The Student Room Group

University

What should u do when on the following hours after your arrival in uni?
Original post by Amad.balde

Meet people.

Hi,
For me personally after I had unpacked and felt settled, I spent some time getting to know my new flatmates. The university then ran a welcome talk that we all attended together, as well as a social event in the evening. The next day we went for a walk round campus to explore and get used to where things were which is definitely a good thing to do before classes start! We also found out where our nearest shops were located etc.
I'd just want to add although meeting people is important, don't pressure yourself too much and make sure you take time to yourself when you need it to recharge as welcome week can be pretty hectic!
Hope this helps,
Becky (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi there !
I agree with what has already been said so far , its important to unpack and then familiarize yourself with your new surroundings such as the nearest shops and also the campus you will be attending at. I would however also advise you to find your nearest surgery and register with them so you can have access to a doctor when you need one. Luckily for DMU students our local surgery is on the edge of our campus and it just takes 5 minutes to register.
Maybe also consider finding out where the security office is and keep their number saved in your phone because you never know when you will need them or some first aid assistance. These are the boring aspects of moving in but if ever you are in a predicament , your preparation will come in handy.

Remember there is no right way and wrong way to do this , start with what feels natural and comfortable to you even if that means unpacking and taking a nap in your new bed and only figuring the rest out on your second day. Goodluck and I hope this helps !

Cece
Energy Engineering Student
De Montfort University
@Amad.balde

Great question!

Unpack your belongings and do any cleaning that you need to do. (Some areas might be a bit dusty or you might want to give some areas a wipe over with an antibacterial wipe before you put your things away.)

Begin to assess anything that you might need to buy within the next day or two before doing a major shop. What do you suddenly realise you need or would be useful? What are you planning to eat for dinner? Have you got what you need for breakfast? Make a list and head to the nearest shop. Maybe see if another housemate also needs to get some things and wants to come with you, but if not, go and get used to the area so that you know how long it takes to get to the supermarket, how big it is, and whether it is walking distance or if you need to catch a bus. You will then be able to plan better for a bigger shop.

Say hello to people as they arrive or after they have had some time to unpack. See if there are things they need to get done and tag along, or ask them if they want to go and explore the surroundings or if they want to grab a coffee or dinner. Try and include as many people as possible from your hall of residence so that you are getting to know more people and so there is less pressure on you to keep conversation going if there is a sudden lull.

If you are religious, look for your nearest or a suitable place of worship. Being with a community of people who share the same beliefs as you can help you feel at home quickly. Particularly if you plan to move in on Saturday and if you normally attend church on Sunday, then it's useful to know where a good church is (check online and check the church's website) and the time the service begins, so that you can set your alarm for the next day.

Finally, feel free to call home if you are feeling a bit strange in your new surroundings or even you have already met some people who you think you are going to be great friends with. Your family back home will be reassured to know that you are settling in : )

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 5
Pretty good advice so far, everyone is in the same boat.
Keep an eye out for anyone who seems overwhelmed

Have a couple of packets of biscuits handy as an ice breaker. Having a few tissues might be handy if someone needs one. At the risk of sounding contrived, offering a biscuit or tissue to people does your cred no harm and you’d be seen as being friendly, understanding and nice.

Exploring is good. It may well be that the people that you meet on day one and hang around with are just “people” that you nod to after week six. Few people will be besties with the first people that they meet after a year. However eyes can meet over a packet of biscuits….

Conversations in the first week are full of
Where are you from
What were your grades
Where the hell are we
Where are we supposed to be now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending