The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Uni help: studying at Nottingham or London?

Hi everyone

I’ve got two clearing offers that I need to decide on by tomorrow and im really stuck, one for Philosophy at Nottingham uni and one for joint Anthropology and World Philosophy at SOAS

Idk if I count as a mature student but I’m restarting uni at 20 bc I realised that I hated engineering lmao

I’ve spoken to some friends about it and everyone is saying different stuff

I don’t know much about nottingham as a university but it seems to have a reputation for ppl just partying a lot at the same rotation of 7 clubs in first year, hooking up a lot and doing lots of drugs. I don’t know how true this stereotype is tho. I spoke to my friend’s bf and he said that the uni is like 80% white and that all POC pretty much just live in SPC in first year, he doesn’t know many mature students and he didn’t come across a single queer person in his three years there nor did he know much about like queer events/spaces. I’m mixed (Asian and South American) and queer so diversity is really important to me personally. Maybe his experience isn’t representative of the whole uni experience as it’s a big uni but it’s put me off a lot tbh

I am leaning more towards SOAS bc I prefer the course and have a lot of friends in the city but I’ve been in London for the last three years now and it’s really expensive, and nottingham is ranked a lot higher. I don’t know if it would be silly to pass up going to a Russell Group based off of vibes. So I am really stuck tbh

I’m only going to either of these unis for a year as I’m transferring to Uni of Barcelona after first year anyway (it’s easier for them to accept u with a completed first year and put u directly in second year rather than applying w A levels bc of brexit)

Any input would be helpful and any students at nottingham who are able to give me some insight on their experiences at the uni, esp regarding diversity would be really appreciated <3
Nottingham is a great university, im a black guy and would say there are more white ppl than any other race but idk ive never felt out of place its and i didnt stay in SPC in my first year. it is for the most part a rotation between 7 clubs or so, idk but the drugs part but look at any uni ppl will be using drugs but you cant find any kind of person in notts. and forget about the russell group label and go to the uni u feel like you want to.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I just finished my first year at Notts, going into second year.

The stereotype about people partying entirely depends on who you become friends with. For example, my friend group only went out once per week and only at weekends - we did not take part in hookups or hard drugs, just alcohol. Some others I know never went out (or very very rarely), whereas some people on my corridor were going out several times every week.

I lived in Rutland Hall and there were quite a few POC and LGBT people in my social circle - again I think this also depends on who you become friends with. I can't speak for other halls though as I had little contact with the others - I definitely don't think POC only live in SPC though. There are also societies for various LGBT groups and for different nationalities, check the societies page on the UoNSU website.

I would highly recommend Nottingham and I think a lot of what you mentioned comes down to who you befriend - find the right people. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by tinnedmackerel
I just finished my first year at Notts, going into second year.
The stereotype about people partying entirely depends on who you become friends with. For example, my friend group only went out once per week and only at weekends - we did not take part in hookups or hard drugs, just alcohol. Some others I know never went out (or very very rarely), whereas some people on my corridor were going out several times every week.
I lived in Rutland Hall and there were quite a few POC and LGBT people in my social circle - again I think this also depends on who you become friends with. I can't speak for other halls though as I had little contact with the others - I definitely don't think POC only live in SPC though. There are also societies for various LGBT groups and for different nationalities, check the societies page on the UoNSU website.
I would highly recommend Nottingham and I think a lot of what you mentioned comes down to who you befriend - find the right people. :smile:
Hi! Im hoping to go to nottingham trent and i was wondering if the same applies there?
i love the uni but when i look at pictures online or at the open day, there is barely any diversity so im worried im making the wrong choice. having POC and queer communities is important to me
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! Im hoping to go to nottingham trent and i was wondering if the same applies there?
i love the uni but when i look at pictures online or at the open day, there is barely any diversity so im worried im making the wrong choice. having POC and queer communities is important to me

I don't know about Trent because I've never been there, sorry. Not sure what the diversity of their campus and accommodation is like ☹️

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending