The Student Room Group

Not taking Physics for a level but want to pursue computer science degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ajj2000
I don’t think that anyone is really clear on this, and even if they were it might change in two years. Cs degrees are hugely oversubscribed which makes predicting what the universities look for rather difficult.

Agree. It's quite interesting, I feel it will begin to slowly creep in as a requirement in more and more places as time goes on, as a way to try and narrow down the applicants slightly.
Reply 21
Original post by jimb0b
This is true about the trades, but not at all true about software engineering. In general to get an entry level SE job you need a STEM degree as a pre-requisite pretty much everywhere, otherwise you won't even get to the phone screen. That's not saying it can't happen, there are people I know who got jobs without degrees, but I also know people who went to university because despite having work experience, they were getting passed over for others who did have degrees.

I was also considering finance as a future career option so I thought maths will help broaden out my options. But I didn't want to do pure maths and I liked the computer science gsce quite a lot like when I saw it on my timetable it would make me smile. (That and maths). But I didn't like science so I didn't want to pursue an engineering degree so that's how I kinda came to the conclusion of 'I wanna do a cs degree'.
Reply 22
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Agree. It's quite interesting, I feel it will begin to slowly creep in as a requirement in more and more places as time goes on, as a way to try and narrow down the applicants slightly.

Well don't I apply based on my predicted grades, so i'll get an offer this year meaning there will be less time for it to change?
Physics is useful for pretty much everything though
Reply 24
Original post by Inspiringvisons
Physics is useful for pretty much everything though

It's no good if you do not like it and will not get a great grade.Best for Ben to stick to what he is good at and enjoys.More likely to score those great grades which are what unis want.
Reply 25
Original post by ben_spivak
I was thinking more; Durham, Ucl, Edinburgh ect type universities.

I can't comment on UCL or Edinburgh, but I do know someone who got an offer for Durham CS this year with A level Maths, A level Computer Science and a Cambridge National in IT. They did not have A level physics.

So, it is possible.
Reply 26
You don't need comp sci even. I got an offer from Edinburgh and Durham without physics, comp sci, or fm. Just a level maths. However I am a gap year applicant with 3 achieve a* in chem bio and maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending