The Student Room Group

Gonna start Uni...

ANY tips would be appreciated :smile:

(studying Geography)
Hey @meli77

Congratulations on your place at university!

I would say make sure you only pack the things you're really going to need. Don't take clothes that you aren't definitely going to wear- remember that if you've got a shared kitchen and bathroom, the only personal space you've really got is your room, which might not have that much storage space. A couple of things that I found really useful in first year though were command strips and an extension lead, which really helped me set my room up properly.

It's also important that you take some time to yourself during the first term. You're likely to be really busy, and first year is very sociable, which is great, but don't feel guilty about having a quiet night in once in a while- you don't want to burn out!

Striking a balance between going home enough, but also making the most of university life can be tricky too. It'll depend on how close you live to uni, but generally people settle in much quicker if they don't go home every weekend at the beginning of the year. I didn't go home at all between Freshers and Christmas when I started, which helped me get used to uni life, but with hindsight it would have been good to go home at least once that term to break things up a bit.

I hope you have the best time at uni!!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by meli77
ANY tips would be appreciated :smile:

(studying Geography)

Hey @meli77,

Congratulations on going to uni to study Geography.

1. Be organised. There will be lots of dates and things you'll want to do and remeber so having a diary/planner either physical or digital is a great idea to keep on top of everything and keep track.
2. Get involved in freshers/induction events. This is a good opportunity to get some freebies, see what your uni has to offer and also get involved in taster sessions for societies and sports clubs.
3. Don't be afraid to get to know others in your accomodation and classes etc. Sometimes it can be a bit nerve racking to introduce yourself/say hi but making the first step and being friendly can make a difference and help form friendships.
4. Try and go to every class you can. Skipping classes is not a habit you want to have and they do matter for both knowledge and social reasons
5. Take breaks and do things you enjoy. Try not to let yourself be consumed and bogged time from uni and give yourself time to rest and relax. Finding a balance may take time.
6. There will be times that uni will be challenging and know that it is okay to make mistakes - just learn from them. Reach out and communicate with your uni if things get too tough. Take any and all feedback that is offered.

Most importantly, enjoy being a student and hope you have a great time studying at uni!
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending