The Student Room Group

Self catering at University worries

Hi, I am not really a cook, All I can do is make an omelet, fried egg (although everything breaks lol), toast with salad, and of course, cereal. I do not really have the wide variety other people would have such as curry foods (traditional). Also am learning veg pasta, it went alright but cooking different vegetables in order due to cooking time just feels like a lot to process.

I say I am behind in independence for my age, I do not go out much and I don't really have a fit and healthy lifestyle. Now I have just given you a lot of information, but for this question, I just want to look into the self-catering, meal preparing, and cooking aspects. I also do not have a question, I just hoped someone could reply with their wisdom, advice, or anything related to food or what I mentioned above, many thanks.

I leave school in 2024 April (well after exams technically) so I still have time. But I do not seem to always get the attention from my parents, therefore I limit asking so much whenever I get the chance to cook, most of the time it is the same recipies which I guess is beneficial.
Just practice things at home before you go to uni. Try different recipes, and remember you don't need to do a big thing based on a complicated recipe every night. For veg and stuff you can just get the general frozen mixed veg or something for example, while it's not super exciting and probably not quite as nice as fresh veg, you can just chuck it in a pot of water (or a steamer if you have one) as directed by the packaging and/or until the taste test seems right.

Pasta and rice dishes (plus similar like couscous etc) are easy options to start with and can be varied easily day on day with different sauces, vegetables, protein options etc. Things like chili con carne and bolognese are easy to make if you just get a packet mix, garlic, onion, and some tinned goods, and have the benefit of lasting a couple days (or feeding several people if you have company!). Curries can also be pretty simple if you have the right spices or a pre-mixed curry powder available, or buy jars of curry paste/sauce and follow the directions, and as with pasta you can vary the veg and protein you have with them (and the spices themselves) to get different flavours.

There's certainly lots of other things you can make but the above will cover a lot of bases and can be varied so you're not just eating the same thing every day. You can then be sure you have yourself covered the basics and when you have a bit more time and want to explore a bit more, you can find some other recipes to try out :smile:
Reply 2
Someone will probably have more detail on titles than me, but there are plenty of recipe books out there and some aimed specifically at students. Try the Delia Smith 'How to Cook' 3-book series!

Learn to cook sauces; a basic white sauce can be flavoured with herbs, garlic, cheese, tomato for pasta. Spices and a stock cube can be used for curry sauce; vinegars, honey, Soy sauce and oil as a base for stir-fries. Work out what you can freeze, use remains for soup. Join up with other students occasionally to do a joint meal and see what you can learn from them.
Reply 3
There are things like adding spices or herbs like coriander, which I do not know when to add. I also am not confident with ovens so yeah practice will do. What I mostly do not understand are the timings of cooking, although some meals are given cooking instructions I am not confident with the timings, and preparing (like preheating).

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Original post by artful_lounger
Just practice things at home before you go to uni. Try different recipes, and remember you don't need to do a big thing based on a complicated recipe every night. For veg and stuff you can just get the general frozen mixed veg or something for example, while it's not super exciting and probably not quite as nice as fresh veg, you can just chuck it in a pot of water (or a steamer if you have one) as directed by the packaging and/or until the taste test seems right.

Pasta and rice dishes (plus similar like couscous etc) are easy options to start with and can be varied easily day on day with different sauces, vegetables, protein options etc. Things like chili con carne and bolognese are easy to make if you just get a packet mix, garlic, onion, and some tinned goods, and have the benefit of lasting a couple days (or feeding several people if you have company!). Curries can also be pretty simple if you have the right spices or a pre-mixed curry powder available, or buy jars of curry paste/sauce and follow the directions, and as with pasta you can vary the veg and protein you have with them (and the spices themselves) to get different flavours.

There's certainly lots of other things you can make but the above will cover a lot of bases and can be varied so you're not just eating the same thing every day. You can then be sure you have yourself covered the basics and when you have a bit more time and want to explore a bit more, you can find some other recipes to try out :smile:
Reply 4
Alright, I think my other concern is when to store food, how to appropriately store food, and how long to store food. There are of course storage instructions such as storing in the refrigerator, however, I do not really know how to store it (do I package certain foods? in an Airtight container, or just leave it on a plate), and how long does it stay fresh for in the fridge? Things like that I stress over. Some fruits in packaging do not go in the fridge, where as others do. For some reason bananas do not go in the fridge (as told by a support teacher), would be great to know what type of foods to store, when, and for how long to leave it stored for.

Original post by Surnia
Someone will probably have more detail on titles than me, but there are plenty of recipe books out there and some aimed specifically at students. Try the Delia Smith 'How to Cook' 3-book series!

Learn to cook sauces; a basic white sauce can be flavoured with herbs, garlic, cheese, tomato for pasta. Spices and a stock cube can be used for curry sauce; vinegars, honey, Soy sauce and oil as a base for stir-fries. Work out what you can freeze, use remains for soup. Join up with other students occasionally to do a joint meal and see what you can learn from them.
Books like this are great for simple recipies but also how store food (and how long). I recommend getting a book you trust and can use before you go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOSH-Students-Student-Cookbook-Recipe/dp/0993260985/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2F434L2JQPG08&keywords=nosh+for+students+cookbook&qid=1693422911&sprefix=nosh%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-1
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
You have time. Practice.
Get used to cooking for two, so you will only actually cook once every other day. Or you might make a friend and take turn cooking for both.
Students live on all sorts, but try to cook as the cost of preprepared/ takeout is high.
Pasta/curries/stews are good and hard to mess up.

Most halls want you to cook in the communal kitchen. Get people to show you some tricks
Original post by DevilRJ
There are things like adding spices or herbs like coriander, which I do not know when to add. I also am not confident with ovens so yeah practice will do. What I mostly do not understand are the timings of cooking, although some meals are given cooking instructions I am not confident with the timings, and preparing (like preheating).

For timings just find a recipe and follow what they say, or follow the instructions. Rice I'd recommend just cooking with a rice cooker, or getting those boil in bag/microwave rice bags. Pasta you just cook until the taste/texture is to your liking (some prefer it a little more al dente than others) - you just fish a piece out when it seems to be getting a bit softer and taste to see :smile: (or apparently the Italian way with spaghetti is to throw some against the wall and see if it sticks - since I'm an eternal renter and would rather not pay out of my deposit for "spaghetti marks" on the walls, I don't do that though :tongue: ).

For adding herbs and spices generally dried herbs and spices should be added at the start (or really, before the start - you should ideally lightly cook them on the stove in some oil for a couple minutes then add your other bits to that). Fresh herbs and vegetables you add nearer the end normally. If cooking in the oven though you tend to just chuck everything in together before sticking it in the oven. In terms of what and how much to add in terms of spices and herbs, that entirely up to you - experiment with different ones to see which you like the flavours of and how much!

Quick Reply

Latest