The Student Room Group

Korean military service and Uni

I'm a Korean guy. I have to serve military for year and a half. Most of Korean male have to take this step. I'm planning to go to military service before Uni because I don't want to break the flow. For instance, if I go in the middle of uni obv I'm gonna miss the flow. If I go after I graduate I might get bullied in the military cuz of the age gap. If I get to go to military before Uni, when should I apply to the uni? or When do you think it is the right timing for me to go to Military? Please share your thoughts. (I'm currently year 12 A-level student)
Original post by tryingtobebetter
I'm a Korean guy. I have to serve military for year and a half. Most of Korean male have to take this step. I'm planning to go to military service before Uni because I don't want to break the flow. For instance, if I go in the middle of uni obv I'm gonna miss the flow. If I go after I graduate I might get bullied in the military cuz of the age gap. If I get to go to military before Uni, when should I apply to the uni? or When do you think it is the right timing for me to go to Military? Please share your thoughts. (I'm currently year 12 A-level student)

Seems a pretty standard solution to do military service first, before uni. In the UK, delaying starting a graduate role for military service is not well understood, though it might be quite normal in SK, so it depends a little where you are thinking of starting your career. However, I don't think you would be bullied in the military because of the age gap, adults don't make as much out of age differences as schoolchildren do, and 3 years is nothing to adults.

If you are applying to Uni in the UK, you have to apply circa the Sep/Oct of the year before you want to start Uni, through UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest