The Student Room Group

How to prepare for uni as a NEET?

I’ve been out of education for a while now and not currently working due to mental health issues. I really wanna go to uni but I’m clueless as to how I can actually prepare myself academically and socially. I don’t have friends and I’m cut off from people around my age so I’m concerned that I’m gonna struggle socially. In terms of studying I know there’s HE courses and what not I was doing one but had to quit mid way even though I was enjoying it and applied too late this year but I’m planning on uni for next academic year. So how can I actually be ready for uni?
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been out of education for a while now and not currently working due to mental health issues. I really wanna go to uni but I’m clueless as to how I can actually prepare myself academically and socially. I don’t have friends and I’m cut off from people around my age so I’m concerned that I’m gonna struggle socially. In terms of studying I know there’s HE courses and what not I was doing one but had to quit mid way even though I was enjoying it and applied too late this year but I’m planning on uni for next academic year. So how can I actually be ready for uni?

Hi,

It is great to hear you want to go in prepared. Which course are you intending to study?

Whilst you won't be 100% prepared I believe there are things you can do to help. I will write these in short bullet points below so you or anyone can go through them quickly:

* Make a routine, even if it does not include studying. Simply getting into the habit of planning and knowing how to juggle other commitments will help when you do get your timetable and have to fit things in.

* Try get your CV ready before you start. If you can I would say have a template/basic structure with what you already have, as you go through university you will gain experience. As you gain the experience you can add it to your CV so it is all in one place.

* Keep using TSR. If you start university and you are struggling with studying or any other issues sometimes the TSR community can be really helpful.

* If you know you want to make notes on your laptop/tablet/iPad ensure you have storage space and all the apps you need ready.

* Start reading on your subject, whether its opinion articles or listening to audiobooks on it. You can also watch videos or documentaries that explore topics you are going to cover.

Finally, with regards to friendships I feel like it is hard to plan this. You can join societies and groupchats before you begin to make this process easier. usually you will find groupchats for courses and university freshers via Facebook. If you don't see one you can always make one! Once you do start meeting friends and going out (if that is something you want to do) but have not done it in a while, you might notice your social battery running out so do be patient and kind with yourself. Your university journey is a marathon not a sprint (very cliche but I have found it to be so true).

Good luck! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous

Anon,

An Access course might be useful to prepare academically.

Socially, it might be trying to get involved with more things happening around you e.g. volunteering, starting new hobbies etc...

Meeting new people or spending time with more people will help you to build your social skills, so even if you are not spending time with lots of people who are your age, you will still feel more confident about talking to new people and starting conversations at university.

Hobbies will also give you something to talk about when you do start university or even help you find societies that may be of interest of you.

Finally, volunteering and some new hobbies, might also help you stand out as an applicant when you apply to university and give you something to talk about if you have an interview, so do try to get involved with more things now.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending