The Student Room Group

How to make friends?

Hey everyone :smile:
I’ll be going to uni in September and I’m really excited, but I’m nervous about making friends. Im not the best with social situations so was wondering what’s the best way to make some friends??
Original post by RoBeart
I’ll be going to uni in September and I’m really excited, but I’m nervous about making friends. Im not the best with social situations so was wondering what’s the best way to make some friends??

Hi @RoBeart :h:

I completely understand, I was the same when I started Uni. To help make friends and meet people, I tried to get involved in activities that the uni ran at the start of the year, even the ones that I wasn’t sure I was going to enjoy. It also helped me to remember that the majority of people feel just as nervous as I did.

The main way I found that I made friends would have been the ones I met naturally through classes. A lot of the time you will find that the people you get along with will come along, some I even made really close friendships with towards the end of the year!

Overall I’d say just try to get involved and if you struggle with that, don’t be disheartened because you will find the right people.

Are there any societies or sports you like that you could get involved in?

Emily
First Year Creative Writing Student
Original post by RoBeart

hello! :smile:

Oh I am so excited for you! Congratulations for getting into university! You must be so excited. :smile:
I am doing my masters degree and the best way I made friends was to meet people naturally in classes. However, this may sounds strange! But to meet people that were definately on my wave length, I actually observed the class for about 2 weeks before interacting with anyone. This gave me chance to really protect my boundaries and not dive too deep in without knowing the types of friendships I wanted and deserved. I now have amazing friends who have naturally gravitated towards me.

Heres some nice tips for making friends, I hope it helps! :smile: -

- Listen to peoples answers in seminars - you might have similar opinions and interests! :smile:
- attend societies that suit your interests
- you could become a student rep and meet people that way. This will also earn you a bit of money too! :smile:
- be yourself! Stay authentically you at all times. Do not compromise yourself for anyone - people will love and respect that and you will meet the right people on your vibration :smile:
- be open to invites to places (but stay safe!! :smile:)
- go onto the 'event brite' app and see if your university has a page with events on
- look out for social events advertised through university
- strike up conversations with people who you naturally feel pulled to "hey! I loved you answer today in class, I have similar opinions and outlooks, would you like to grab a coffee with me sometime after class? :smile:"
- get involved in activites or work experience in your chosen subject :smile:
- See if your class has a whatsapp or facebook group - mine does and its a lovely way to help people out with answers about class and then make friends :smile:

A tip is, I sit at the back of any class I am attending for the first time, so i can see the people and see whats what! haha :smile:

i hope this helps!
All the best
Laura
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by RoBeart

Hey there @RoBeart !
Everyone is there for the same reason at the end of the day. Just approach people! If this isn't in your comfort zone then I'd advise making use of social media before you go. Try joining some freshers Facebook groups and then from there you can find accommodation and course groups to join. This is how I met some of my flatmates and my coursemates before I went and it made it a lot easier when moving in. It also meant I'd found a group of people to walk to my lectures with and sit with before I'd even got there which made things better on the first day.

They do say that societies give you the best possible chance of making friends so try to book onto as many welcome week events as you can and see what's out there. If you end up picking a society, you'll already have things in common with people there because you joined the same society. Even if you join a few and give it a trial period to try them all out and see which ones you prefer. This also means you get the social aspect of it as well and it's always easier to make friends on a night out because you don't have to be thinking of awkward small talk 24/7. Once you've got comfortable with each other then it'll all be fine. If societies aren't for you then try something different like joining your university's gym or finding a job working for the university as it's a great way to meet like-minded people.

I'm sure the nerves are only concerning you because it's fear of the unknown. Once you get there and begin to settle in, everything will fall into place and you'll wonder what you were even worried about in the first place.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by RoBeart

Hi there,
My best advice is to take it a day at a time but put yourself out there. Going to a brand new city and meeting so many new people is daunting, I definitely felt that way in my first year. Join societies that interest you, that way you know you'll have something in common with the other people who join them. Go to events at your university, try taster sessions and talk to people in your lecutres/seminars. You won't get along with every single person but the more you talk to others, the more likely it is that you'll meet people you like.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by RoBeart

Hi there @RoBeart,

Firstly congrats! It's great to hear that you are starting university in September! :smile:

Starting university is a very exciting time and there are many great ways that you can make friends. Your university will hold a welcome week, this is a great place to start making friends and if you are living in student accommodation a way to get to know your flat mates better. Joining a society or sports team is the perfect way to meet like-minded friends and get involved in social activities outside of your course. It's normal to feel nervous but making friends at uni is easier than you might think as there are a lot of people going through the same experience. Just be yourself and try to get involved with as much as possible.

All the best,
Sarah :smile:
Original post by RoBeart

Hi!
I felt very much the same when I started last September, I found that once I arrived at university I was given information on so many freshers week events (these don't only include clubbing!) and societies. Everyone is looking to make friends when they first arrive at university so it's a lot easier than you think to just start chatting with people. Societies are a great way to find people with similar interests, as you immediately have something in common with the people around you (whether thats a sport or hobby). You will have the opportunity to make friends with your flatmates and course mates as well as societies and events so don't worry that you won't find your people because you will have the opportunity to meet so many different people.

Top tips:
- Head to your freshers fair to see what events and societies your uni have to offer.
- Have the confidence to just start chatting to people, everyone speaks to so many people during the first few weeks that if its an awkward interaction chances are they won't remember.
- Have fun, get involved with the types of events you love, this is the best way to make friends who have similar interests/lifestyle to you!

Hope this helps, Faye :smile:
Original post by RoBeart

Hey @RoBeart

1) Chat and be friendly to everyone
2) If you feel up to it go along with any impulsive plans, or even make some yourself. I wouldn't have some of my friends if I hadn't invited them for coffee after the lab practical we did together
3) Join societies
4) Don't stop making friends once freshers is over or if you already have a friend group - some of my closer friends I only met in 2nd year

I hope I could help!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by RoBeart

Hello!

Being an international student, I was extremely nervous about making friends at the new university and in the new country. But I made my first friend on the very first day of university who is my best friend now. I hope my personal advice on making friends at university will be helpful to you. I would like to share some of it with you.
In college, friends are made through a variety of activities and means. I think the classroom is where a lot of friendships begin. Through group projects, study sessions, or just by striking up a conversation before or after class, you can get to know and interact with your classmates. Another thing to do at the start of year is getting involved in clubs, student organizations, or extracurricular activities is a great way to connect with people who have the same passions and interests as you do. You can develop relationships with people who share your interests or objectives by taking part in club meetings, events, and activities.
Events and social activities like orientations, Freshers fair, sporting events, concerts, and parties are frequently organized by universities. Participating in these events gives you the chance to socialize with other people. If you are going to live on campus, your roommates and neighbors may turn into friends. From my experience sharing living spaces encourages socializing and interactions naturally, which helps you build relationships with neighbors. University libraries, computer labs, Cafe areas and designated study areas can all serve as good places to make new friends. Seeing the same people frequently while studying fosters interactions and connections.
Social media and online platforms are very common, so many students use them to connect with others and make friends before or while attending university. Examples of these platforms include Facebook groups, online forums, Su buddies and university-specific apps. Always keep in mind that making friends in college takes time, so it's important to be approachable, open-minded, and proactive about striking up conversations and participating in activities. Don't give up if you don't immediately form friends because it takes time. Be patient and wait for connections to arise naturally.
I hope this is helpful.
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador
Original post by RoBeart

Hi there

Current Cardiff Uni student here!

Firstly, congrats on getting into university! This is such an exciting time and everyone is in the same shoes. Everyone you will meet at university will be looking to make friends. You can make friends with your housemates and coursemates, or join a society or two. It's much easier to make friends than you think!

I hope this helps

Jaz - Cardiff Uni Rep
Original post by RoBeart

Hi @Robert I was in the exact situation, what I would recommend doing is on your first day go before your scheduled lesson as people will be trying to find the room for the lesson this is a great way to start a conversation as you can both find the room together and learn a but about each other. Another suggestion would be to attend some society events this is a great way to find others with similar hobbies. My final tip would be to be confident and friendly if you make an effort the same effort will be made back. Hope this Helps! Enjoy your first year!

Gurpej Kaur(Student Rep)
Original post by RoBeart

Hi @RoBeart

That's great to hear you'll be starting university in September!

It is totally normal to feel nervous about making friends, it's definitely something I was worrying about when starting university.

Fortunately there are many different ways to meet new people and make friends when starting. You could join social media group chats for your university and/or course before starting university. This can help you get to know other people and have an idea of who to look out for when starting your course.

Freshers week is also another opportunity to make friends.
Your course/module leader may also assign activities for you all such as team building which can help with getting to know others on your course and allows you to make friends.
Another way to make friends and get to know people on your course is through group work and attending lectures. They both involve a large amount of communication which can ultimately help with making friends.

There is also the opportunity to join societies which are based on your interests and hobbies. Joining societies can allow you to make friends - potentially from other courses with the same interests as you.

You could also have a look to see whether your university has any job opportunities, for example, working in the student's union. This can also help with making friends with people at University.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending