11 and that affected me mentally as I did not have any friends and was a victim of severe bullying of what my school did not care about, which led to my parents removing me from that school. As i was in year 10, schools did not accept me as it’s too late and the exam boards would be different, which makes no sense. So we looked at homeschooling, which was not for me. We had a severe discontinuity of teachers and were not able to finish the specification and prepare for the exams.

Now, I am finding other ways to pursue my dream of doing medicine, and just wanted some advice on what to do next.

Also considering completing a law degree so I can do a post grad in neuroscience, furthering to medicine post grad, as most post grad medicine courses need a biological science degree.

Coming back to my question how can i pursue a medicine degree with no A-level Biology and Chemistry?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Abdullah924
Hi, I am a year 12 student, who is interested in pursuing a medicine degree, yet haven’t got the specific A levels required, I am currently doing Law, Business and Statistics A levels.

In fact, i was homeschooled in years 10/11 and that affected me mentally as I did not have any friends and was a victim of severe bullying of what my school did not care about, which led to my parents removing me from that school. As i was in year 10, schools did not accept me as it’s too late and the exam boards would be different, which makes no sense. So we looked at homeschooling, which was not for me. We had a severe discontinuity of teachers and were not able to finish the specification and prepare for the exams.

Now, I am finding other ways to pursue my dream of doing medicine, and just wanted some advice on what to do next.

Also considering completing a law degree so I can do a post grad in neuroscience, furthering to medicine post grad, as most post grad medicine courses need a biological science degree.

Coming back to my question how can i pursue a medicine degree with no A-level Biology and Chemistry?

So basically I think you're overcomplicating things.

Your proposed route is unnecessarily long - even if you found a postgraduate neuroscience degree that would take you after a law degree, there would be no benefit in doing that before going into graduate entry medicine anyway. Also "most" GEM courses don't require a bioscience degree - about a third don't require any specific degree (about a third require any science degree, and the remaining third want a bioscience degree specifically, roughly).

For what it's worth, Newcastle medicine doesn't have any A-level subject requirements anyway for standard entry.

In any event, graduate entry medicine is also considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine. You would be better off taking a gap year and doing A-level Bio/Chem. This would be quicker than doing GEM, less competitive, and probably even less expensive (even if you do have to pay to do the science endorsement out of pocket).

Even if you don't want to do a gap year and take those A-levels (which is by far and away the best choice), even if you were aiming for GEM you could do a bioscience degree with a foundation year to give yourself the widest range of GEM courses to consider applying to. However you're still much better taking one or more gap years and meeting the requirements for standard entry med and applying directly to that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending