The Student Room Group

alchohol

hello :smile: so i'm about to be 16 and ive barely ever had alchohol. i had one tiny bit of vodka (not even half a shot) and a couple of sips of wine/beer in my life. all my friends have either been drunk or been close.

i really want to be able to go out and party when i'm 16/17 and drink and not be terrified because i haven't drunk before.

btw before everyone says "you're so young it'll ruin ur body don't start drinking yet" i know!!!!! i just don't wanna be left out and i do wanna get drunk once at least before i turn 18

anyway the question i have is what can i start drinking to get my body used to alchohol? like wine or beer or cider etc? and how much should i drink per week or two? also if i did go out somewhere and drink when is my limit?

thank you!
Reply 1
I'm 22 and I've never been drunk in my life. Of course, I drank alcohol, but I don't see the point of "wanting" to get drunk. Did you watch movies?
Reply 2
Original post by annabelle16
hello :smile: so i'm about to be 16 and ive barely ever had alchohol. i had one tiny bit of vodka (not even half a shot) and a couple of sips of wine/beer in my life. all my friends have either been drunk or been close.

i really want to be able to go out and party when i'm 16/17 and drink and not be terrified because i haven't drunk before.

btw before everyone says "you're so young it'll ruin ur body don't start drinking yet" i know!!!!! i just don't wanna be left out and i do wanna get drunk once at least before i turn 18

anyway the question i have is what can i start drinking to get my body used to alchohol? like wine or beer or cider etc? and how much should i drink per week or two? also if i did go out somewhere and drink when is my limit?

thank you!

No worries about experimenting with alcohol, that's what kids do!

Do your parents allow you to drink? Some do and some dont. If they do, then just have some wine with them when out for dinner next time. Or at home maybe?

If you have a sister.brother then maybe go out with them and have some wine at a meal? That's perfectly legal btw.

Alternatively, just have a few cans of cider when youre over with friends next time? they wont judge you for not having tried before trust me.
Make sure you can stay over or something as you dont want to be on public transport, drunk for the first time as a 16 year old girl, its not safe.
Reply 3

thank you!

Why do you need to drink to have a good time? I love a drink but tend to stop after 2 or 3 drinks as that is the point that I really enjoy and anything over that is just about losing control which I find horrendous. So if you do drink, go for long drinks (one shot with mixers) or go for weak drinks like beer. Avoid shots like the plague as the point at which you start to feel the effects is usually the point when you have over done it.

It is also worth knowing what the equivalent volumes of drink equate to. Roughly speaking:
Half a pint of 4% beer = 1 small glass (125ml) of wine = 1 shot (25ml) of 40% spirit like vodka.

One pint of beer is around 2 units. Most wine is sold at 175ml or 250ml measures = 2-3 units and a slug of vodka poured by hand might easily be 2 or more units.

I would define myself as drunk after 4 pints (8 units).
(edited 8 months ago)
Just me but I'd start on cider, like an actual one like Friels, not one with 'White' 'Frosty or 'Wrecker!' in the name. For starting off I wouldn't get any more than 1litre/3 small cans maybe and enjoy it over a good few glasses well chilled. You could prob increase/double that intake with a bit of practice and body tolerance

Mixed drinks/Alcopops might go down a little easier for a newb, but tend to get you in trouble/too drunk/badly hungover quicker. Beers & Wines can be more of an acquired taste with more chances of sitting really heavy in your guts and chucking up if you don't take to it. Fortified wines are deadly.- MD2020, Eldorado, Buckfast avoid all of these, apart from Thunderbird.
Reply 5
Original post by Lurob
Beers won't prepare you for anything. If you wanna start with wine, you should be able to drink at least 1l of 10% wine before partying. You will know your limit when you feel little stomach pain.

ah i will remember the stomach pain, and thank you !!
Reply 6
Original post by adaliedn
I'm 22 and I've never been drunk in my life. Of course, I drank alcohol, but I don't see the point of "wanting" to get drunk. Did you watch movies?

really? thats interesting! yeah i guess, this mainly started because i was at a wedding and my cousins were all asking if i wanted a drink or wanted to do shots with them and i was close to saying yes because i look up to them a lot but i know i havent tried it before so it would have been dangerous
Reply 7
Original post by Zürich
No worries about experimenting with alcohol, that's what kids do!

Do your parents allow you to drink? Some do and some dont. If they do, then just have some wine with them when out for dinner next time. Or at home maybe?

If you have a sister.brother then maybe go out with them and have some wine at a meal? That's perfectly legal btw.

Alternatively, just have a few cans of cider when youre over with friends next time? they wont judge you for not having tried before trust me.
Make sure you can stay over or something as you dont want to be on public transport, drunk for the first time as a 16 year old girl, its not safe.

thank you :smile:
my parents are kind of 50/50 like they wouldnt offer me a drink but if i asked they probably wouldnt mind
i am going away with my friend tmr and was thinking of having something ?
thank you yeah ill make sure my first party i am safe afterwards!
Reply 8
Original post by hotpud
Why do you need to drink to have a good time? I love a drink but tend to stop after 2 or 3 drinks as that is the point that I really enjoy and anything over that is just about losing control which I find horrendous. So if you do drink, go for long drinks (one shot with mixers) or go for weak drinks like beer. Avoid shots like the plague as the point at which you start to feel the effects is usually the point when you have over done it.

It is also worth knowing what the equivalent volumes of drink equate to. Roughly speaking:
Half a pint of 4% beer = 1 small glass (125ml) of wine = 1 shot (25ml) of 40% spirit like vodka.

One pint of beer is around 2 units. Most wine is sold at 175ml or 250ml measures = 2-3 units and a slug of vodka poured by hand might easily be 2 or more units.

I would define myself as drunk after 4 pints (8 units).

yeah i deffo dont want to overdo it (especially at first) and end up losing all my sense!
ah thats good to know thank you!
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
Just me but I'd start on cider, like an actual one like Friels, not one with 'White' 'Frosty or 'Wrecker!' in the name. For starting off I wouldn't get any more than 1litre/3 small cans maybe and enjoy it over a good few glasses well chilled. You could prob increase/double that intake with a bit of practice and body tolerance

Mixed drinks/Alcopops might go down a little easier for a newb, but tend to get you in trouble/too drunk/badly hungover quicker. Beers & Wines can be more of an acquired taste with more chances of sitting really heavy in your guts and chucking up if you don't take to it. Fortified wines are deadly.- MD2020, Eldorado, Buckfast avoid all of these, apart from Thunderbird.

wdym 'go down easier'?
yeah im not too keen on the taste of wine and beer tbh
i will look out for those names thank you :smile:
wdym 'go down easier'?
yeah im not too keen on the taste of wine and beer tbh
i will look out for those names thank you :smile:

For most mixed drinks (like Vodka/Rum & Coke/Redbull/whatever) and alcopops in the same way (Hooch, Red Square, 4Loco) the taste of alcohol is heavily masked by sugar/sweeteners (and chilling), so you can get the drink down/drank without any gagging against the alcohol easier as a newb. The downside is that sugar and often caffeine overdose will bite you the next day badly by making any 'hangover' far worse and that sugar high can trick you into feeling more sober than you are.

'Friels' was just a random make of nice cider, but there's plenty of nice ones out there to try, but I'd deffo recommend cider as a starter drink and that's how I got used to it - but seriously, avoid the bulk/dodgy white ciders like White Lightning/Frosty Jacks etc, they're all mind poison (although I'm showing my age here, a lot of those ciders got kinda phased out in the 00's over brand/image issues)

I'd finish by saying I obv like a drink, I've had my wild years - but always treat it with some respect and never look to it to solve your problems or simple boredom. The older you get the more you will be aware of the almost infectious damage it causes some people.
Reply 11
Original post by StriderHort
For most mixed drinks (like Vodka/Rum & Coke/Redbull/whatever) and alcopops in the same way (Hooch, Red Square, 4Loco) the taste of alcohol is heavily masked by sugar/sweeteners (and chilling), so you can get the drink down/drank without any gagging against the alcohol easier as a newb. The downside is that sugar and often caffeine overdose will bite you the next day badly by making any 'hangover' far worse and that sugar high can trick you into feeling more sober than you are.

'Friels' was just a random make of nice cider, but there's plenty of nice ones out there to try, but I'd deffo recommend cider as a starter drink and that's how I got used to it - but seriously, avoid the bulk/dodgy white ciders like White Lightning/Frosty Jacks etc, they're all mind poison (although I'm showing my age here, a lot of those ciders got kinda phased out in the 00's over brand/image issues)

I'd finish by saying I obv like a drink, I've had my wild years - but always treat it with some respect and never look to it to solve your problems or simple boredom. The older you get the more you will be aware of the almost infectious damage it causes some people.

thank you sm! yes ofc i will be careful!
For curious teenagers like you, I think it's important to experience what it's like drunk because it will scare you into not doing it again.
Lol coming from a 21 year old. There's been that one time that just scared me and now I know my limit and can enjoy drinking with my friends in a casual setting or at a party.
Vodka is lethal lol. Just be careful. And drink with people you trust and you know that you're going to be safe with Xxxx
I would recommend Soju! Most bottles are around 12% alc, which for someone who's never really drank before, I believe, is a reasonable percentage. A bottle usually gets me really tipsy but not "drunk" per se, so, for me, that's just about enough. I would definitely say it's better to have it in moderation (pouring it into a shot glass for example) though, for your first time. All in all, for me, the important thing in drinking is knowing your limit. Don't drink recklessly, and always make sure that you're with people you trust. And really, try not to make it a habit :" stay safe x
i'm glad you rejected the drinks from your cousins. a moment of fun isn't worth it

you could attend parties without drinking :smile:

to not feel left out, you could do social activities that don't involve alcohol :smile:
there are older people who regret years of their lifetime recovering from drinking

yes, i am trying to dissuade you from drinking because i care about your health

there are better role models than drinkers
Original post by Anonymous
i'm glad you rejected the drinks from your cousins. a moment of fun isn't worth it

to not feel left out, you could do social activities that don't involve alcohol :smile:
there are older people who regret years of their lifetime recovering from drinking

tbf they asked for advice on responsible drinking, not other peoples (strong) opinions about alcohol

If people try and responsibly seek harm prevention advice but just get stonewalled by abrupt 'do not drink!' opinions, then they are surely all the more likely to make the sort of regretful choices you refer to?
Reply 16
For curious teenagers like you, I think it's important to experience what it's like drunk because it will scare you into not doing it again.
Lol coming from a 21 year old. There's been that one time that just scared me and now I know my limit and can enjoy drinking with my friends in a casual setting or at a party.
Vodka is lethal lol. Just be careful. And drink with people you trust and you know that you're going to be safe with Xxxx

thank youuuu, yeah i feel like i need to experience it safely first before i end up in a situation im not familiar with!
Reply 17
I would recommend Soju! Most bottles are around 12% alc, which for someone who's never really drank before, I believe, is a reasonable percentage. A bottle usually gets me really tipsy but not "drunk" per se, so, for me, that's just about enough. I would definitely say it's better to have it in moderation (pouring it into a shot glass for example) though, for your first time. All in all, for me, the important thing in drinking is knowing your limit. Don't drink recklessly, and always make sure that you're with people you trust. And really, try not to make it a habit :" stay safe x

thank you sm :smile:
Reply 18

ur not wrong tbf haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending