The Student Room Group

Degree questions

Hi,

I need some understanding about degree, what is difference between bachelor’s degree and honorary degree? How can you get honorary degree?
Honours degrees are designed to be at a higher level than ordinary degree programmes, hence they are valued more than the latter.

thats what google says
A bachelor (honours) degree is just your average university degree that lasts 3 years and is worth 360 credits. The vast majority of degrees are bachelor (honours). Then there is the bachelor's degree, which is either a degree shorter than three years and worth 300 credits or more commonly, someone on a bachelor (honours) degree who completed 300 or more credits, but less than 360, of his degree. It's basically an unclassified degree.

An honorary degree is one awarded to people who didn't go to university specifically for the honorary degree but who have done a lot of work on a certain field - think of any old musician who has gotten an honorary English doctorate for song-writing - or it's just a courtesy thing (I think staff at Oxford are awarded honorary Masters after three years working there?). You probably meant to ask between the two degrees I mentioned on the first paragraph? :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Scotland Yard
A bachelor (honours) degree is just your average university degree that lasts 3 years and is worth 360 credits. The vast majority of degrees are bachelor (honours). Then there is the bachelor's degree, which is either a degree shorter than three years and worth or more commonly, someone on a bachelor (honours) degree who completed 300 or more credits, but less than 360, of his degree. It's basically an unclassified degree.

An honorary degree is one awarded to people who didn't go to university specifically for the honorary degree but who have done a lot of work on a certain field - think of any old musician who has gotten an honorary English doctorate for song-writing - or it's just a courtesy thing (I think staff at Oxford are awarded honorary Masters after three years working there?). You probably meant to ask between the two degrees I mentioned on the first paragraph? :smile:

I need some degree classification as well like you talked about credits? I heard it’s First class, then second class then third class right?

also you mentioned honours next to bachelor what does it mean? Is there difference between just bachelors degree and honours bachelor degree and which one’s worth more? 😅
Original post by Zephyr0221
I need some degree classification as well like you talked about credits? I heard it’s First class, then second class then third class right?

also you mentioned honours next to bachelor what does it mean? Is there difference between just bachelors degree and honours bachelor degree and which one’s worth more? 😅

Haha I'll try to explain a little better :smile:
University degrees work on credits. You take modules, they're worth a certain number of credits. Most bachelors degree will have 360 credits. If you pass all 360 credits, you automatically have a "bachelor (honours)" degree. That's the full name! The "honours" basically means that you completed the whole thing and that the degree is classified into first, second and third class. The degree classification will be based on what grades you actually achieved on your modules.

If you for some reason fail to complete all 360 credits, your university might let you graduate anyway with a "bachelor" degree, which isn't classified and lacks the number of credits to graduate with honours. I thought I read that some degrees have less than 360 credits by design but I've just gone off trying to find one and I couldn't so I think I'm misremembering things and really ought to go to bed! But honestly, you don't need to worry about any of this, because basically: all bachelors have honours, unless you fail a part of your degree, in which case you won't have honours. Is that clearer? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Scotland Yard
Haha I'll try to explain a little better :smile:
University degrees work on credits. You take modules, they're worth a certain number of credits. Most bachelors degree will have 360 credits. If you pass all 360 credits, you automatically have a "bachelor (honours)" degree. That's the full name! The "honours" basically means that you completed the whole thing and that the degree is classified into first, second and third class. The degree classification will be based on what grades you actually achieved on your modules.

If you for some reason fail to complete all 360 credits, your university might let you graduate anyway with a "bachelor" degree, which isn't classified and lacks the number of credits to graduate with honours. I thought I read that some degrees have less than 360 credits by design but I've just gone off trying to find one and I couldn't so I think I'm misremembering things and really ought to go to bed! But honestly, you don't need to worry about any of this, because basically: all bachelors have honours, unless you fail a part of your degree, in which case you won't have honours. Is that clearer? :smile:

Yes very clear thanks 🙏

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending