The Student Room Group

Top Budgeting Tips for Students

Hey there,

Are you struggling to balance your budget? Don't worry, I've got your back. As cyber security student at De Montfort University, I know how tough it can be. Let's dive into some budgeting tips!

Treat Your Budget Like a Puzzle: Think of your budget like a puzzle waiting to be solved. See each expense as a puzzle piece and approach budgeting with excitement. Remember, every penny counts!

Track and Tackle Your Expenses: Be a Financial Detective Keep a record of everything you spend. Use budgeting apps or a spreadsheet to track your money. Keep a keen eye on small expenses—they add up quickly!

Look for Discounts: Search for student discounts, loyalty programs, and special offers. You'll be amazed at what you find—discounted gym memberships, cheaper cinema tickets, and even pizza at a lower price! On our forum we have already posted some top tips for student discounts in the UK.

Cooking on a Budget: Cook your own meals and experiment with simple, budget-friendly recipes. Cook in bulk and freeze portions for busy days. You budget will thank you later.

Budget-Friendly Socializing: Look for low-cost or free activities to enjoy with friends. Explore local parks, have movie nights at home, or picnic in the sun. Budgeting can be fun!

Second-Hand Shopping: Discover great deals on clothes, textbooks, and furniture. Thrift stores, online marketplaces, and student forums are your treasure troves.

Budgeting as a student might seem daunting, but with the right mindset and some creative thinking, you can manage your finances and still enjoy university life. Take these tips, adapt them to your situation, and watch your budgeting skills grow.

Take care,
- Ilya :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there,

Are you struggling to balance your budget? Don't worry, I've got your back. As cyber security student at De Montfort University, I know how tough it can be. Let's dive into some budgeting tips!

Treat Your Budget Like a Puzzle: Think of your budget like a puzzle waiting to be solved. See each expense as a puzzle piece and approach budgeting with excitement. Remember, every penny counts!

Track and Tackle Your Expenses: Be a Financial Detective Keep a record of everything you spend. Use budgeting apps or a spreadsheet to track your money. Keep a keen eye on small expenses—they add up quickly!

Look for Discounts: Search for student discounts, loyalty programs, and special offers. You'll be amazed at what you find—discounted gym memberships, cheaper cinema tickets, and even pizza at a lower price! On our forum we have already posted some top tips for student discounts in the UK.

Cooking on a Budget: Cook your own meals and experiment with simple, budget-friendly recipes. Cook in bulk and freeze portions for busy days. You budget will thank you later.

Budget-Friendly Socializing: Look for low-cost or free activities to enjoy with friends. Explore local parks, have movie nights at home, or picnic in the sun. Budgeting can be fun!

Second-Hand Shopping: Discover great deals on clothes, textbooks, and furniture. Thrift stores, online marketplaces, and student forums are your treasure troves.

Budgeting as a student might seem daunting, but with the right mindset and some creative thinking, you can manage your finances and still enjoy university life. Take these tips, adapt them to your situation, and watch your budgeting skills grow.

Take care,
- Ilya :smile:

Hello.

Does that mean self catered is better? I'm asking as I've applied for self catered accommodation.
Thanks
Reply 2
If you go out, have a few drinks before. I am not saying go out blind drunk but it saves money to pre drink.

Girls, for safety, consider shots which you can knock back. Less likely to get spiked. Not a budget thing but still.

Buy from carboots in the summer and even resell online. My friend buys and sells a lot on Vinted.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Andi.0k
Hello.

Does that mean self catered is better? I'm asking as I've applied for self catered accommodation.
Thanks

Self-catered is better.
Original post by Andi.0k
Hello.

Thanks

Hi @Andi.0k,

In my opinion it is much better to have self catered since you will save so much money on meals :smile:

Take care,
- Ilya :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending