The Student Room Group

overwhelmed with hw

hi, I have been on my holidays and now that i only have about 2 weeks left, it has just hit me how much work I have and I dont have enough time to complete it in. I know i should just start and complete as much as I can, but everytime I try , I get distracted and I am a really big procrastinator.
I dont know what to do and how to force myself to get it done because every time I sit down, I will do something random like clean up the house to not have to do my work (its that bad )
any ideas ? thank you x
that is a big challenge you will need to overcome on your own. there are techniques that can help you , but overall only you and you alone can change yourself and must make yourself focus. however here are some tips;
- put phone in other room
- put on rain or nature sounds in the background instead of music (helped me)
- use pomodoro technique, and start with it being short , eg for 10 mins, then quickly make the time higher and higher, until u find u start procrastinating, then u will know where the sweet spot is . stick with that until u feel u can do higher

but overall, you will need to learn how to be focused
Reply 2
Original post by PenguinLover560
that is a big challenge you will need to overcome on your own. there are techniques that can help you , but overall only you and you alone can change yourself and must make yourself focus. however here are some tips;
- put phone in other room
- put on rain or nature sounds in the background instead of music (helped me)
- use pomodoro technique, and start with it being short , eg for 10 mins, then quickly make the time higher and higher, until u find u start procrastinating, then u will know where the sweet spot is . stick with that until u feel u can do higher

but overall, you will need to learn how to be focused

thank you! I think me being on here instead of my open tab with my coursework is evidence enough that I need to try these
Original post by Anonymous
thank you! I think me being on here instead of my open tab with my coursework is evidence enough that I need to try these

these arent golden tips to magically cure your procrastination overnight, you will need to work to improve it. treat it like a mental disease and use studying as your medicine to cure it
Original post by Anonymous
hi, I have been on my holidays and now that i only have about 2 weeks left, it has just hit me how much work I have and I dont have enough time to complete it in. I know i should just start and complete as much as I can, but everytime I try , I get distracted and I am a really big procrastinator.
I dont know what to do and how to force myself to get it done because every time I sit down, I will do something random like clean up the house to not have to do my work (its that bad )
any ideas ? thank you x

Hi there!

Procrastination can definitely be a difficult thing to combat. I've struggled with it before so my pieces of advice would be to have a reward system in place. For example, you get to have screen time only if you complete about ten minutes of work (I say ten minutes as it's best to start small). Then work your way up.
I would also advise that you make a list of the work you have to do, pick the smallest and easiest task, then do that first. I usually find that if I do a small piece of work, that I then feel motivated to do another bit then another bit. Sometimes also having every task written out in front of you can help break it down and make it seem a lot less daunting to tackle.

I hope these ideas helped!:smile:

Emily
First Year Creative Writing Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending