The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Reviews on Uni of Nottingham

I need current students' reviews on student life in notts pls :smile:
it's one of my top choices along with uni of bath.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! Currently first year law student at the University of Nottingham.

Firstly I would say the majority of students are from London. Perhaps this is not statistically correct on the whole, but 80% of people I've met or talked to are from London. Many of them move to the midlands for the lower costs, etc. This may not influence your opinion one way or another but I think if I knew it was mostly people from London I wouldn't have applied there.

There's a very active nightlife, there's a lot of clubs and pubs and it's renowned for being very nightlife-centred. So it depends if this is something you're looking for in your experience or not, of course there's no obligation to take part in this, but the majority of people you meet may be looking for this lifestyle. Drinks and club entry are average priced. Entry to a club is around £6.50-£8.00.

Accommodation can be quite expensive depending on where you go. Accommodation also gets booked up really soon, I think most were sold out by may/june last year when I got around to replying and I ended up in quite expensive off-campus halls so I wouldn't recommend that. Most people stay on-campus but all on-campus halls are catered. Self-catered are all off-campus, albeit some very close to campus.

This will depend on the subject you do but I'm not the greatest fan of my lecturers. A lot of them just read off of a powerpoint for an hour and call it a lecture. I have one decent lecturer out of my 4 modules, and he is amazing, but the rest aren't so much. There's a lot of foreign teaching staff as well, not sure if this would influence your opinion one way or another, but personally my personal tutor and I have a bit of a language barrier in regards to communication because of this.

The city centre is nice, but a bit away from the uni if you're living on campus. Where I live is quite ideal as it's directly between both the uni and the city centre but if you're planning to live closer to the uni or on campus, it makes going out into the city a whole issue.

Personally I'd say a lot of the people I've met have been nice and friendly, haven't had many bad experiences. Just a lot of people come from London and have already came with their friend group from school, I ended up with only 2 out of my 6 flatmates not already coming to uni with an established friend group (hence being uninterested in making friends) but I don't think this is the general experience as I don't know anyone else this happened to, even within the same accommodation.

Notts is nice enough, there's a fair bit to do and there's often fairs, etc. There's a 24/7 library on each campus which starts in about October that's very handy.

I'm not sure what else I would think is worth saying, but if there's anything you'd want to know specifically please ask and I'd be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Qrki
Hey! Currently first year law student at the University of Nottingham.

Firstly I would say the majority of students are from London. Perhaps this is not statistically correct on the whole, but 80% of people I've met or talked to are from London. Many of them move to the midlands for the lower costs, etc. This may not influence your opinion one way or another but I think if I knew it was mostly people from London I wouldn't have applied there.

There's a very active nightlife, there's a lot of clubs and pubs and it's renowned for being very nightlife-centred. So it depends if this is something you're looking for in your experience or not, of course there's no obligation to take part in this, but the majority of people you meet may be looking for this lifestyle. Drinks and club entry are average priced. Entry to a club is around £6.50-£8.00.

Accommodation can be quite expensive depending on where you go. Accommodation also gets booked up really soon, I think most were sold out by may/june last year when I got around to replying and I ended up in quite expensive off-campus halls so I wouldn't recommend that. Most people stay on-campus but all on-campus halls are catered. Self-catered are all off-campus, albeit some very close to campus.

This will depend on the subject you do but I'm not the greatest fan of my lecturers. A lot of them just read off of a powerpoint for an hour and call it a lecture. I have one decent lecturer out of my 4 modules, and he is amazing, but the rest aren't so much. There's a lot of foreign teaching staff as well, not sure if this would influence your opinion one way or another, but personally my personal tutor and I have a bit of a language barrier in regards to communication because of this.

The city centre is nice, but a bit away from the uni if you're living on campus. Where I live is quite ideal as it's directly between both the uni and the city centre but if you're planning to live closer to the uni or on campus, it makes going out into the city a whole issue.

Personally I'd say a lot of the people I've met have been nice and friendly, haven't had many bad experiences. Just a lot of people come from London and have already came with their friend group from school, I ended up with only 2 out of my 6 flatmates not already coming to uni with an established friend group (hence being uninterested in making friends) but I don't think this is the general experience as I don't know anyone else this happened to, even within the same accommodation.

Notts is nice enough, there's a fair bit to do and there's often fairs, etc. There's a 24/7 library on each campus which starts in about October that's very handy.

I'm not sure what else I would think is worth saying, but if there's anything you'd want to know specifically please ask and I'd be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.

Thank you sooo much for the detailed review!
I'm applying for business management. Hoping it's good :smile:
Also, some students pointed out that Notts had gone down in rankings which kinda upset me so i wanted to get some more reviews from current students.

Again, thanks a lot!! <3
Reply 3
Original post by tobeeoh
Thank you sooo much for the detailed review!
I'm applying for business management. Hoping it's good :smile:
Also, some students pointed out that Notts had gone down in rankings which kinda upset me so i wanted to get some more reviews from current students.

Again, thanks a lot!! <3

Unfortunately I don't know anyone doing business management so I can't help you there! Looking at the modules and content you will be studying on the UON website will give you a good idea of the content, though.

Yeah, honestly Notts is falling in the rankings for some courses, but it depends on what course specifically so it's worth googling where they stand for business management directly rather than overall.
Hi

I'm a third year maths student at University of Nottingham.

I absolutely love it here. My course is interesting with supportive lecturers who always provide their available office hours for support outside of lectures. I also have workshops and problem classes designed to give further support where PostGrad students also get involved. The libraries are

Campus is lovely and green with lots of thing to do in the summer (Rowing on the lake for £5, Mini golf, walks) as well as things all year round such as going to the bars, Mooch where there's live music and quiz nights, etc. Campus also feels super safe and friendly with plenty of people around.

There's really good transport links into Nottingham City Centre- trams every 5 ish mins which take 20 mins to get into the city or NCT buses which take around 15/20 mins too. The city centre is diverse and buzzing with lots of cool places to eat, go for coffees or a few drinks.

Any other questions then please ask!
Reply 5
Original post by LibertyoLee99
Hi

I'm a third year maths student at University of Nottingham.

I absolutely love it here. My course is interesting with supportive lecturers who always provide their available office hours for support outside of lectures. I also have workshops and problem classes designed to give further support where PostGrad students also get involved. The libraries are

Campus is lovely and green with lots of thing to do in the summer (Rowing on the lake for £5, Mini golf, walks) as well as things all year round such as going to the bars, Mooch where there's live music and quiz nights, etc. Campus also feels super safe and friendly with plenty of people around.

There's really good transport links into Nottingham City Centre- trams every 5 ish mins which take 20 mins to get into the city or NCT buses which take around 15/20 mins too. The city centre is diverse and buzzing with lots of cool places to eat, go for coffees or a few drinks.

Any other questions then please ask!

Thank you for your review!! I hope i get an offer from them :h:
Reply 6
oh ok i just got an offer from notts lmaooo thank u guys!!
Reply 7
congrats!
Original post by tobeeoh

Both are great universities, I loved my time at Notts.

I do believe university is about making the most of it, academically, careers, societies, and uni-life wise. You'll get out of it what you put into it, but Notts has everything you need to have a great experience, make some valuable connections and look back on 3/4 great years.

Nottingham & Bath are rather different cities, Nottingham is a lot larger (and the uni is a lot larger both campus & student population). Notts is in the east midlands, Bath is south-West.
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
Both are great universities, I loved my time at Notts.

I do believe university is about making the most of it, academically, careers, societies, and uni-life wise. You'll get out of it what you put into it, but Notts has everything you need to have a great experience, make some valuable connections and look back on 3/4 great years.

Nottingham & Bath are rather different cities, Nottingham is a lot larger (and the uni is a lot larger both campus & student population). Notts is in the east midlands, Bath is south-West.

I've got my offer :h: waiting for bath.. hehe

can u pls let me know about transport and related info? like...bus card and stuff cuz idk how things are in the uk. google doesnt always help with the smaller details :frown:
Original post by tobeeoh
I've got my offer :h: waiting for bath.. hehe

can u pls let me know about transport and related info? like...bus card and stuff cuz idk how things are in the uk. google doesnt always help with the smaller details :frown:

The university campus is located on the West side of the city (and is very large), most students live on campus in year 1 then in Lenton years 2-3-4 (Lenton sits in between Campus and the city centre and is approximately a 15-20 minute walk into both depending where you live and where you want to get to). Transport within the city: their is a very reliable tram network, and 2 major bus companies with travel into campus or the city along the main roads, as well as the usual taxi/uber/bolt options (at pretty good rates relative to other cities).

Travel into Notts, by car most people use the M1, and their is train links to Birmingham, the north, london etc. (London to Notts is between 90min maybe a little longer depending on how many stops).
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
The university campus is located on the West side of the city (and is very large), most students live on campus in year 1 then in Lenton years 2-3-4 (Lenton sits in between Campus and the city centre and is approximately a 15-20 minute walk into both depending where you live and where you want to get to). Transport within the city: their is a very reliable tram network, and 2 major bus companies with travel into campus or the city along the main roads, as well as the usual taxi/uber/bolt options (at pretty good rates relative to other cities).

Travel into Notts, by car most people use the M1, and their is train links to Birmingham, the north, london etc. (London to Notts is between 90min maybe a little longer depending on how many stops).

oooh okaaayy.
what's the transport expense here?
Original post by tobeeoh
oooh okaaayy.
what's the transport expense here?

Single on bus / tram is a couple quid (although frankly a lot students don’t pay as enforcement of fairs is quite low), taxi is like £10 into the city but if you split that 3-4 ways its not bad at all.
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
Single on bus / tram is a couple quid (although frankly a lot students don’t pay as enforcement of fairs is quite low), taxi is like £10 into the city but if you split that 3-4 ways its not bad at all.

thank you!! these are very helpful :h:
what about diversity ? If i get an offer I might choose this as my firm !1
Original post by tobeeoh

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.

I have really enjoyed my time here (so much so I stayed for my masters).

The campus is a really nice place to study. Lots of quiet and group study areas in various libraries across campus. It is a really green space so, especially in summer, there is lots of people outside enjoying whatever sun we get having picnics or playing games etc. The sports facilities are also probably one of the best things about the campus. Not too long ago it was refurbished so there is pretty much everything you could want and more from a climbing wall, pool, sauna, pool tables, sports halls along with the gym itself. There are also so many sports clubs to get involved with which is a great way to meet people. If you don't feel like taking sport competitively then there is the IMS league for hockey, netball, badminton, football, tag rugby amongst others where you play for your hall or societies in a more friendly league.
Along with sports there are also tons of societies to join in with so whatever your interests or if you want to try something new, you can find like-minded people and it is a great way to build a social circle.

Transport in Nottingham is also super easy. The train station can get you pretty much anywhere and most trains are also direct to London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool etc. The busses that have already been mentioned are the main way I get around if it is too far to walk. They are colour coded and the app tells you what number and stop to get on and off at. The tram is also relatively cheap and a good way to get into town from campus.

The city is super student friendly as there are 2 major unis there. There are plenty of chain and independent shops, restaurants, cafes etc, all normally with some form of student discount at some point or another. The nightlife is also great. There is a club or bar night every night of the week for students only which is always nice. There are also loads of venues of all sizes for live music along with the castle, caves, mini golf, cheap student tickets cinema, bowling amongst others.

In terns of demographic each year will be different. I have found that a lot of people come from london or the surrounding areas as it is really well connected and a 'northern' uni not too far away. That being said that is certainly not the only place people will come from. I have met a lot of people from around my area in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Hull, Birmingham, along with quite a few international students. Wherever you are from or whatever background you will just naturally find your people and those you click with best.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions just ask,
Emily :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by EmilyClarke24
Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.

I have really enjoyed my time here (so much so I stayed for my masters).

The campus is a really nice place to study. Lots of quiet and group study areas in various libraries across campus. It is a really green space so, especially in summer, there is lots of people outside enjoying whatever sun we get having picnics or playing games etc. The sports facilities are also probably one of the best things about the campus. Not too long ago it was refurbished so there is pretty much everything you could want and more from a climbing wall, pool, sauna, pool tables, sports halls along with the gym itself. There are also so many sports clubs to get involved with which is a great way to meet people. If you don't feel like taking sport competitively then there is the IMS league for hockey, netball, badminton, football, tag rugby amongst others where you play for your hall or societies in a more friendly league.
Along with sports there are also tons of societies to join in with so whatever your interests or if you want to try something new, you can find like-minded people and it is a great way to build a social circle.

Transport in Nottingham is also super easy. The train station can get you pretty much anywhere and most trains are also direct to London, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool etc. The busses that have already been mentioned are the main way I get around if it is too far to walk. They are colour coded and the app tells you what number and stop to get on and off at. The tram is also relatively cheap and a good way to get into town from campus.

The city is super student friendly as there are 2 major unis there. There are plenty of chain and independent shops, restaurants, cafes etc, all normally with some form of student discount at some point or another. The nightlife is also great. There is a club or bar night every night of the week for students only which is always nice. There are also loads of venues of all sizes for live music along with the castle, caves, mini golf, cheap student tickets cinema, bowling amongst others.

In terns of demographic each year will be different. I have found that a lot of people come from london or the surrounding areas as it is really well connected and a 'northern' uni not too far away. That being said that is certainly not the only place people will come from. I have met a lot of people from around my area in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Hull, Birmingham, along with quite a few international students. Wherever you are from or whatever background you will just naturally find your people and those you click with best.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions just ask,
Emily :smile:

thanks a lottt!
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
what about diversity ? If i get an offer I might choose this as my firm !1

I would say it's a very diverse university. I come from a very non-diverse area so this is one of the things I really do enjoy in notts is how diverse it is and how many different people from different types of backgrounds there are. There's a lot of international students, and people of all sorts of gender, age, race, etc. There are also societies for a lot of cultural backgrounds so it's easy to find people you may connect with on that level. Hope that helps.
Original post by tobeeoh
oh ok i just got an offer from notts lmaooo thank u guys!!

Ah thats fantastic, well done! have you accepted? If you have any other questions let me know!
Original post by Qrki
I would say it's a very diverse university. I come from a very non-diverse area so this is one of the things I really do enjoy in notts is how diverse it is and how many different people from different types of backgrounds there are. There's a lot of international students, and people of all sorts of gender, age, race, etc. There are also societies for a lot of cultural backgrounds so it's easy to find people you may connect with on that level. Hope that helps.

This is so promising ! Im curois as to whether they have any prayer facilities or any mosques around to pray ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending