The Student Room Group

What subject should i choose (iam thinking of dropping maths)

Hello everybody iam taking business studies, phy, math and CS but as result is coming i dont want no C nor B as i am expecting in math. What subject should i opt if i drop maths iam thinking of eco, psychology and accounting.
Original post by its_bilalogy
Hello everybody iam taking business studies, phy, math and CS but as result is coming i dont want no C nor B as i am expecting in math. What subject should i opt if i drop maths iam thinking of eco, psychology and accounting.

What are you thinking of doing after college/in uni?

There's no point in telling you to drop something then find out later that you need it.

Maths and physics are required subjects for a number of degrees in STEM and social sciences (physics isn't required for social sciences and CS).

Other factors to note:

Business studies and economics are considered similar subjects by some universities

Doing accounting won't help you with exemptions for accounting degrees or professional accounting qualifications.

From what I can tell, you're either split between a degree in STEM or social science (is this what you intend to do?).
If you can clarify what you intend to do later, I should be able to better advise you on what to do.
For a-levels, my general advice would be pick something you think you’re good at and you’re interested in.
A-level is a considerable step up from GCSE so you need to be confident with the GCSE spec. They are also a lot more work so you need to somewhat enjoy what you are studying.

So before you drop maths, think about if it’s something you enjoy and think you could do well in. If not then you may want to consider something else. I will say that some of the physics content can get quite maths based so taking maths will help with physics.

If you have a specific career goal in mind or university course, have a quick look at what they require as this could also help you with your choice.

So it’s hard for anyone else to advise you on what to take as it needs to suit your ability and interests. Hopefully this helps a bit.
Reply 3
(Original post by MindMax2000)What are you thinking of doing after college/in uni?

There's no point in telling you to drop something then find out later that you need it.

Maths and physics are required subjects for a number of degrees in STEM and social sciences (physics isn't required for social sciences and CS).

Other factors to note:

Business studies and economics are considered similar subjects by some universities

Doing accounting won't help you with exemptions for accounting degrees or professional accounting qualifications.

From what I can tell, you're either split between a degree in STEM or social science (is this what you intend to do?).
If you can clarify what you intend to do later, I should be able to better advise you on what to do.

Original post by MindMax2000
What are you thinking of doing after college/in uni?

Other factors to note:

i want to pursue cybersecurity and business computing and yes i have researched about it math is not required majorly
Original post by its_bilalogy
(Original post by MindMax2000)What are you thinking of doing after college/in uni?

Other factors to note:

i want to pursue cybersecurity and business computing and yes i have researched about it math is not required majorly

Then pick whatever A Level you can get the higher grade in. If subject requirements are met/doesn't matter, it's then more about how high your grades are/will be.

Do note (wasn't sure how in depth you have done your research), you might want to check to see if your cybersecurity degree is accredited, and do note the alternative professional certifications that you can take for cybersecurity.
Why are you taking 4 subjects. All universities only require 3 and taking 4 puts at risk you getting the highest grade. If Maths isnt needed for the course you intend studying then drop it and go with the other 3.

Be careful about Economics and Business studies together. Some leading universities class them as 1 so you can only count one.

Quick Reply

Latest