The Student Room Group

Cambridge: How long to find a flat for student/non-student couple?

Hi, I am very happy to have gotten a studentship to pursue a PhD at Cambridge. I come from the Netherlands, where housing shortage is extremely dire. Looking for a house can take years here. As such, I was wondering how easy it would be for me and my partner (who is older and not a student) to find an unfurnished flat for two under 1000 pounds per month/250 a week. We will probably not be able to live within college, and would prefer to move together come October. How long would it take to find adequate housing within our pricerange? Is there anything I can do now to make the process easier? I've already applied to the Accommodation Service.
Reply 1
I'm in a similar situation. Unfortunately you will almost certainly not find a flat in Cambridge for two people for that money, unless you're happy to live in some filthy studio.

I'm a mature student with an offer from Cambridge, who will also be moving to uni with a non-student partner. I am seriously considering rejecting the offer and going to uni of Leeds, purely on the grounds of living costs. With me and my partner's combined budget, we can afford a studio/substandard one-bedroom flat in Cambridge at best, or a three bedroom house with a garden in a decent area of Leeds, it is quite outrageous.
Original post by bdrcptn
Hi, I am very happy to have gotten a studentship to pursue a PhD at Cambridge. I come from the Netherlands, where housing shortage is extremely dire. Looking for a house can take years here. As such, I was wondering how easy it would be for me and my partner (who is older and not a student) to find an unfurnished flat for two under 1000 pounds per month/250 a week. We will probably not be able to live within college, and would prefer to move together come October. How long would it take to find adequate housing within our pricerange? Is there anything I can do now to make the process easier? I've already applied to the Accommodation Service.

Hi! I am a non-student and my partner is a student. We found an unfurnished flat for £975 a month last year. It's got one bedroom, a living room, a little study, a kitchen and a bathroom, and it's about a 15 minute walk from the centre of town. It took us about a month of continuous looking to find it, but we love it and plan to stay here for the entirety of my partner's degree. The market moves very quickly, so you might have to offer to rent a place before viewing it, and viewings can be hard to book. As long as you move quickly, it's fine. I will say that our flat was the cheapest one we looked at - most were over £1000 a month.
Original post by bdrcptn

Hi! I am a non-student and my partner is a student. We found an unfurnished flat for £975 a month last year. It's got one bedroom, a living room, a little study, a kitchen and a bathroom, and it's about a 15 minute walk from the centre of town. It took us about a month of continuous looking to find it, but we love it and plan to stay here for the entirety of my partner's degree. The market moves very quickly, so you might have to offer to rent a place before viewing it, and viewings can be hard to book. As long as you move quickly, it's fine. I will say that our flat was the cheapest one we looked at - most were over £1000 a month.
Original post by bdrcptn

Original post by Tom161
I'm in a similar situation. Unfortunately you will almost certainly not find a flat in Cambridge for two people for that money, unless you're happy to live in some filthy studio.

I'm a mature student with an offer from Cambridge, who will also be moving to uni with a non-student partner. I am seriously considering rejecting the offer and going to uni of Leeds, purely on the grounds of living costs. With me and my partner's combined budget, we can afford a studio/substandard one-bedroom flat in Cambridge at best, or a three bedroom house with a garden in a decent area of Leeds, it is quite outrageous.

Just remember that the bulk of student accommodation is not on the market yet. Most landlords will not start advertising until their current tenants give notice. That should start happening soon, but what you see on the market now probably is only a fraction of the stock, and therefore price/quality.
Reply 5
Thanks everyone for the advice! This is very useful to know. Are the prices on the waiting list of the Accommodation Services perhaps somewhat more affordable?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
Just remember that the bulk of student accommodation is not on the market yet. Most landlords will not start advertising until their current tenants give notice. That should start happening soon, but what you see on the market now probably is only a fraction of the stock, and therefore price/quality.

This is great to hear. I'm already seeing a lot more than I was. How soon is soon?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending