The Student Room Group

House viewing, Should I go alone?

I'm 22 and female and I'm currently in talk with a landlord who I met through Open rent, I have spoke to him on phone a few times and he seems a nice and kind guy, very friendly nothing sketchy so far. We have booked a viewing later in the afternoon, just us in the house alone. My mum told me to bring my boyfriend with me even if it's just me renting the house alone, but I'm thinking of going on my own. Has anyone had any experience with meeting landlords from open rent? Are they dodgy? Should I bring my boyfriend with me? And am I allowed to bring him along even though I'm the prospective tenant?

Thanks I'm really stuck and it's in a few hours time. Advice would be appreciated.
Not a big deal but I'd prob bring someone, it avoids awkward silences and gives a 2nd pair of unbiased eyes to the viewing - anyone who said I wasn't allowed to bring another person to the viewing would be a big red flag about how they do business.

None of us here can tell you if an unspecified landlord is or isn't dodgy however
Reply 2
Agreed take someone.We have always gone with our 20 something kids as they like to get ,as Strider says ,a second opinion on things and why would landlord have a problem with that!Better safe than sorry.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Not a big deal but I'd prob bring someone, it avoids awkward silences and gives a 2nd pair of unbiased eyes to the viewing - anyone who said I wasn't allowed to bring another person to the viewing would be a big red flag about how they do business.

None of us here can tell you if an unspecified landlord is or isn't dodgy however

I've just spoken to my bf and he said he was happy to accompany me there. i've also just asked the landlord and are yet to hear from them. Thanks for taking the time to answer and for your advice though.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
Agreed take someone.We have always gone with our 20 something kids as they like to get ,as Strider says ,a second opinion on things and why would landlord have a problem with that!Better safe than sorry.

I see and Yeah. My bf is now coming with me later as he agrees it's better safe than sorry. Thanks for your input though.
Reply 5
Update. Landlord said it was fine for my bf to come with me. Thanks for all your responses.
Original post by Anonymous
i've also just asked the landlord and are yet to hear from them.

I honestly wouldn't even have asked, I'd just take it as a given it was fine to have someone with you.
You take someone for 2 reasons

1) safety - you really never do know
2) a second opinion of the house

If you don’t like the first reason, do it for the second
Reply 8
Original post by Johnny Valentine
You take someone for 2 reasons

1) safety - you really never do know
2) a second opinion of the house

If you don’t like the first reason, do it for the second

I'm going for number 1 to be honest, since my boyfriend isn't moving in and still plans to live with his family unlike me.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
I honestly wouldn't even have asked, I'd just take it as a given it was fine to have someone with you.

Allow it it's my first time in the private rent sector so I had no clue but it's been confirmed anyway that he's fine so yah
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
Allow it it's my first time in the private rent sector so I had no clue but it's been confirmed anyway that he's fine so yah

I hope it all goes well.Remember if you are not sure take your time and be ready for the' I have got another 2 people interested 'line .A lot of them just say that to get you to commit.Top tips flush the loo and run the shower or rather get him to demonstrate the shower.Check under sink and see if windows open.
Reply 11
Original post by Scotney
I hope it all goes well.Remember if you are not sure take your time and be ready for the' I have got another 2 people interested 'line .A lot of them just say that to get you to commit.Top tips flush the loo and run the shower or rather get him to demonstrate the shower.Check under sink and see if windows open.

Ok and yes I know he has another tenant that is interested along with me, he told me on the phone yesterday that he was considering between us two. Alright will try to and thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending