The Student Room Group

Biochemistry vs Cellular and Molecular Medicine

Hi all, so I’ve got myself into a bit of a situation. I applied for 2021 entry in BSc Biochemistry. Originally I intended to go to Bristol, from which I got an unconditional because I’ve been on a gap year, but I made a dumb mistake and accepted a place at another uni based on someone else’s decision who’s going there (yes, my bad).

So, after contacting Bristol they told me my place cannot be reinstated, but said they could give me an offer for BSc Cellular and Molecular Medicine through UCAS Extra as a late applicant. I’ve looked through the specification and I like it, however even though both courses feature biochemistry modules, Cellular and Molecular Medicine has less chemistry since it’s a branch of Biomedical Sciences.

Is Biochemistry a better course than Cellular and Molecular Medicine? I’m interested mainly in genetics, which both courses feature. Should I accept this offer or should I risk it and wait until Clearing to see if Biochemistry becomes available at Bristol?

Thanks 🙏
Reply 1
what happened>? what did u eventually study? pls answer:frown: im in the same situation

Original post by username3688974
Hi all, so I’ve got myself into a bit of a situation. I applied for 2021 entry in BSc Biochemistry. Originally I intended to go to Bristol, from which I got an unconditional because I’ve been on a gap year, but I made a dumb mistake and accepted a place at another uni based on someone else’s decision who’s going there (yes, my bad).

So, after contacting Bristol they told me my place cannot be reinstated, but said they could give me an offer for BSc Cellular and Molecular Medicine through UCAS Extra as a late applicant. I’ve looked through the specification and I like it, however even though both courses feature biochemistry modules, Cellular and Molecular Medicine has less chemistry since it’s a branch of Biomedical Sciences.

Is Biochemistry a better course than Cellular and Molecular Medicine? I’m interested mainly in genetics, which both courses feature. Should I accept this offer or should I risk it and wait until Clearing to see if Biochemistry becomes available at Bristol?

Thanks 🙏
Reply 2
Original post by username3688974

Thanks 🙏

I'll be honest, you're likely not going to get a clearling place at a uni like bristol because it's a russel group uni which carries a lot of weight for subjects that depend on research (like sciences).

In terms of whats better...well thats up to what you find most interesting! If they're essentially the same course with the same modules then that means you're going to be attending lectures and labs with biochem students which means for those modules you're going to be learning the exact same amount of chemistry as on the biochem course. If having more chemistry in your degree is something that's important to you then maybe its worth the risk or worht waiting for next year.

The most important thing when it comes to picking your degree is finding something which interests you the most. When you're interested in something, studying is going to be so easy and enjoyable and isn't going to feel like terribly hard work. I'd look at the different modules and see what you're liking the most.

Another thing to consider is the accreditation. If you don't know what this is, its basically a stamp of approval from academic societies that essentially say that you're learning everything you should be learning in order for it to be a proper degree for that subject. Check if your courses have this.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending