The Student Room Group

Pwc vs civil service

So I’ve been offered a role at PWC on their graduate tax scheme. I also applied for the civil service fast stream and didn’t get it but they offered me a job anyway (just not on the fast stream) I’m unsure which to go for - I’m definitely more interested in politics and I think I’d enjoy civil service more but with PWC I’d have great earning potential. The civil service salary is 31-34k (depending on which department they place me in) and the PWC starting salary is 28k but obviously it goes up a lot once you’re a qualified accountant. I know it’s so dependent on the individual but I’m curious what others in my position would do
Original post by mervily
So I’ve been offered a role at PWC on their graduate tax scheme. I also applied for the civil service fast stream and didn’t get it but they offered me a job anyway (just not on the fast stream) I’m unsure which to go for - I’m definitely more interested in politics and I think I’d enjoy civil service more but with PWC I’d have great earning potential. The civil service salary is 31-34k (depending on which department they place me in) and the PWC starting salary is 28k but obviously it goes up a lot once you’re a qualified accountant. I know it’s so dependent on the individual but I’m curious what others in my position would do

You said yourself that you believe you would enjoy the civil service job more than PWC. There is more to life than money. If I were you I would take the civil service job.
Civil Service probably has a better work life balance from what I've heard from my friends who work in the top 4 and if you fail an exam multiple times you'll get the boot. It sounds like you've already made your decision based on what your passion is and if you're gonna do a job at least do one you will enjoy. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by mervily

Are both jobs in London and do you want to stay in London in the future? Which area of the civil service?

By the way, there was a guy making almost the same decision as you around a year ago - he looked into it a lot and got load of advice. Could you look through old posts and mail him?
Reply 4
Thanks for everybody that replied - I decided to go with the civil service role! I just feel more comfortable with it and it pays more :smile: Plus the long hours at PWC are just not for me!
Are you happy with your choice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending