The Student Room Group

Biochemistry degree or Psychology degree

Hi, I'm currently a student at Southampton University, and I completed first year in Psychology. I have a friend who goes to Nottingham who I visited at the beginning of my first year and ever since then, I've had doubts about my course/uni/both. I did Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology for A Level and got A* in Psychology, A in Biology, and 1 mark off an A in Chemistry (so annoying!). I really struggled with Chemistry theory (although that might be because I tended to leave learning/revising it until the day before), enjoyed and was mostly good at Biology, and found Psychology the most interesting and I was the best at it, hence picking it as my degree. However, I'm not so convinced about careers in Psychology as I'm not too into the whole working with patients thing, but also it just doesn't tend to pay the best. So, especially since I've had doubts since the beginning of my first year, I decided to research other options and stumbled upon Biochemistry. I seem to like the idea and the career options match what I have in mind much more (for instance, neuroscience, chemical analysis, pharmacy, forensic science) are all careers I find more interesting than psychology careers. But, my issue is since I already completed a year in Psychology and actually really enjoyed it, did well, and found it interesting, do I sacrifice that for Biochemistry?
Original post by Joanna_xox
Hi, I'm currently a student at Southampton University, and I completed first year in Psychology. I have a friend who goes to Nottingham who I visited at the beginning of my first year and ever since then, I've had doubts about my course/uni/both. I did Chemistry, Biology, and Psychology for A Level and got A* in Psychology, A in Biology, and 1 mark off an A in Chemistry (so annoying!). I really struggled with Chemistry theory (although that might be because I tended to leave learning/revising it until the day before), enjoyed and was mostly good at Biology, and found Psychology the most interesting and I was the best at it, hence picking it as my degree. However, I'm not so convinced about careers in Psychology as I'm not too into the whole working with patients thing, but also it just doesn't tend to pay the best. So, especially since I've had doubts since the beginning of my first year, I decided to research other options and stumbled upon Biochemistry. I seem to like the idea and the career options match what I have in mind much more (for instance, neuroscience, chemical analysis, pharmacy, forensic science) are all careers I find more interesting than psychology careers. But, my issue is since I already completed a year in Psychology and actually really enjoyed it, did well, and found it interesting, do I sacrifice that for Biochemistry?

Hey @Joanna_xox :smile:

How are you?

If you find Biochemistry to be a field that aligns better with your career interests, take the time to research it more, look into what the course offers, the career prospects, opportunities for any internships, work placements etc. Your professors and academic advisors at the uni are there to help you so you could arrange a chat with them and discuss your interests, concerns and career goals.

Could you consider trying to gain hands-on experiences in both psychology and biochem fields? Just to get a sense of the day-to-day work in each area, and then you can consider what you want to achieve in your career, the type of work you see yourself enjoying.

Some other things to consider is looking into the possibility of transferring to a biochemistry programme at your current uni or at another one if it is the path you decide to pursue, just look into the credit transfer process and any other requirements.

It's okay to change your mind and change the plan along the way, you're constantly growing, evolving, learning more about yourself and your interests, so being flexible about all this change is essential. Trust yourself, trust your instincts and decisions, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you! :smile:

Both Psychology and Biochemistry offer unique and exciting opportunities, just explore your options more and make a decision that feels right for your passions and career goals. Good luck with everything! :smile:

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending