The Student Room Group

Should I end this online friendship

I know most people nowadays make most of their friends online through social media and I’ve made friends with people before who I’m still friends with now and love a lot

I’ve had this online friend for around 2 years now and we talk pretty much daily (unless something comes up) and it’s usually for around 5/6 hours on an average day and don’t get me wrong I do enjoy talking to them because we have a lot in common, the conversations are good and isn’t forced and they’re nice but the realistic side of it is we’re always going to be online friends (I live in Australia atm and he lives in Germany) and we’ll never meet up in person like I have done before with other online friends who live in the same country as me, we’ve video called a lot before though

I just feel like I’m wasting my time because I could be doing something else with it rather than engaging in conversations with someone I’ll never meet I’m not saying I’d be doing much better things because I’d pretty much be doing what I do now when I’m messaging them (watching Netflix, reading, playing games) but it would free that time up

I don’t have anything against them because they’re really nice but they’ve told me that they’re happy we’re friends and I’m the only person they really talk to, pretty much telling me they enjoy our friendship and I do too but I do think they’re more invested in it (I’m not too sure because it seems to be pretty equal) I have told them before I’m happy we’re friends and I’ve made it known to them so if I was to end it it would be very confusing to them and I do feel so bad for even thinking about it it’s because I know it’s going to be online for however long the friendship lasts

Any advice please
Original post by Anonymous
I know most people nowadays make most of their friends online through social media and I’ve made friends with people before who I’m still friends with now and love a lot

I’ve had this online friend for around 2 years now and we talk pretty much daily (unless something comes up) and it’s usually for around 5/6 hours on an average day and don’t get me wrong I do enjoy talking to them because we have a lot in common, the conversations are good and isn’t forced and they’re nice but the realistic side of it is we’re always going to be online friends (I live in Australia atm and he lives in Germany) and we’ll never meet up in person like I have done before with other online friends who live in the same country as me, we’ve video called a lot before though

I just feel like I’m wasting my time because I could be doing something else with it rather than engaging in conversations with someone I’ll never meet I’m not saying I’d be doing much better things because I’d pretty much be doing what I do now when I’m messaging them (watching Netflix, reading, playing games) but it would free that time up

I don’t have anything against them because they’re really nice but they’ve told me that they’re happy we’re friends and I’m the only person they really talk to, pretty much telling me they enjoy our friendship and I do too but I do think they’re more invested in it (I’m not too sure because it seems to be pretty equal) I have told them before I’m happy we’re friends and I’ve made it known to them so if I was to end it it would be very confusing to them and I do feel so bad for even thinking about it it’s because I know it’s going to be online for however long the friendship lasts

Any advice please

maybe suggest that you only spend 1 hour a day online with them ?

Any advice please

Been there seen that
Firstly you're a very compassionate person. It's lovely of you to care about your friend so much!
Of course you could just let the friendship come to a natural end but if you're talking for 5-6 hours in a day that's addiction and you're already contemplating better ways to spend your time then why wait?
I have a hunch this is on Discord. Maybe you could direct the friend to several servers or make groups with your friends so there's more people to talk to.
You could also put an app limit timer so that you use the app less and tell your friend you're busy. It's not really worth telling them why and anyone should be able to respect this. Also make sure you appear as offline.
I think it's worth catching up once in a while. The person seems like a lot of fun but your solo activities and hobbies matter too!
Have fun no matter what you end up doing !!
Original post by the bear
maybe suggest that you only spend 1 hour a day online with them ?

Thank you that would be a good idea!! I’m not sure how I’d go about that though because it would seem like I’m lying to them given the amount of times I’ve said to them I love talking to them etc
Original post by salosalo
Been there seen that
Firstly you're a very compassionate person. It's lovely of you to care about your friend so much!
Of course you could just let the friendship come to a natural end but if you're talking for 5-6 hours in a day that's addiction and you're already contemplating better ways to spend your time then why wait?
I have a hunch this is on Discord. Maybe you could direct the friend to several servers or make groups with your friends so there's more people to talk to.
You could also put an app limit timer so that you use the app less and tell your friend you're busy. It's not really worth telling them why and anyone should be able to respect this. Also make sure you appear as offline.
I think it's worth catching up once in a while. The person seems like a lot of fun but your solo activities and hobbies matter too!
Have fun no matter what you end up doing !!

Really because I thought I came off as a complete d!ck but thank you !! I do care about them a lot because I know them really well and know a lot about them but it’s so time consuming

I would just feel so bad and awful for ending it though because if someone did that to me who I thought would be in my life for a long time I’d be really confused and sad too

It is on discord that’s how we met :colondollar: but now we have each other on every single social media too :redface: I could do that but they’re pretty anti social and have told me that I’m the only person they feel comfortable enough to talk to

If I don’t reply on one app they do tend to message me on another, I have told them before that I’m “busy” and every time they’ve asked what I’m doing (out of curiosity) not a demanding way, it’s knowing it’s sort of pointless spending all this time talking to someone who I’ll never hang out with in person is the issue, what would you do?
Thank you that would be a good idea!! I’m not sure how I’d go about that though because it would seem like I’m lying to them given the amount of times I’ve said to them I love talking to them etc

just say " i have decided that from now on i will be available for one hour a day for you ".
Original post by the bear
just say " i have decided that from now on i will be available for one hour a day for you ".

Direct and straight to the point 😂
I had online friends from sixth form to graduating uni. i had to call time on it eventually as otherwise it would have gone on forever
i bascially just said how much i enjoyed talking to them and that if they ever want to meet in real life just send me a text. they were based in the u.s.
and that was it - haven't spoked since, and that was 4 years ago. i've been tempted to message them and see how getting on but don't want to re-kindle anything. kinda feels like texting your ex sort of thing. it was overall a good experience although i do wonder whether the time could have been spent elsewhere especially making in real life friends
(edited 1 year ago)

Any advice please

ahh i am in the same situation as you :/ i feel like they are too emotionally dependent on me and i also feel like i am getting too attached to someone who i wont ever meet. tbh slowly reducing the time you talk every day could be a start ig - dont abruptly end that friendship though, it will hurt your friend a lot.
btw since this was posted so long ago - what did u end up doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending