The Student Room Group

I need help choosing my a level subjects

I currently take geography, health and social care, spanish, and business studies at gcse and i am pretty sure i’m taking geography at a level. However, i’m not sure about the other two subjects I should choose. Originally, I wanted to be an architect and I would still love to do that however I don’t take an art subject currently so I don’t think there’s a chance of that happening. I’m not interested in english lit or language and the only humanity subject i take/am interested in is geography. In terms of science, I currently take combined and I am aiming for an 8:7 or over. My favourite science would have to be biology however in my mocks I did the best in physics by 7 marks.

Overall, i’m planning on taking facilitating subjects because i’m not sure what career I want to do yet. I am almost 100% sure i’m taking geography. I don’t want to pick maths as i’m not confident or interested in maths. I really need help picking the other two and finding a combination that wouldn’t stop me from pursuing a good career in the future.
Original post by !mars
I currently take geography, health and social care, spanish, and business studies at gcse and i am pretty sure i’m taking geography at a level. However, i’m not sure about the other two subjects I should choose. Originally, I wanted to be an architect and I would still love to do that however I don’t take an art subject currently so I don’t think there’s a chance of that happening. I’m not interested in english lit or language and the only humanity subject i take/am interested in is geography. In terms of science, I currently take combined and I am aiming for an 8:7 or over. My favourite science would have to be biology however in my mocks I did the best in physics by 7 marks.

Overall, i’m planning on taking facilitating subjects because i’m not sure what career I want to do yet. I am almost 100% sure i’m taking geography. I don’t want to pick maths as i’m not confident or interested in maths. I really need help picking the other two and finding a combination that wouldn’t stop me from pursuing a good career in the future.

This is where it gets complicated.

Unless you can specify what sort of career you want, it's very difficult to say what degree you should get (if any at all), and in turn what A Levels you should do.

Originally, I wanted to be an architect and I would still love to do that however I don’t take an art subject currently so I don’t think there’s a chance of that happening.
For architecture, you can apply for 50-sih/55 UK RIBA degrees with A Levels in any subject so long you have a good portfolio during your interview. The handful of the remaining 5 unis require either Art and Design, is an engineering degree (requiring physics and maths A Levels), or the odd degree that asks for English Lit (which I think has now been changed since it was likely a typo). So unless you specifically want to go into those unis to do your undergrad in architecture, then you're fine with any subjects.
Do also note that an architecture degree is essentially an art and design degree; there's usually no difficult maths or physics involved (usually nothing above GCSE level as far as I know).
Architecture is a regulated profession in the UK (as it is in most other countries), so you would need a degree approved by the professional bodies in order to be able to get into the field. Any random degree in architecture won't do.
Likewise, should you decide to be an architect abroad, then you would need to check what the professional bodies are for architecture in those countries and see if you can get your qualifications converted/if they accept your qualifications.

In terms of science, I currently take combined and I am aiming for an 8:7 or over. My favourite science would have to be biology however in my mocks I did the best in physics by 7 marks.
Physics without maths make little sense. Most degrees that ask for physics would ask for maths alongside it.
The only time when physics is useful on its own for subject requirements is if it's to be used as one of your science subjects for degrees that asks for any 2 sciences. These are typically for degrees in geology, earth sciences, life sciences, and healthcare.
Physics at A Level is also very different to Physics at GCSE, so I wouldn't use this as a benchmark. There is typically more maths involved.

Should you do Biology (I would recommend this over physics in your case), then consider doing Chemistry alongside it. Biology is typically a required subject for a lot of degree in life sciences or healthcare, but the subject that commonly asked for in conjunction to Biology is Chemistry. Should you not do Chemistry, you're likely to be illegible for about half of the degrees in life sciences.
Do also note, there would be life science degrees that would ask for any 2 science subjects.

Overall, i’m planning on taking facilitating subjects because i’m not sure what career I want to do yet.
Not a particularly bad way to go about it. However, do note that your grades can be an issue if you're not motivated to do well in the subjects.
The best combination of subjects that would open you to most UK degrees out there are the 3 sciences + maths. Should you wish not to do physics or maths, then you would still be able to do a lot of degrees with biology, chemistry + a third subject.
Your list of facilitating subjects include:

Mathematics - required for pretty much any quantitative degree

Further Mathematics - semi-required for quantitative degrees at top end unis

English Literature - Lit degrees at top unis, but not necessarily for all English degrees

Physics - anything in physics, most things in engineering, and can be used for anything that asks for 2 sciences

Biology - typically required in life sciences and healthcare, required for bioengineering

Chemistry - similar to the requirements for biology, and then it's a required subject for chemistry and chemical engineering

Geography - required for some geography degrees (typically those that have a lot of physical geography modules), can be used as a science subject (I know...) for geology, earth science, geophysics

History - required for most history degrees

Languages (Classical and Modern) - Modern languages required for degrees that have European languages as a subject, and the classical languages typically for degrees in Classics.

Classical civilisations - typically helpful for degrees in Classics

Computer science - sometimes asked for in computer science degrees instead of maths

See: https://www.mathscareers.org.uk/degree-courses-a-level-mathematics/
From the above and based on your preferences, your choices are down to: language, classical civilisation, computer science, biology, and chemistry. Personal recommendation: biology + chemistry, unless you want to do a language in your degree.

I don’t want to pick maths as i’m not confident or interested in maths.
That's a shame, but then again I am biased.
The subjects that you would be missing out on at degree level include:

Most degrees in Computer science and software engineering

Economics and MORSE

Maths and Statistics

Finance, financial engineering, financial mathematics, and actuarial science

Data science, data analytics, business analytics

Physics

Engineering

Biological mathematics

See: https://www.mathscareers.org.uk/degree-courses-a-level-mathematics/
If you're OK with not doing any of the above, then you're fine without A Level Maths. It's still a widely requested and respected subject though.

I really need help picking the other two and finding a combination that wouldn’t stop me from pursuing a good career in the future.
Again, it would really help if you would say what sort of career you want. At least that way, I can figure out the possible routes into the fields that you want to go into.
If you don't know what you want to do, then it helps if you can give me an idea of what you need from a job, what you can see yourself doing day in day out, what you can't accept, and what you can't stand doing. There's probably a long list of questions that I could ask, but this is a start.

If you want to do the research yourself, see the following websites:
https://www.life-pilot.co.uk/job-sectors/sectors
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/sectors
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/browse-sector
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/explore-careers
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by !mars

If you want to do architecture then id check architecture on unis websites to see what subjects etc they specify before making any decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest