The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham accommodation

Which is the best accommodation (preferably in or near university park campus)?What to consider when looking at accommodation? Also Self-catered or catered?
Please be brutally honest, give me all the details and tips I beg :smile:
Self-catered v Catered is practically a personal choice up to you. It won't have much of an effect on anything else but the layout of your first year (e.g. more of a flat vibe in self-catered v boarding school vibes in catered).

All catered accommodation is on UP campus and self-catered Broadgate Park is literally across the road (e.g. completely negligible distance). So if you prefer self-catered don't be put off that it looks further away.

In terms of the difference between the Catered halls, there isn't really. Everyone will think the one they want to is best and you only get minimal influence over which one anyway (you can only put a preference for an area not a hall). You may prefer the halls close to the sports centre if you are quite active or you might prefer north zone if you want to be closer to the STEM area on campus, what I'm getting at is it doesn't really matter too much.

Other considerations may be room type, mainly ensuite v shared bathroom. But ensuites arent that common in catered halls so if you definitely want one then go for a studio in Broadgate Park.

The only thing I would say from a biased opinion is to stay away from Beeston hall if you can. It isn't very nice and was thrown up extremely quickly after the Uni let it too many students and didn't have anywhere to put them. Your time won't be bad in Beeston Hall anyway, it's just not my cup of tea.

If you do have any specific questions I am happy to answer if I can.
(edited 2 years ago)
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mah1000000
Self-catered v Catered is practically a personal choice up to you. It won't have much of an effect on anything else but the layout of your first year (e.g. more of a flat vibe in self-catered v boarding school vibes in catered).

All catered accommodation is on UP campus and self-catered Broadgate Park is literally across the road (e.g. completely negligible distance). So if you prefer self-catered don't be put off that it looks further away.

In terms of the difference between the Catered halls, there isn't really. Everyone will think the one they want to is best and you only get minimal influence over which one anyway (you can only put a preference for an area not a hall). You may prefer the halls close to the sports centre if you are quite active or you might prefer north zone if you want to be closer to the STEM area on campus, what I'm getting at is it doesn't really matter too much.

Other considerations may be room type, mainly ensuite v shared bathroom. But ensuites arent that common in catered halls so if you definitely want one then go for a studio in Broadgate Park.

The only thing I would say from a biased opinion is to stay away from Beeston hall if you can. It isn't very nice and was thrown up extremely quickly after the Uni let it too many students and didn't have anywhere to put them. Your time won't be bad in Beeston Hall anyway, it's just not my cup of tea.

If you do have any specific questions I am happy to answer if I can.

wow thanks so much that actually helped quite a bit, what are the different zones you mentioned?
Original post by EMBaguette
wow thanks so much that actually helped quite a bit, what are the different zones you mentioned?

The zones are just a way of splitting up the catered halls geographically so people give a preference for a zone rather than a specific hall. There is no difference between the halls in different zones it's purely for the application process. But don't think a specific zone is too far if it is on the opposite side to where lectures are, everywhere on campus is within easy walking distance (you don't have to go to north zone for example if your lectures are in the north of campus).

Central Zone: Derby and Hugh Stewart

North Zone: Cripps and Lenton & Wortley

Sports Zone: Ancaster, Beeston, Nightingale, Rutland and Sherwood

West Zone: Cavendish, Florence Boot and Willoughby

Quiet Zone: Lincoln (part of a trial for 2020, aimed at students in search of a quieter lifestyle with no alcohol and earlier quiet hours.)

Sports zone is just called that because it's next door to the sports centre, again you could walk there from any hall though.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hiya, just to jump onto this, I completely agree! Although there are no zones anymore. If you were to apply for catered accommodation you now apply directly for a specific type of room in a specific hall! There are lots of great tours on youtube of the different halls as well as being able to visit them on open days!
Original post by LibertyoLee99
Hiya, just to jump onto this, I completely agree! Although there are no zones anymore. If you were to apply for catered accommodation you now apply directly for a specific type of room in a specific hall! There are lots of great tours on youtube of the different halls as well as being able to visit them on open days!

Yeah I had heard this but as I haven't gotten around to looking at accommodation this year I didn't want to mention it before checking. I actually think the zone system for applications was a good idea. The best-looking halls are just going to be flooded with applications like before and more people will end up disappointed they didn't get the exact hall they applied for. Even though it doesn't matter.:dontknow:
Reply 6

ooo thank you! I've had a little look already and I've noticed that for some halls the contract is for 31 weeks whereas for others it is 39 weeks. how does this work? Also do you have any recommendations?
ooo thank you! I've had a little look already and I've noticed that for some halls the contract is for 31 weeks whereas for others it is 39 weeks. how does this work? Also do you have any recommendations?

31-week licence is term-time only.

39-week licence includes four weeks of accommodation during Christmas and four weeks of accommodation in Easter vacation on a room only basis.

You will be required to fully vacate your room during the vacation periods unless you have booked a 39 week licence.

I strongly recommend a 39 week license. You may end up wanting to stay a bit into the holidays with friends and it will be a huge ag to move all your stuff in and out those 4 extra times.
Reply 8
Original post by mah1000000
31-week licence is term-time only.

39-week licence includes four weeks of accommodation during Christmas and four weeks of accommodation in Easter vacation on a room only basis.

You will be required to fully vacate your room during the vacation periods unless you have booked a 39 week licence.

I strongly recommend a 39 week license. You may end up wanting to stay a bit into the holidays with friends and it will be a huge ag to move all your stuff in and out those 4 extra times.

hmmm very true... its a lot to think about, thanks again tho :smile:
hmmm very true... its a lot to think about, thanks again tho :smile:

No worries, I've been through it all so happy to help. Halls was the best time, you will have a great time regardless of the specific hall you end up in.

I've noticed this has been answered! However, personally I would recommend 31 weeks. This is only because your food isnt included for the extra 8 weeks and the facilities to cook will be your pantry (kettle, toaster and microwave) so many people with a 39 week contract don't stay longer- it's just convenient for storing your belongings if you dont want to take them all home at the end of each term! But both are great options to have. I stayed in the 31 week and the moving my stuff really wasn't too bad and all your friends in your block will be doing the same thing (as you will be with people with the same contract) so packing together and decorating together is actually really fun!
I've noticed this has been answered! However, personally I would recommend 31 weeks. This is only because your food isnt included for the extra 8 weeks and the facilities to cook will be your pantry (kettle, toaster and microwave) so many people with a 39 week contract don't stay longer- it's just convenient for storing your belongings if you dont want to take them all home at the end of each term! But both are great options to have. I stayed in the 31 week and the moving my stuff really wasn't too bad and all your friends in your block will be doing the same thing (as you will be with people with the same contract) so packing together and decorating together is actually really fun!

thank you, its good to hear both sides :smile:
Which is the best accommodation (preferably in or near university park campus)?What to consider when looking at accommodation? Also Self-catered or catered?
Please be brutally honest, give me all the details and tips I beg :smile:

Hi! I'm a 4th Year student at UoN, and have stayed in 3 catered halls throughout my time here. I know people that have lived in self catered accommodation in first year, and I have lived out in one of my years at uni so I can give my point of view on both sides!

I personally loved living in catered halls, its so easy to meet lots of new people because you do so much together - you eat meals together everyday, walk to lectures together if you are based near each other, and you basically spend 24/7 with them. The halls usually organise social events such as formal dinners which I found really fun! Some of my friends that lived in self catered accommodation were also able to make friends with their flatmates, though they didn't really eat together. I also feel like you have more chance of finding people that are more like you in catered halls because in self catered you are kind of limited to only meeting the people that live near you, however in catered halls you could meet someone in a completely different block to you but still go to meals together and chill in the Junior Common Room (JCR).

All the halls on campus are catered halls. The closest self-catered accommodation to University Park is Broadgate Park, which is literally just outside the West Entrance of the uni, and is right across the road from a Co-op.

It's also what you would prefer. Would you prefer to jump straight into independence by going into self catered halls? Would you prefer making your own food that you know you'd 100% like? How important is the social aspect of uni to you? Also, if you would prefer quiet nights in and aren't into clubbing, there is a quiet accommodation option at Lincoln Hall.

I honestly think that catered accommodation is also a good opportunity to ease yourself into uni life as this would probably be the first time you live away from home for a long period of time and there's so many changes, it's easy to be overwhelmed by this new life. I feel like the convenience of not having to commute to uni or prepare your own meals after a long day of lectures really helps ease you into uni life.

hope this helps! If you want to know anything else let me know!
Original post by _Cation_
Hi! I'm a 4th Year student at UoN, and have stayed in 3 catered halls throughout my time here. I know people that have lived in self catered accommodation in first year, and I have lived out in one of my years at uni so I can give my point of view on both sides!

I personally loved living in catered halls, its so easy to meet lots of new people because you do so much together - you eat meals together everyday, walk to lectures together if you are based near each other, and you basically spend 24/7 with them. The halls usually organise social events such as formal dinners which I found really fun! Some of my friends that lived in self catered accommodation were also able to make friends with their flatmates, though they didn't really eat together. I also feel like you have more chance of finding people that are more like you in catered halls because in self catered you are kind of limited to only meeting the people that live near you, however in catered halls you could meet someone in a completely different block to you but still go to meals together and chill in the Junior Common Room (JCR).

All the halls on campus are catered halls. The closest self-catered accommodation to University Park is Broadgate Park, which is literally just outside the West Entrance of the uni, and is right across the road from a Co-op.

It's also what you would prefer. Would you prefer to jump straight into independence by going into self catered halls? Would you prefer making your own food that you know you'd 100% like? How important is the social aspect of uni to you? Also, if you would prefer quiet nights in and aren't into clubbing, there is a quiet accommodation option at Lincoln Hall.

I honestly think that catered accommodation is also a good opportunity to ease yourself into uni life as this would probably be the first time you live away from home for a long period of time and there's so many changes, it's easy to be overwhelmed by this new life. I feel like the convenience of not having to commute to uni or prepare your own meals after a long day of lectures really helps ease you into uni life.

hope this helps! If you want to know anything else let me know!

omg thank you so much! this was really helpful. Would you say some halls are better than others (like are there some to avoid)? Also with the different types of rooms, is it best to get the best room you can afford to to be comfortable or to settle for less to save money as I know the catered halls are more expensive. I suppose it depends on how much time I'll spend in the room e.g. I just use it to sleep in.
omg thank you so much! this was really helpful. Would you say some halls are better than others (like are there some to avoid)? Also with the different types of rooms, is it best to get the best room you can afford to to be comfortable or to settle for less to save money as I know the catered halls are more expensive. I suppose it depends on how much time I'll spend in the room e.g. I just use it to sleep in.

Though some halls do look better than others, I definitely think it is the people that make the hall, and make your experience worthwhile. For example, don't listen to anything you may see on here about Rutland Hall having a bad reputation - I lived there in my first year and absolutely loved it there, I had the best time! I have met really nice people in each of the 3 halls I have stayed in, so whatever hall you end up in, you'll definitely have a blast!

In terms of the room types, I think it really depends on your personal preference. I had an en-suite in two of my catered accommodations, as I personally wasn't comfortable sharing a bathroom with 6 people, and I felt more at ease knowing my bathroom would always be free whenever I needed to use it. However if you don't mind, this would be a great way to save money. In one of my years in catered accommodation, I had a shared bathroom (sharing with one person only) which I didn't mind because it was only with one person. Bear in mind, some halls don't have certain room types, for example Cavendish Hall is purely en-suite.

Hope this is useful!
Reply 15
Hi,

I'm looking for someone to take over my contract for 2023/2024 academic year. All bills included (electricity, water, internet etc) •Broadgate Park Albion house (shared kitchen & bathroom) 10 minutes walk from the university west entrance & co-op, 5 minutes walk from the tram stop, 5 minute walk from PureGym, 5 minute walk from Lidl, 5 minute walk from Big superstore Tesco, 30 second walk from Sainsbury's.

I stayed here last year, and I have to say, it is a very good student accommodation for first years.

It is right in the centre of Beeston, everything you need is

within a 5 minute walk. Extremely convenient for students.

However now that the price has increased, I've realised that it would be much more cost effective for me to just commute from home.

44 weeks

•£130.50 pw

Please message me if interested.
Email: [email protected]
Phone number 07865214876

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending