The Student Room Group

Biochemistry or Chemistry degree at Uni?

I recieved my A-level results yesterday and have been accepted to study biochemistry at Bristol Univeristy this year which I am very excited about. However, I am feeling a bit unsure about wether to stick with biochem or transfer to doing chemistry. I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on which may have better job prospects? I have looked at the two courses and both sound interesting and enjoyable to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :smile:
Job prospects probably similar overall, but there will be some jobs one could do with the one degree that you can't do with the other.

Also worth bearing in mind a degree in biochemistry is not a degree in "biological chemistry" - it's a bioscience degree focusing on molecular/developmental/cell biology areas. There may not be a great deal of actual chemistry after first year.

If your main interest is in chemistry then you'll only really find that addressed by a degree in chemistry :smile:
Original post by lasanya
I recieved my A-level results yesterday and have been accepted to study biochemistry at Bristol Univeristy this year which I am very excited about. However, I am feeling a bit unsure about wether to stick with biochem or transfer to doing chemistry. I was wondering if anyone could give any advice on which may have better job prospects? I have looked at the two courses and both sound interesting and enjoyable to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :smile:

Hi @lasanya,

Congratulations on your offer!

I also had difficulty deciding on a degree when I was coming to university so I have some advice based on how I made my decision. I eventually picked chemistry over the other courses because I basically thought I had more interest in it and thought I would enjoy it more.

1. Interest. Opt for the course that you genuinely have a passion for. You can go through the modules of both and compare which ones you want to study more.
2. Goals. Envisage yourself in 5,10, 20 years time. Are you leaning towards biology focused roles or something else?
3. Prospects. Both degrees offer good job prospects. Biochemistry better suits biotech, pharmaceuticals and healthcare whereas chemistry spans industries like materials and environment. I used the Prospects website (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree) to give me some more ideas about where my degree could take me. Also consider the fact that many graduate schemes accept many different degrees into their programs.
4. Advice. Email professors in both departments and ask any questions you may have. You can also talk to a career advisor to help give you more clarity.

In the future, your career does not have to strictly align with your degree so keep an open-mind and stay adaptable. In the end, I chose the degree that I thought I would enjoy more and aligned with the goals I had and that worked for me.

Good luck
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Job prospects probably similar overall, but there will be some jobs one could do with the one degree that you can't do with the other.

Also worth bearing in mind a degree in biochemistry is not a degree in "biological chemistry" - it's a bioscience degree focusing on molecular/developmental/cell biology areas. There may not be a great deal of actual chemistry after first year.

If your main interest is in chemistry then you'll only really find that addressed by a degree in chemistry :smile:

thank you so much! this is very helpful, I think i may switch to the chemistry degree then as this is my main interest. Appreciate it a lot!!! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lasanya

Hi there, sorry if this question is a bit personal but what did you get in your predicted A-levels and GCSE's for when you applied? I am interested in chemistry at Bristol and would like to get a rough idea of what grades they're expecting?
Reply 5
Of course no worries! In my GSCE's I got one 9, seven 8's, and one 7. For my predicted I had AAA. As long as your predicted grades are within the entry requirements I think you will be okay, as chemistry is not as compeitive to get onto as other courses like medicine. The entry requirements do vary depending on the courses, so a masters is A*AA whereas the BSc is AAA. Bristol also give reduced offers for quite a lot of schools in the country so it may be worth looking to see if yours is on there. Best of luck with your application!! :smile:
Reply 6
(Original post by jg0602)Hi there, sorry if this question is a bit personal but what did you get in your predicted A-levels and GCSE's for when you applied? I am interested in chemistry at Bristol and would like to get a rough idea of what grades they're expectin

Original post by lasanya
Of course no worries! In my GSCE's I got one 9, seven 8's, and one 7. For my predicted I had AAA. As long as your predicted grades are within the entry requirements I think you will be okay, as chemistry is not as compeitive to get onto as other courses like medicine. The entry requirements do vary depending on the courses, so a masters is A*AA whereas the BSc is AAA. Bristol also give reduced offers for quite a lot of schools in the country so it may be worth looking to see if yours is on there. Best of luck with your application!! :smile:

also thought it is worth mentioning, if you for example wanted to do the masters but only had the predicted grades for the bachelors. There is a goodchance they will let you transfer after first year if you have recieved high grades throughout or if you get the grades on A-level results day!
Reply 7
Original post by lasanya
(Original post by jg0602)Hi there, sorry if this question is a bit personal but what did you get in your predicted A-levels and GCSE's for when you applied? I am interested in chemistry at Bristol and would like to get a rough idea of what grades they're expectin

also thought it is worth mentioning, if you for example wanted to do the masters but only had the predicted grades for the bachelors. There is a goodchance they will let you transfer after first year if you have recieved high grades throughout or if you get the grades on A-level results day!

Aww thank you so much! :smile: That was very useful. I appreciate it. How are you doing at Bristol right now?
Reply 8
Original post by jg0602
Aww thank you so much! :smile: That was very useful. I appreciate it. How are you doing at Bristol right now?

anytime! I move on Friday as I'm first year, fingers crossed it will be all good!! If you have any more questions throughout the year feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending