The Student Room Group

How to make friends before starting university? Are there any apps ?

How to make friends before starting university?
(edited 8 months ago)
Some accommodation halls will have opt-in ways to meet potential flat mates, but in general it’s just easier to do in person.
Original post by Joie360

Hi @Joie360,

Which course will you be studying? How are you feeling about everything?

Like @mnot mentioned, living with each other is how some people make their friends. This is not the only option. Some other ways people make friends is through sitting next to new people in lectures/seminars, joining societies and becoming actively involved in them. Other ways also include becoming a rep/ambassador/working for the university in a cafe or library. A lot of universities hire students to run the on-campus services such as cafes and bars, so this is a great way to make some extra money as well as make friends.

In the meantime before university begins, maybe reach out to your university to see if there are student group chats that are active. Most universities will have a freshers Facebook group that you can join. I dont know of any apps but I hope these examples of ways to make friends are helpful!

Keep in mind that your friends/friendship group may change overtime and you do not have to stay with the same friends you make at the beginning of the year.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Joie360

Hi @Joie360,

One of my tips would be seeing if you can find official Facebook groups as this is a great way of chatting to people on your course, people with similar interests to you or people who wish to join the same society/societies as you.
Also, if you are moving away from home and into accommodation there are usually Facebook groups for this so that you can talk to your future flatmates as well which would be another recommendation to join.

However, you have plenty of opportunity to make friends during your time at university however I do understand the comfort of knowing a few familiar faces before you start.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca
2nd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending