The Student Room Group

is anyone else sad about results day?

I’ve been really down in the dumps since results day. I was predicted 3 As in my a level and was on track to going to a really good university however I came out with **** results and I have to go to a **** university. I’m trying my hardest to think of all the positives and how grateful I am to even go to university but I just feel like a massive failure. this was supposed to be my chance to better myself because I’ve always been known to be the 'stupid one' in a way. is anyone feeling the same?
Original post by asb2003
I’ve been really down in the dumps since results day. I was predicted 3 As in my a level and was on track to going to a really good university however I came out with **** results and I have to go to a **** university. I’m trying my hardest to think of all the positives and how grateful I am to even go to university but I just feel like a massive failure. this was supposed to be my chance to better myself because I’ve always been known to be the 'stupid one' in a way. is anyone feeling the same?

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way, and it's completely understandable to have a range of emotions after receiving results that are different from what you expected. It's important to remember that your worth is not solely determined by exam results or the university you attend. Your journey is unique, and setbacks are a natural part of life.

Here are a few things to consider as you navigate through this challenging time:

It's Okay to Feel Disappointed: It's normal to feel disappointed when things don't go as planned. Give yourself permission to feel those emotions without judgment.
You're Not Alone: Many students go through similar experiences and feelings. You're not the only one facing setbacks, and there's a community of people who understand and can offer support.
Challenge Negative Self-Talk: It's common to have negative thoughts after such situations, but try to challenge those thoughts. You are not defined by your exam results, and one setback doesn't determine your entire future.
Seek Support: Reach out to friends, family, or a counsellor who can provide a listening ear and offer perspective. Sometimes talking about your feelings can help alleviate some of the emotional weight you're carrying.
Focus on the Present: While your plans might have changed, remember that university is still an opportunity for growth, learning, and meeting new people. Embrace the experience and make the most of it.
Set Realistic Expectations: Going to a different university doesn't mean you can't achieve your goals. Success is a journey and sometimes unexpected turns can lead to wonderful opportunities.
Embrace Your Strengths: Reflect on your strengths, talents, and passions outside of academics. Your worth is not solely tied to your academic performance.
Keep Your Goals in Sight: If you have specific career aspirations, remember that your goals can be achieved through determination, hard work, and perseverance.
Stay Open-Minded: You might discover new interests, make meaningful connections, and have experiences that you hadn't anticipated at your new university.
Practice Self-Compassion: Treat yourself with the same kindness and understanding that you would offer a friend facing a similar situation.

When I got my A-level results they weren't what I had originally been hoping for. It's okay to be disappointed but don't let it define you. I personally tried to use it as an opportunity for resilience.

-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
i’m in the same situation it rlly sucks i haven’t left my room properly since lol i’m so ashamed i ever had hope

Quick Reply

Latest