The Student Room Group

Passion vs salary - Help

I do a levels biology chemistry geography and I don't know which course to take at uni. Preferably looking for yearly salary of 35-50k/year.
I'm interested in animals but the courses that are available (apart from vet medicine) have either a low salary or hard to find jobs with.
Should I do something such as optometry (looking into work experience) but have a side hobby/job with animals which would give me a good pay but it's not my passion (chance I could get bored as its repetitive) or something with a 20k salary but with animals
EDIT- Hoping for a predicted of ABB at least
(edited 8 months ago)
You are at work for a lot of your life (possibly as much as two thirds of The time you spend awake either working or travelling to and from work)

Work out what it is that you enjoy and look to do that.

If you enjoy it, if it’s fun for you, you will work hard at it. If you work hard at it you will get good at it. If you’re good at it, people will want to pay you to do it and you will earn more.

Even if you don’t earn a fortune, you will at least have a happy life.

Earning lots of money doing something you don’t enjoy / something you hate is not a good way to spend your life.

It really does all start with you working out what you want to do with the most precious thing / most scarce thing you have - your time
Reply 2
Original post by Johnny Valentine
You are at work for a lot of your life (possibly as much as two thirds of The time you spend awake either working or travelling to and from work)

Work out what it is that you enjoy and look to do that.

If you enjoy it, if it’s fun for you, you will work hard at it. If you work hard at it you will get good at it. If you’re good at it, people will want to pay you to do it and you will earn more.

Even if you don’t earn a fortune, you will at least have a happy life.

Earning lots of money doing something you don’t enjoy / something you hate is not a good way to spend your life.

It really does all start with you working out what you want to do with the most precious thing / most scarce thing you have - your time

I second this. Money is always there to be earned whenever you want to earn it, but the opportunities to pursue something you're passionate about don't come round very often. Identify your passion as early as you can and stick to it. Too many people opt for high-paying careers that they aren't actually that interested in (like medicine, law, finance), only to burn out five or ten years down the road because the passion just isn't there to sustain them through the difficult times.
Do you have any interest at all in optometry, or do you just think it pays well?

Pursuing a degree you're not interested in will make you hate university, which will make it harder to motivate yourself to complete assignments and get good grades. Even if you get through uni with a strong degree classification, you're likely to eventually feel as if you wasted your funding because it isn't going to lead to a career you'll enjoy. Money is essential for living, of course, but coming home from a job you don't enjoy will leave you feeling drained, fed-up, and grumpy. That lack of fulfilment at work will bleed into the rest of your life, leaving you with little motivation to do much in your free time and take a toll on your personal relationships. If you know from the start that it won't lead to a career that you will enjoy, then it's better to not apply for that course.
(edited 8 months ago)
The ideas of Ikigai work for me

I have worked in lots of roles and lots of organisations, honestly the biggest impact on my enjoyment was the people I worked with, the most miserable when I was being asked to do stuff that was not playing to my strengths at all
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by DiyaP500
I do a levels biology chemistry geography and I don't know which course to take at uni. Preferably looking for yearly salary of 35-50k/year.
I'm interested in animals but the courses that are available (apart from vet medicine) have either a low salary or hard to find jobs with.
Should I do something such as optometry (looking into work experience) but have a side hobby/job with animals which would give me a good pay but it's not my passion (chance I could get bored as its repetitive) or something with a 20k salary but with animals
EDIT- Hoping for a predicted of ABB at least

Don’t pick a job based on salary, you could be on 100k a year but be in a terrible role and hate your job, pick what would make you happy.

Any career has the potential for progression and with that an increase in salary as time goes on.

Being a vet isn’t all about the money, however there are plenty of jobs available (vet shortages at the moment!), and salary tends to start from 30k and then there’s room for progression within that.

So whilst it’s not a job you’re going to be rolling in the £££ in your first year, you can be paid a decent salary several years in and be almost at that 50k mark.
Reply 6
Don't pursue a vocation like Optometry if you have no interest in it. Do not study for a degree which leads to one (or very few) career(s) if you know you're not into it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending