The Student Room Group

Resitting A levels twice

Has anyone resat A'levels twice? What would universities think about this? Is it likely you would get no offers? Asking for a friend!
Reply 1
Original post by MairéadFlorence
Has anyone resat A'levels twice? What would universities think about this? Is it likely you would get no offers? Asking for a friend!

i re-sat my a-levels twice and honestly it was the best decision i could have made because i ended up getting way better predicted grades than i got last year (from CCC to AAA) and i got offers from 4/5 of the unis i applied to including imperial and kings. universities don't really mind if you retake your a-levels but if you re-take them more than once i think that's when they mind.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lana.xo
i re-sat my a-levels twice and honestly it was the best decision i could have made because i ended up getting way better predicted grades than i got last year (from CCC to AAA) and i got offers from 4/5 of the unis i applied to including imperial and kings. universities don't really mind if you retake your a-levels but if you re-take them more than once i think that's when they mind.

Can you share a bit more about you experience because I'm considering doing mine again and applying to places like imperial/ucl/oxbridge.

Did you study by yourself? Did you get tutors? Was it expensive supporting youself for a year? Who determined predicted grades for your ucas application? Did you use a new personal Statement? Did you feel it was harder or did you have any disadvantage? Since you got amazing offers from imperial and kings, do you think there was anything specific you did the second time round that affected getting offers?

Sorry, thats a lot of questions haha. Thank you so much in advance!!
Reply 3
Original post by updown14
Can you share a bit more about you experience because I'm considering doing mine again and applying to places like imperial/ucl/oxbridge.

Did you study by yourself? Did you get tutors? Was it expensive supporting youself for a year? Who determined predicted grades for your ucas application? Did you use a new personal Statement? Did you feel it was harder or did you have any disadvantage? Since you got amazing offers from imperial and kings, do you think there was anything specific you did the second time round that affected getting offers?

Sorry, thats a lot of questions haha. Thank you so much in advance!!

no need to apologise at all im more than happy to answer any questions you have!

i was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to retake my alevels for free at my secondary school's sixth form so because of this i had my teachers who helped me with my predicted grades and my references for my UCAS application. however i do have friends who entered as private candidates and went to tuitions and they said it was perfectly fine, but it is quite pricey. they had to do predicted grades exams at private centres which i think you also have to pay for and asked teachers from our old sixth form to write their references. i did end up writing a new personal statement but that was only because i was applying to a different course this year but you can use the same personal statement, some of my friends did and they got their offers, but i would recommend maybe switching it up a bit or starting from scratch. i definitely found my re-takes quite easier than last year because i already knew the content (despite having to change exam boards due to my change of school) so basically all i needed to do was just do practise questions until i perfected my knowledge and go back over things i wasn't so sure on. i definitely think that my predicted grades were a massive factor that allowed me to get those offers and i think my personal statement definitely made me stand out.

i hope this helped and if you have any more questions im here to answer :smile:
Original post by lana.xo
no need to apologise at all im more than happy to answer any questions you have!

i was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to retake my alevels for free at my secondary school's sixth form so because of this i had my teachers who helped me with my predicted grades and my references for my UCAS application. however i do have friends who entered as private candidates and went to tuitions and they said it was perfectly fine, but it is quite pricey. they had to do predicted grades exams at private centres which i think you also have to pay for and asked teachers from our old sixth form to write their references. i did end up writing a new personal statement but that was only because i was applying to a different course this year but you can use the same personal statement, some of my friends did and they got their offers, but i would recommend maybe switching it up a bit or starting from scratch. i definitely found my re-takes quite easier than last year because i already knew the content (despite having to change exam boards due to my change of school) so basically all i needed to do was just do practise questions until i perfected my knowledge and go back over things i wasn't so sure on. i definitely think that my predicted grades were a massive factor that allowed me to get those offers and i think my personal statement definitely made me stand out.

i hope this helped and if you have any more questions im here to answer :smile:

Thanks Lana - I may be wrong but it sounds like you resat them once, not twice, is that correct?
Reply 5
Thanks Lana - I may be wrong but it sounds like you resat them once, not twice, is that correct?

yes ive only re-sat my alevels once. last year i did chemistry maths and philosophy, this year i did chemistry maths and biology

(ah ive just realised this post is for re-sitting twice sorryyy)
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi!! i started my a-levels in Jan and will be doing mine in 2025 still :smile:. hope that doesn’t matter and im sure re sitting twice is okay. what grades did you get if you dont mind me asking? or how about change the subjects?
what would u like to do after a-levels?
Original post by lana.xo
yes ive only re-sat my alevels once. last year i did chemistry maths and philosophy, this year i did chemistry maths and biology

(ah ive just realised this post is for re-sitting twice sorryyy)

No problem - your advice to the other person is very valuable!
Original post by alevelstudent090
Hi!! i started my a-levels in Jan and will be doing mine in 2025 still :smile:. hope that doesn’t matter and im sure re sitting twice is okay. what grades did you get if you dont mind me asking? or how about change the subjects?
what would u like to do after a-levels?

B in history, C in maths, D in physics. Apply to university for engineering (probably).
Reply 9
B in history, C in maths, D in physics. Apply to university for engineering (probably).

Those grades are good enough to start Mech Eng at Oxford Brookes - why not at least look at it? Resitting twice is not a great idea

what grades do you need? why don’t you just re take physics?
Original post by Muttley79
Those grades are good enough to start Mech Eng at Oxford Brookes - why not at least look at it? Resitting twice is not a great idea

Thanks. It's not for me and there are other factors here (a reason to stay within a certain geographical area) but that is good to know - Oxford Brookes is a great institution.
(edited 8 months ago)
Thanks. It's not for me and there are other factors here (a reason to stay within a certain geographical area) but that is good to know - Oxford Brookes is a great institution.

Have you checked clearing in the area you will consider?
Original post by Muttley79
Have you checked clearing in the area you will consider?

Yes. But thank you so much for the Oxford Brookes tip - it is feasible!
Literally in a similar predicament, I repeated an AS year because I changed an A level then now I failed by getting 3D’s & I did get an offer however in the big picture like for internships they would want B’s ideally so I’m considering resitting aswell privately. Only thing stopping me from repeating is when I get my A level results I would be 20 and I’d be 2 years behind from some ppl but at the same time I should be grateful as there are ppl who are in worse positions! I’m aiming for a degree apprenticeship aswell so idk if resitting is more feasible 😭

Hi @MairéadFlorence,

It's great to hear see that @Muttley79 has recommended Mechanical Engineering at Oxford Brookes University! It does seem that you should meet the requirements. Please feel free to give us a call on the Clearing line today so that we can make you an offer.

Best regards,
Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest